Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much A Do About Nothing

Options
  • 05-07-2007 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all, long time viewer, first time poster:o

I feel i should put ahem "pen to paper" with regards to nearly every paper i see in Galway City i always end up viewing some tripe posted by people who seem hell bent on stopping the hugely popular and very sucessful Salthill Airshow, this makes my blood boil:mad: what on gods green earth is so controversial about this Airshow can i ask? The answer is "war planes" and "death machines", give me a break, The Salthill Airshow is what it is..An Airshow, not a war show its an AIRSHOW, say it with me, A I R S H O W, there thats better.

This year the United States Air Force Aerial Demonstration Team "The ThunderBirds" came to Ireland in what can only be described as Historic as they had never been here before yet the PC Brigade had to spoil it and said "these Aircraft can be armed to kill in hours".....Am ok wake up, do you honestly believe the US is going to send a high viz painted F-16 Falcon up over Iraq? I dont think so, besides all their Military Armaments were stripped from them when the team converted to the F-16 some years ago so they could have a much more powerful thrust to weight ratio for their display or "combat" turns etc as others have said, forgive me for this but i have seen Cessna's do tight turns should i call them "combat" turns too? After all Cessna do have Military versions of their Aircraft to so i suppose the ones at Airfields all over Ireland can be "ready for war" within the hour i suppose should the need arise.

I suppose what im trying to say is there is nothing positive to come from these people whatsoever, i have been to loads of Airshows with proper "war" Frontline Aircraft such as Boeing B52 Bombers ( whoops i mentioned Boeing so dont fly on a 737 people:rolleyes: ) and the likes yet where were the PC brigade? They were nowhere to be found, i suggest if you want to go to a REAL War show then you go to the Paris Airshow where Aircraft, Missiles the whole lot are sold.....or better still go to an Arms fair in China, im sure they could use some help getting all those AK's off the trucks.

Salthill is what it is, Its an Airshow, not connected to Iraq or the likes, its just a show and a damn fine one too and its free and the people of Galway and everywhere else voted with their feet in showing their support for the Airshow and the Crew who do an excellent job putting it together for us all as all you had to do was hear the crowd clap when Aircraft flew overhead that to me showed alot of respect from the people to the Organisers it was a way of saying thank you for getting the best of the best over for us to see, so now my rant is over id just like to say i hope there is one in 2008 and long may it last, and Anti War folks remember this, guns dont kill people, people kill people.

Oh and my favourite was the Eurofighter Typhoon or as some Anti War person called it the Eurofighter Tornado...... :rolleyes:

Roll on Salthill 2008, i can only wait, with over 100,000 people behind you dont let the fcukwits get you down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great Post, agree with you all the way.:cool:
    One thing you will notice, it's the same 3-4 people who write all the letters of complaint.
    80,000 in Salthill alone to watch the Show on a miserable wet day, 200 protesters at the anti air show farce earlier, and half that number were probably curious by-standers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

I'm with ye on this one. I used to know some of these anti-war types in Clare on a "professional basis". They are the ultimate CRANKS!!! They seem to have some mixed notion that the State is against them but that the country supports them. The State, and its citizens, as far as I could tell, couldn't care less for a bunch of drop-out, whinging, tree-hugging, axe-wielding, aircraft-sabotaging crusties.
    If they don't like the airshow, f@$k off and don't watch it so.
    Airshows, by their nature, are bound to have a military angle to them. Among the first aircraft in common usage were those used for combat. If it wasn't for wars we wouldn't have the general passenter-aircraft we do today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always enjoy the fly bys and the big Irish Military army guns (and small arms) on display as much as the next man but don't think for a second that I condone the war for oil or similar.
    If it wasn't for wars we wouldn't have the general passenter-aircraft we do today!!!
    Maybe we would? Who's to know exactly how things would have turned out? (just a question)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

the PC Brigade had to spoil it and said "these Aircraft can be armed to kill in hours".....Am ok wake up, do you honestly believe the US is going to send a high viz painted F-16 Falcon up over Iraq? I dont think so, besides all their Military Armaments were stripped from them when the team converted to the F-16 some years ago so they could have a much more powerful thrust to weight ratio for their display or "combat" turns etc as others have said

I don't think thats the point - no-one claimed that those actual F16s were going to kill anyone. I did enjoy the Airshow lots, and fair play to the organisers, but its worth remembering that it served to facilitate a medium of propoganda for the US Military, who are not exactly the world's most popular organisation. Yes, propoganda is a strong word, but thats essentially what the Thunderbirds are all about.

The anti-war protestors are the opposite extreme of course, their claims were a bit over the top. But they are a necessary counterweight to the whole thing. Remember the whole "dicks, pussies and assholes" skit from Team America?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Shur the airshow was weeks ago.......

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

cornbb wrote:
    but its worth remembering that it served to facilitate a medium of propoganda for the US Military, who are not exactly the world's most popular organisation. Yes, propoganda is a strong word, but thats essentially what the Thunderbirds are all about.

Can you open that up more as The Thunderbirds are the display team for the USAF, Blue Angels are for the USMC and the others such as the RAF Red Arrows, P De France, P Aguilla are all Display teams, thats all they are even we had a Display Team the Silver Swallows who won Trophies for their displays at RIAT in the UK.

But thats what a display team is all about, its all about showing the professionalism of their Air Force,just like we did with our guys, sure we have a small Military but our guys are just as professional as the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ok, point taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hi all, long time viewer, first time poster:o

I feel i should put ahem "pen to paper" with regards to nearly every paper i see in Galway City i always end up viewing some tripe posted by people who seem hell bent on stopping the hugely popular and very sucessful Salthill Airshow, this makes my blood boil:mad: what on gods green earth is so controversial about this Airshow can i ask? The answer is "war planes" and "death machines", give me a break, The Salthill Airshow is what it is..An Airshow, not a war show its an AIRSHOW, say it with me, A I R S H O W, there thats better.

This year the United States Air Force Aerial Demonstration Team "The ThunderBirds" came to Ireland in what can only be described as Historic as they had never been here before yet the PC Brigade had to spoil it and said "these Aircraft can be armed to kill in hours".....Am ok wake up, do you honestly believe the US is going to send a high viz painted F-16 Falcon up over Iraq? I dont think so, besides all their Military Armaments were stripped from them when the team converted to the F-16 some years ago so they could have a much more powerful thrust to weight ratio for their display or "combat" turns etc as others have said, forgive me for this but i have seen Cessna's do tight turns should i call them "combat" turns too? After all Cessna do have Military versions of their Aircraft to so i suppose the ones at Airfields all over Ireland can be "ready for war" within the hour i suppose should the need arise.

I suppose what im trying to say is there is nothing positive to come from these people whatsoever, i have been to loads of Airshows with proper "war" Frontline Aircraft such as Boeing B52 Bombers ( whoops i mentioned Boeing so dont fly on a 737 people:rolleyes: ) and the likes yet where were the PC brigade? They were nowhere to be found, i suggest if you want to go to a REAL War show then you go to the Paris Airshow where Aircraft, Missiles the whole lot are sold.....or better still go to an Arms fair in China, im sure they could use some help getting all those AK's off the trucks.

Salthill is what it is, Its an Airshow, not connected to Iraq or the likes, its just a show and a damn fine one too and its free and the people of Galway and everywhere else voted with their feet in showing their support for the Airshow and the Crew who do an excellent job putting it together for us all as all you had to do was hear the crowd clap when Aircraft flew overhead that to me showed alot of respect from the people to the Organisers it was a way of saying thank you for getting the best of the best over for us to see, so now my rant is over id just like to say i hope there is one in 2008 and long may it last, and Anti War folks remember this, guns dont kill people, people kill people.

Oh and my favourite was the Eurofighter Typhoon or as some Anti War person called it the Eurofighter Tornado...... :rolleyes:

Roll on Salthill 2008, i can only wait, with over 100,000 people behind you dont let the fcukwits get you down.

cornbb is making the same point as me more or less.

I didn't read all your thread but it did not take long to get the point. I think the airshow is cool but I can understand these anti-wars peoples POV.

I think the airshow reinforces things in peoples mind about the power of the military and hence people don't think theres any point in trying to give an alternative pov which diminishes the little power anti-war people have.

They don't really have a leg to stand on. Look how they blew the helicopter door thing way out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i will admit i am antiwar. but i don't really have a problem with the arishow because it's a mititary thing what i have to disagree with in the face of well the enviorment things like this are a pointless act. i know the carbon footprint might not be massive but ya know ah **** it to lazy to type sun is shining outside (long live the sunny north west) i'll reply again

*please note i'm not a complete eco warrior hippy just well me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

danniemcq wrote:
    i know the carbon footprint might not be massive

Correct its not big cars are worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

danniemcq wrote:
    i will admit i am antiwar. but i don't really have a problem with the arishow because it's a mititary thing what i have to disagree with in the face of well the enviorment things like this are a pointless act. i know the carbon footprint might not be massive but ya know ah **** it to lazy to type sun is shining outside (long live the sunny north west) i'll reply again

If I was you i'd lay awake at night worrying about cow sh*t rather than air shows! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

danniemcq wrote:
    what i have to disagree with in the face of well the enviorment things like this are a pointless act. i know the carbon footprint might not be massive but ya know ah **** it to lazy to type sun is shining outside (long live the sunny north west) i'll reply again

Look this whole aircraft carbon footprint is bollix. Roughly speaking on a global scale 40% of emiisions come from power plants, 40% from road transport and 20% from others (including air travel, animal slurry etc.)
    If we're going to be serious about tackling climate change the first thing we gotta do is challenge power plant emissions and road transport. Power plants are probably the easiest thing to change and would have the most effect most quickly. Because less face it we ain't going back to steamer ships across the Atlantic (which would leave a massive carbon footprint what with all that coal)

By the way totally agree with OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

If I was you i'd lay awake at night worrying about cow sh*t rather than air shows! :D

Hi all just noticed this, Workaccount have you been watching the BBC News too?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

kevmy wrote:
    Look this whole aircraft carbon footprint is bollix. Roughly speaking on a global scale 40% of emiisions come from power plants, 40% from road transport and 20% from others (including air travel, animal slurry etc.)
    If we're going to be serious about tackling climate change the first thing we gotta do is challenge power plant emissions and road transport. Power plants are probably the easiest thing to change and would have the most effect most quickly. Because less face it we ain't going back to steamer ships across the Atlantic (which would leave a massive carbon footprint what with all that coal)

By the way totally agree with OP

Well said, thank you very much Sir, dont worry when i see more tripe from GAAW and Co. i will air my views because as far as im concerned the Public love The Salthill Airshow.

Advertisement