Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carzone secrets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The CIA will be after you with that sort of knowledge....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Solid bone primary key, opens the most intricate lock!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I think it was on here that we discussed the ID thing before and how it would be useful to approximate how long a car was for sale - knowing this could put a potential purchaser in a better bargaining position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Other carzone secrets:
    1. Don't provide any contact info on the website, despite being legally required to do so since April.
    2. Don't answer any "emails" (that naff contact form).
    3. Don't remove fraudulent entries from the site, even when the real owner request carzone to do so (via the naff contact form, as not phone number or address to be found).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

JHMEG wrote:
    1. Don't provide any contact info on the website, despite being legally required to do so since April.

Didn't hear about that at all :eek: ... do you have a link to the new regulations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

also Carzone seems to be full of:

"Toyota Corolla Opel Astra 1.4" or
    "BMW 3 Series Mitsubishi Lancer GSR".
    cars that have been sold and then new cars put onto the same ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JHMEG wrote:
    Other carzone secrets:
    2. Don't answer any "emails" (that naff contact form).
    3. Don't remove fraudulent entries from the site, even when the real owner request carzone to do so (via the naff contact form, as not phone number or address to be found).
    Contact Info: http://www.carzone.ie/index.cfm?fuseaction=TermsConditions
    and also more contact info when you log into the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jhegarty wrote:
    Didn't hear about that at all :eek: ... do you have a link to the new regulations ?

It is true, all company websites and e-mails are legally required to have the details of their registered office, reg number and list of directors, similar to company letterhead paper.

ODCE Information Notice I/2007/2:
    http://tinyurl.com/345mmx

P
    :)

prospect wrote:
    It is true, all company websites and e-mails are legally required to have the details of their registered office, reg number and list of directors, similar to company letterhead paper.

ODCE Information Notice I/2007/2:
    http://tinyurl.com/345mmx

P
    :)
    But read the T&C... Carzone is only a business name of the controlling company so they don't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

anyone else wish carzone would give you more options for filtering the searches - such as removing cars with no pictures, specifying types of car you don't want to be shown (car van for example)

Or having a way for filtering for cars that match a more specific definition - such as having MFSW, or climate control.

Tauren wrote:
    anyone else wish carzone would give you more options for filtering the searches - such as removing cars with no pictures, specifying types of car you don't want to be shown (car van for example)

Or having a way for filtering for cars that match a more specific definition - such as having MFSW, or climate control.
    haha, you can use the advanced search to select cars with photos

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

colm_mcm wrote:
    also Carzone seems to be full of:

"Toyota Corolla Opel Astra 1.4" or
    "BMW 3 Series Mitsubishi Lancer GSR".
    cars that have been sold and then new cars put onto the same ad.

You see the same on eBay, I reckon it might be to catch people who are searching for a particular model and forcing their way into the search. E.g., your example there would show up in a search for a Corolla or an Astra, increasing the amount of interest in the car. Could be relisting under the same ad though, especially by dealers...

You see the same on eBay, I reckon it might be to catch people who are searching for a particular model and forcing their way into the search. E.g., your example there would show up in a search for a Corolla or an Astra, increasing the amount of interest in the car. Could be relisting under the same ad though, especially by dealers...
    Actually I noticed it doesn't work. Carzone searches on make and model, not key words in the variant field so people doing it wont get a response because the car doesn't show up with other similar models.

steve06 wrote:
    haha, you can use the advanced search to select cars with photos
    how - the only option coming close is to select with thumbnails - but that will throw up cars without pics too.

Where is the option?

Also, I still reckon it should do the rest of my suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

should have the option to search for more than one model as well so you can compare prices etc. and also a keyword search.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes, a more defined search would be nice.
    It throws up a lot of crap when you try to find something specific.

A bit more checking and editing of the entries wouldn't go amiss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I also do not like the way that when you are searching for say a 5 series BMW that you cannot show all models together. There is an option saying 5 series but only a handful come up, yet when you pick a specific model e.g. 525 substantially more show up.
    There must be some way this can be rectified???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I also do not like the way that when you are searching for say a 5 series BMW that you cannot show all models together. There is an option saying 5 series but only a handful come up, yet when you pick a specific model e.g. 525 substantially more show up.
    There must be some way this can be rectified???

I emailed them about that exact query myself, but got no reply.

I also suggested that you should be able to select multiple counties and a keyword search.

For instance, I'm keeping an eye out for a BMW 52*, but I don't mind if it's in a neighbouring county. But I do want leather and M-Tec kit. That means I either have to have a massive search for all BMWs over 2 litre in size anywhere in the country and then manually search for leather and M-Tec, or I have to have a different search for each variant of the 5 series.

I wouldn't mind, but it's really basic stuff to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

steve06 wrote:
    Am I missing something? I see no phone number on that page. <edit, I see the address of webzone now>

@jhegarty: yes, you can now be fined and prosecuted for not having contact info. It's been a recommendation for over 2 years, and became law in April this year.

• Advertisement

there is an address, and it's only limited companies that need to display company info...

p.s. Do you see contact details on ebay? Imagine the amount of rubbish calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

eoin_s wrote:
    For instance, I'm keeping an eye out for a BMW 52*, but I don't mind if it's in a neighbouring county. But I do want leather and M-Tec kit. That means I either have to have a massive search for all BMWs over 2 litre in size anywhere in the country and then manually search for leather and M-Tec, or I have to have a different search for each variant of the 5 series.

I wouldn't mind, but it's really basic stuff to do.

It may be 'really basic stuff' from a web development point of view. However the problem is that a more well defined search will be dependant on users (i.e. garages, car vendors) entering info CORRECTLY. For example I've seen MPVs described as SUVs and vice-versa. Ditto hatchbacks/saloons. Similar types of mistake are widespread across the site.

As Carzone don't have control over data input, more precise search criteria might just increase the inaccuracy of results...:confused:

pburns wrote:
    It may be 'really basic stuff' from a web development point of view. However the problem is that a more well defined search will be dependant on users (i.e. garages, car vendors) entering info CORRECTLY. For example I've seen MPVs described as SUVs and vice-versa. Ditto hatchbacks/saloons. Similar types of mistake are widespread across the site.

As Carzone don't have control over data input, more precise search criteria might just increase the inaccuracy of results...:confused:

That doesn't change my point at all. I am talking about the county and model dropdown boxes. Giving users the ability to select more than one option would allow different variants of a model, or select counties that are handy for them.

For instance, a BMW 523 can be put under a 5 series and a 523. And sometimes a 525, as it's a 2.5 litre engine. Allowing people to select all of those variants would in fact increase the amount of results, most of which would be relevant unless the details were completely off - which you can never cater for anyway.

There is also a free text field for vendors to put more details about the car, however that is not directly searchable, even from the advanced search page.

Even allowing for the many errors that dealers make, there is still a lot that Carzone could do to improve the search engine.

There is also no option to filter by min and max mileage. I appreciate that this is often way off - e.g. people enter 80, rather than 80000 - but at least give people the option to search under these criteria and then widen their search if needs be.

also, people inputting the details incorrectly would not get as many hits or inquiries - maybe this would teach them to give accurate details about the car they are trying to sell.

Tauren wrote:
    also, people inputting the details incorrectly would not get as many hits or inquiries - maybe this would teach them to give accurate details about the car they are trying to sell.

I don't know if dealers have a different interface to Joe Public for when they add cars, but I can't understand how they can get so many details wrong. Maybe it's laziness because they just don't understand the volume of people who must search online.

well I have found a way to filter mileage by reading the URL's that are produced by simply adding &mileage_max=80000

but as for the searches, I like that it doesn't search keywords because you can search for a car, and get the cars you want unlike ebay where you can search for a car and get all sorts of crap because people type it in....

steve06 wrote:
    well I have found a way to filter mileage by reading the URL's that are produced by simply adding &mileage_max=80000

Cool, I'll remember that.
    steve06 wrote:
    but as for the searches, I like that it doesn't search keywords because you can search for a car, and get the cars you want unlike ebay where you can search for a car and get all sorts of crap because people type it in....

But if there's a field for entering free text, then there should be a corresponding field for searching that text. E.g. a keyword search for "leather", "M-tech kit", "Nokia car kit" - all that kind of stuff. If you don't want to search for certain keywords, then you don't have to. The user should have the choice though.

eoin_s wrote:
    Cool, I'll remember that.

But if there's a field for entering free text, then there should be a corresponding field for searching that text. E.g. a keyword search for "leather", "M-tech kit", "Nokia car kit" - all that kind of stuff. If you don't want to search for certain keywords, then you don't have to. The user should have the choice though.
    ye, I think the dealer secects tick box's for the extras like the classifieds do so it could be included... wonder if you can add it to the url too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Surely it would not be too difficult to have a table (or tables) that has a list of all cars in the background, like the way it already works when you choose the "Make" it only gives you the option of the "Model"(s) related to that Make.
    e.g.
    When the advertiser goes to add in a BMW 523i for Sale:

- it automatically pulls the engine size from the table related to the 523i
    - it automatically lists it as a 5 series because it says that's what it is in the table
    - You only get the option of saloon/touring because that's all the table allows (so no more SUV/MPV 523is)
    - No. of doors can then be auto-populated too.
    - It could prompt for other fields based on related important information like spec:
    i.e. forcing them to fill "Sport" "SE" or for other makes "LX" "GLX" "GTI" "Red TDI 130BHP", etc.

By doing all this to begin with it would reduce the amount of spurious info being entered. Ultimately it makes it easier for the buying public to see what they want.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine how much server load it would take and how much database input and maintenance it would take to keep a historical list of every engine size for every varient of every model of every make.... There's no way it would work.

And you couldn't list all 5 series together, because the model isn't 5 series... the model is 525, 523, 530 and there's massive price differences between them. then you've got the varients too...

Advertisement