Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Build

Options
  • 04-07-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi all,

Need a little advice on an Unbuntu Build That i'll be doing soon, Have a about 1000ish to play around with so dont do made, was thinkin something like this:

MSI K9N SLI platnium motherboard,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2
    1GB RAM,
    160GB HDD,
    Nvidia graphics (Not sure which model ,some advice here),
    Samsung Sata DVD RW 18x
    Tagan Easycon 430W PSU
    and some sorta case

I also need to work out if there will be any compatability issues with this hardware and Ubuntu. I new to Linux builds so not sure what to expect.
    Well thanks :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

You could do a lot better for <1000 my friend, Intel is the way to go at the moment without a doubt, here's a spec for you:
    -Core 2 Duo E6420 €160
    -Abit IP35 Pro €186
    -Corsair HX520 €87
    -2GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 €100
    -Samsung 400GB SATA 16MB Cache €76
    -Samsung Writemaster 18x SATA €37
    -EVGA Nvidia 7900GS €125
    -Coolermaster Centurion €51
    -Scythe Infinity CPU Cooler €39
    Total= €861
    Add some more for shipping, fans, cables and bits and you'll still be well under 1000. A kick ass rig with high quality components that should work great with any recent kernel and the latest Nvidia Linux drivers :D . That rig should have some nice overclocking head room should you choose to do so too. All prices from hardwareversand.de BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

add 150 and you will get a 8800gts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not much point getting a high end GPU if only running Linux something like the 7900GS is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

8T8 wrote:
    Not much point getting a high end GPU if only running Linux something like the 7900GS is more than enough.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll go for the 7900GS alright. Think this will do for the compiz 3D extras for Ubuntu as well.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

maceocc2 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I think i'll go for the 7900GS alright. Think this will do for the compiz 3D extras for Ubuntu as well.

;)
    LOL It'll run compiz without batting an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Quake3 on one corner, Tremulous on another.
    IRC in the background.

ATI Need to stop pricking about with the drivers and release some source to compile.
    We buy the hardware, not the driver.
    (x800XL owner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

7900 just a little bit overkill for Compiz? How about a 7300LE....

Advertisement