Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla or VBulletin

Options
  • 04-07-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hey all, my friend would like to set up a small message board related to buying/selling items.
    i initially thought about vbulletin, like boards.ie but somebody said vanilla might be more suitable seeing as the ads would be free, and vanilla is free..i'm not sure tbh.
    already have vbulletin, with license til april next year..what would you say is best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Vanilla is very good, but to get a lot of the basic functionality you are relying on 3rd party addons / hacks, whereas vbulletin comes with a lot of them "out of the box"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I'd go with vBulletin especially if you already have a license for the next 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Also take a look at simple machines forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Id recommend SMF too. However I am thinking about purchasing vbulletin for waffle.ie. For the year long lease, do I get free updates? Are there any other snags to the year long lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Id recommend SMF too. However I am thinking about purchasing vbulletin for waffle.ie. For the year long lease, do I get free updates? Are there any other snags to the year long lease?
    From what I can see you are better off buying vbulletin instead of leasing it.

It costs
    €74 euro a year to lease which includes free updates = €148 for 2 years
    €139 euro to purchase which includes free updates for 1 year and €25 a year after that = €164 for 2 years.

That means if you expect to use vb for more than two years then purchase it rather than lease it.

• Advertisement

Do you think users form an opinion of a message board based on the software used? ie do they think less of a forum with open source software as opposed to commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Do you think users form an opinion of a message board based on the software used? ie do they think less of a forum with open source software as opposed to commercial.
    Depends on the users....

A lot of them won't even know what they are interacting with

Less eperienced users will probably favour what they are used to. Do you form an opinion Blacknight?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I recently moved a forum from InvisionFree to vBulletin,I did a lot of research and kept coming back to vBulletin which IMO is the best most user friendly software bar non.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I would say Simple Machines also. vBulletin is better but costs and Vanilla just requires too much customisation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement