Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pregnant?

• 04-07-2007 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think I may be pregnant. I'm a little late, but thats been known to happen due to stress. However, thats not my issue exactly.

I don't think the father (if indeed I am pregnant) would believe that it was an accident- or possibly even his.

Thing is, i don't really know if I want a child. Part of me thinks that I do, I like babies and I get on pretty well with the potential father, although we are not really talking at the moment- but part of me wants to get the father out of my life and not have a baby.

Its all weird.

Basically I'm asking, is it normal to be so unsure whether you want a baby or not? and for such a shallow reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do a pregnancy test.

If this guy will deny its his, just have the baby and ignore him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

1. How late are you?
    2. Age?

It's common to get all mixed up when you face an (potential) unplanned pregnancy, it's is life changing after all.

People get babies, and get rid of babies, for all kinds of weird and sometimes totally selfish reasons. Perhaps you should sit down and have a really good think about what's best at this moment in time for you.

In My Opinion:
    A baby is for life, not just the summer. It should be longed for and welcomed by both parents. There are options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you buy a test and find out one way or the other.

If it turns out you are pregant then I would suggest that you get help in making your decisons and get yourself as much information on all your options.

http://www.positiveoptions.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Do you mind if I ask but if you and your boyfriend didn't plan to have children were you using a contraceptive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

notSure wrote:
    I think I may be pregnant. I'm a little late, but thats been known to happen due to stress. However, thats not my issue exactly.

I don't think the father (if indeed I am pregnant) would believe that it was an accident- or possibly even his.

Thing is, i don't really know if I want a child. Part of me thinks that I do, I like babies and I get on pretty well with the potential father, although we are not really talking at the moment- but part of me wants to get the father out of my life and not have a baby.

Its all weird.

Basically I'm asking, is it normal to be so unsure whether you want a baby or not? and for such a shallow reason?

Heya OP. Just to let you know that it is completely normal to be unsure whether you want a baby or not. This was unplanned, this has been sprung on you. Whether or not you want a baby in the future it is a suprise to have one landed on you now, and your unsurity does not mean that you could be any worse a mother. You just have to give yourself times to come to terms with how you feel about this baby, if you are in fact pregnant, and then you can make further decisions from there

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Do a test. You're only worrying yourself needlessly before you know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Get down to the doctor.

Get him to check if you are pregnant.

Why would the father not believe it was an accident? What reason would he have for thinking this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I agree, the thought of am I / am I not are clouding your judgement on everything else at the moment. You need to do a test before you even start considering your options......you may not even have to.

I remember when I found out (totally unplanned) I was so scared, had no clue what to do. It all worked out for the best though, and I'm due my little bundle in a couple of weeks.

It's totally normal to have doubts and not to be sure of your own mind when a pregnancy is unplanned.

One thing I will say though, after your get test result, sit down on your own or go to a counsellor and work out what you want before telling father and family. Dont disregard what they have to say either though, but it's easier if you pretty much have your mind made up before they start to confuse you again.....am I making sense at all??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Take a test to either put your mind at rest or know for sure if you have something to really think about.

If it is the latter - do you have anyone close that you could discuss this with? A best friend, your mother, a sister, an aunt? If you are pregnant you're going to need their support regardless of what you do.

Best of luck & take care.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Do you mind if I ask but if you and your boyfriend didn't plan to have children were you using a contraceptive?

That's like asking if she closed the stable door before the horse bolted.
    Not relevant to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If i am, then I would keep the baby. I could never get it aborted. As for the father, well he is a bit immature and I'm almost certain he would say it's someone elses. It isn't but as for whether he will see it that way or not?

I am 23, and single. I wouldn't get back into a relationship with the father (if I am) as that would not help any child. His support would be very welcomed, but no point going backwards when there is another person to consider. Anyway, I'm going to get a test today, to be sure. The worry may be for nothing. If I am, well I'll need to work out how to tell the father.

At least i'm not 16 and stuck with this issue though. It could be so much worse.

I kind of think i'd like a baby. I like kids, and babies and a few girls I know are pregnant, so I guess I'm feeling broody. Anyway, wish me luck. (I don't know what answer I want really tbh)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Hey OP,

My niece who's 20 was in your position last year,and your feelings are perfectly understandable and normal! Heck even in married situations these feelings arise!

She booked into a clinic in the UK to have an abortion.On the moring of the abortion she decided she couln't go through with it and came back home
    much to her mom's relief).

She is now the very proud and devoted mother to a beautiful 8 month old boy.

I'm saying this to you purely to give you some hope and realise it's your life won't be over albeit it will be different!! If you are pregnant and have the baby, you will be absolutely amazed at the feelings you will have toward this child.

God bless.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

notSure wrote:
    If i am, then I would keep the baby. I could never get it aborted. As for the father, well he is a bit immature and I'm almost certain he would say it's someone elses. It isn't but as for whether he will see it that way or not?

I am 23, and single. I wouldn't get back into a relationship with the father (if I am) as that would not help any child. His support would be very welcomed, but no point going backwards when there is another person to consider. Anyway, I'm going to get a test today, to be sure. The worry may be for nothing. If I am, well I'll need to work out how to tell the father.

At least i'm not 16 and stuck with this issue though. It could be so much worse.

I kind of think i'd like a baby. I like kids, and babies and a few girls I know are pregnant, so I guess I'm feeling broody. Anyway, wish me luck. (I don't know what answer I want really tbh)

Thanks

babies grow up.

get a test and then consider your options if you are pregnant. there is a world of difference between thinking you are pregnant and actually being pregnant.

Advertisement