Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 registration - IMEI?

• 05-07-2007 12:29am

I was going to buy a phone from adverts.ie thats locked to o2 with no sim. If I buy a new o2 sim will I have any problems registering it? Wouldn't the IMEI have been already registered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

when you register your new sim, you don't register the IMEi

You ONLY register an IMEI where you get ftrr upgrafde credit, having bought a new phone from O2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yapyap wrote:
    when you register your new sim, you don't register the IMEi

You ONLY register an IMEI where you get ftrr upgrafde credit, having bought a new phone from O2
    true, he'll only be registering a sim pack and only get the credit due with it, €25 i think. the packs that come with phones are paired with the phone so they get more credit than the standard sim packs.

OP, the only way you'll get credit from it is if the phone was originally a speakeasy (not billpay) upgrade pack that hasn't already been registered.

no harm getting a sim pack and entering the imei to see if it works although i think you have to wait a while between getting a sim pack and registering an upgrade. i'm open to correction on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

true, he'll only be registering a sim pack and only get the credit due with it, €25 i think. the packs that come with phones are paired with the phone so they get more credit than the standard sim packs.

OP, the only way you'll get credit from it is if the phone was originally a speakeasy (not billpay) upgrade pack that hasn't already been registered.

no harm getting a sim pack and entering the imei to see if it works although i think you have to wait a while between getting a sim pack and registering an upgrade. i'm open to correction on that

You can register one IMEI every 30 days, and credit from that new phone will be pending until all the credit from the old phone has been applied.

thanks for the replies lads. I'm not even holding out any hope of registering the phone as an upgrade....just wanted to be sure I'd have no problem regging the new sim.

There's a guy on ebay.ie selling o2 sims for €23 that have €50:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280105414604&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

keep your money in your pocket.. sounds like a crock to me..
    ps .. dont buy a locked phone either....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

thanks for the replies lads. I'm not even holding out any hope of registering the phone as an upgrade....just wanted to be sure I'd have no problem regging the new sim.

There's a guy on ebay.ie selling o2 sims for €23 that have €50:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280105414604&
    That Ebay sale *SEEMS* to be an international SIM pack that O2 sell on their website? The guys just let the credit mature from what I can see.

http://www.o2online.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/O2PricePlanView?termCategoryId=&orderId=&catalogId=10001&packageId=&phoneId=11179&pkgCategoryId=&postPayCategoryId=&postPayCart=&langId=-1&fromIndex=&accessoryId=&wcmArea=%2Fwps%2Fwcm%2Fconnect%2FO2%2FHome%2FShop%2FPhones%2FSIM+card+only&partNumber=INT-SIM&flowType=S&storeId=10001&ddkey=O2SimCardOnly

JohnnieM wrote:
    dont buy a locked phone either....
    huh? why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Well if the owner was any good they would (and being the owner) be in the best position to get it unlocked by simply requesting the code from the network.. . You wont be able to get the code from the network because you wont be the registered owner..So why Buy a locked phone , when there are so many un locked out there.....imo Unless its a fiver or a brilliant BB5 nokia of some sort at a great price .. i certainly wouldnt.:) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

O2 may also assume that you've stolen the phone if you start trying to get it unlocked and are not the original owner!

Be very careful, you're better off buying a phone with no strings attached that is genuinely not locked.

Another question! I'm looking at buying a Sony Ericsson K550i on eBay UK....but will it have teh i-mode and imail? Its listed as K550i not K550iM....does it make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Another question! I'm looking at buying a Sony Ericsson K550i on eBay UK....but will it have teh i-mode and imail? Its listed as K550i not K550iM....does it make any difference?

Nope.. The imode version has special software. Look at the picture - maybe he forgot to put the 'm'. If there's an 'i' symbol instead of the globe symbol, it's an imode phone.

I think I see a "globe" symbol...thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Solair wrote:
    O2 may also assume that you've stolen the phone if you start trying to get it unlocked and are not the original owner!

Be very careful, you're better off buying a phone with no strings attached that is genuinely not locked.
    No ones gonna say you stole the phone - its pretty common for people to swap phones or sell them on or give them to friends and family members.. a network might just refuse to unlock it though if it's not registered to you.

Advertisement