Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rate Mazda Rx-8

Options
  • 04-07-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm currently looking at getting a 2005 one of these.
    The question is - what is your opinion of them?

I.e. servicing a twin rotary engine - is it expensive? Hard to find outside a main dealership?

Is it worth the cash? what's the noise level like?

I do plan on a test drive - i'm just looking for any extra info i can get.

Cheers.
    Trig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i drove the 2005 lower bhp model (comfort?), didn't find it overly quick. it gets a bit noisy if you push it hard. I hear the higher power model is the one to get. It handled neatly,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lovely car. Two different tuned versions of the RX-8, a 192bhp and 231bhp. It is also available with two trim levels, the Comfort and the higher spec Exclusive.

I've read that the RX-8 uses alot of oil so it needs to be checked very regularly. So if your the type who doesn't look under the bonnet alot then maybe the RX-8 is not for you.

Even though it is a 1.3 litre engine for tax purposes it is classed as 1.8 litre, I think alot of insurance companies load it as a 2.6 litre.

Not sure who would have the experience of working on rotary engines beside a main dealer to be honest so servicing could potentially be expensive. Apparently too some parts of the rotary engine may need to be rebuilt after about 100k miles.

Would still be on my wish list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

colm_mcm: Thanks - yeh one of my worries is the noise level - there is nothing worse than having a high noise level. I plan on seeing this myself in a test drive. When you say overly quick - in comparison to what?

bazz26: I was initially confused at the different 'CC' classifications of the car.
    i.e. 3 types on sale 1.3/1.8 and 2.6.
    Nice to hear about the oil checking - i'm not too knowledgeable about engines but i do know to check the standards :) Also, I wouldn't plan on having it past 100K (or near it).

And it is a damn nice car.

I'm comparing the RX8 with a Lexus IS250, BMW 325i, Audi TT 180, or a Golf GTI, on paper it looks quick 0-60 in under 7 seconds, but it seems slower then those mentioned above as you have to rev the car a bit more to get it to move and you're more concious that you're revving it as the noise levels go up!

It depends on what you're after, if you want a driving machine that involves you, then it could be just the thing, I just found it too raw for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Triangle wrote:
    colm_mcm: Thanks - yeh one of my worries is the noise level - there is nothing worse than having a high noise level. I plan on seeing this myself in a test drive. When you say overly quick - in comparison to what?

The Rx8's party piece isn't straight line speed, there are plenty of cars out there that would beat it. The rx8 comes into it's own when you start throwing corners into the equation. Because of the small engine it's got a near 50:50 weight distribution. As a result it can keep up with and even beat cars around a track that would blitz it in a drag race.

The low power one is supposed to be more manageable around town as it has a higher torque peak which is 500 RPM lower then the high power. I'm still planning on going for the high power though

The high power has a red line of 9,000 RPM and to get the best out of the car you have to be prepared to use it, on the other hand rotary engines love that ;)
    Triangle wrote:
    bazz26: I was initially confused at the different 'CC' classifications of the car.
    i.e. 3 types on sale 1.3/1.8 and 2.6.
    Nice to hear about the oil checking - i'm not too knowledgeable about engines but i do know to check the standards :) Also, I wouldn't plan on having it past 100K (or near it).

There's only one engine in the rx8. It's a 1.3 litre which is considered 1.8 by the tax man and 2.6 by the insurance man (which is where the confusion comes from). Also oil checking will be a lot more frequent then any other car. They say it should be checked every second fill as it uses some of the oil to keep the rotor heads lubricated. There's also some niggles you need to watch out for when buying, make sure any needed recall work has been done (PCM updates, dipstick, starter motor). You also need to be aware of the flooding issues, do not turn the engine off cold, if you start the car to move it in your drive, take it for a 5 minute drive, don't just turn it back off. The mazda alloy wheels don't seem to be the best either, they tend to "bubble" (it's only cosmetic)
    Triangle wrote:
    And it is a damn nice car.
    I don't think there's a better car without spending a whole lot more money :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A friend of a friend brought in a high grade 2004 231ps model from Japan. Cost him €19,000 all in. Can't go wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I seriously considered buying one of these some time back.
    I found the ride comfort far better than it should have been for a "Coupe" (long wheel base helps probably).
    It handled very well - certainly as good as its competitors Auddi tt/ 3 series
    I found the noise to be fantastic when you wind it up - sounds like a Messerschmidt in a dive. As for refinement - well I am used to rag tops so anything with a roof sounds quiet to me.
    And those suicide doors make it very practical, and shows the real ingenuity Mazda have.
    It also goes like stink, didn't suffer from lag like a TT and didn't need to be 3.0 either. (192 bhp would leave my 320ci for dead - 230 feels quicker still)

Down side:
    They are heavy on the petrol though, they need to be looked after (warm up thoroughly on every run) and they drink oil.
    Only for I like to get wind accross my bonse it defo would have been a contender for me.
    Oh and the inside is a bit plasticy (needs leather)
    And of course - it not as fast,cool, reliable, cheap, great mpg, high in cust satisfaction surveys as a Skoda Octavia. :rolleyes:

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

They're fantastic cars but as people have been saying, you need to give it revs to do it justice. I wouldn't think twice about getting one if I wasn't trying to get a house. I'd be more than happy to put up with the oil checking and insane petrol consumption for one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

RobAMerc wrote:
    And of course - it not as fast,cool, reliable, cheap, great mpg, high in cust satisfaction surveys as a Skoda Octavia. :rolleyes:
    Ah now, it's not fair to compare it to the Octavia, this is more like it;)

Skoda%20Coupe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Briefly drove one of high power versions from Leopardstown to Booterstown shortly after they were launched, and was disapointed. Was no where near as quick as I expected for 231bhp, but as mentioned above it may be better on the twisty stuff rather than out and out acceleration.

I also felt the cabin was a bit cramped and I'm by no means a giant.

That said, it is a gorgeous looking and fairly practical (when I drove it I had a 6ft 3 guy sat behind me) but i've always been put off by the stories about fuel and oil consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The RX8 is not an everyday car, short journeys will ruin the rotary engine. It needs long drives, no 10 minute here and theres. I cannot remember where I heard this, and may be wrong, so check it for yourself. Better yet, ask a Mazda mechanic, they're usually fairly honest compared to the dealers!!

that's true about short journies, when we had ours for sale, the engine would smoke and splutter if not driven regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

R.O.R wrote:
    was disapointed. Was no where near as quick as I expected for 231bhp

Maybe because it has a racing engine. The power is only available at very high revs and there's not a lot of torque either. Very hard to get the good out of it in day-to-day driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Resale on them is shi*te my mate traded in his 05 one for 25k
    lost 15k in 18 months !!! ouch
    people will be wary of them as they have a rotary engine
    and if ANYTHING goes wrong big bucks to put right

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

friend of mine lost the same on a mkv golf gti on trade in too,

trading in a car is ****e full stop

Cyrus wrote:
    trading in a car is ****e full stop

"Trading in" in Ireland is spelt r a p e.

Dealers here want to make one weeks wages on every punter.
    The Mazda dealer I was looking at the RX8 told me "sports cars don't depreciate." :eek:

I was delighted then to show him my MX5 - sports car, sure he had to give me a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Well after hearing all the sides - i went out and bought one.

Compared to the 99 Civic LSi i have they are da bomb :cool:

I don't mind the revs and i have a long journey each day to work so it should work out perfect.

Also, after turning it on - i just don't want to turn it off - it's like it purs 'drive me!!!!!'

I am it's beatch :D

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Triangle wrote:
    Well after hearing all the sides - i went out and bought one.

Compared to the 99 Civic LSi i have they are da bomb :cool:

I don't mind the revs and i have a long journey each day to work so it should work out perfect.

Also, after turning it on - i just don't want to turn it off - it's like it purs 'drive me!!!!!'

I am it's beatch :D

Thanks everyone for your help.

Congratulations! Take some photos of your new baby and post them up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Oh, ok. Was gonna suggest you have a look at an S2000. Similar power (240ps), 9,000rpm redline etc... all without the rotary engine fuss.

I did find the lower power Rx8 to be no quicker than my old '91 Integra XSi (1.6L, 160ps).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Triangle wrote:
    Well after hearing all the sides - i went out and bought one

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Congrats - post some pics.
    I am jealous I have to say - they are a stonking motor, even if they aren't as good as an octavia 1.4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Excellent gear shift in them. Personally, I didn't like the all-black interior.

plenty of triangly shapes on it to keep you happy too!

Advertisement