Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wireless b/band for WiFi use in apartment?

Options
  • 04-07-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Could anyone recommend the best way to set up/the best provider to get wireless broadband im my apartment, which I and my flatmates can use wirelessly. Most of the wireless broadband packages seem to require you to plug in to ethernet, but seen as there are three of us in the apartment we need to use it simultaneously and wirelessly via wifi.

We need something that will give us decent downlaods speeds at a reasonable price too. There are so many packages out there I don't know what to go for, or how to go about using them with wifi.:confused:

If anyone could help me here it would be really great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You add a ethernet WAN router. Argos calls them Cable routers. Komplett calls them Routers. You can't use an ADSL model.

These will work with any ethernet port on a Wireless ISP. You'll get typically Wifi and 4 additional ethernet ports.

You would want a fairly good package with 3 of you. Ripwave is only for single user and may be slow.

Go for at least a 3Mbps down, 512kbps up package. With 3 people on one connection, running torrents isn't smart, especially on more than one PC.

no Cap packages are either so slow that cap is irrelevent or else have a weasely "fair use" clause that means what ever the ISP wants it to mean. Clearwire seem to throttle some traffics and forbid continious upload/download, so may not be good for 3 users.

You may be limited simply by what you actually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

So any recommendations of what package/provider to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

ntl has a decent reputation and good prices,my mate got the max pack and its excellent,6meg download and 40gig cap,u have to call them and see if u can get it,i wanted it and even though i have ntl tv i cant get it til next year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NTL is cable, they don't supply via Wireless. Your house has to be passed by Cable TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Avoid Clearwire. VERY poor speeds in my own experience....they suspended my account for an alleged "500mb upload" the other day.....

I have only experienced very poor speeds with them, others may have better experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

OK so if NTL and Clearwire are out of the question would anyone recommend a provider that would suit?

Watty, would something like this do the job?

Advertisement