Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much A Do About Nothing

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all, long time viewer, first time poster:o

I feel i should put ahem "pen to paper" with regards to nearly every paper i see in Galway City i always end up viewing some tripe posted by people who seem hell bent on stopping the hugely popular and very sucessful Salthill Airshow, this makes my blood boil:mad: what on gods green earth is so controversial about this Airshow can i ask? The answer is "war planes" and "death machines", give me a break, The Salthill Airshow is what it is..An Airshow, not a war show its an AIRSHOW, say it with me, A I R S H O W, there thats better.

This year the United States Air Force Aerial Demonstration Team "The ThunderBirds" came to Ireland in what can only be described as Historic as they had never been here before yet the PC Brigade had to spoil it and said "these Aircraft can be armed to kill in hours".....Am ok wake up, do you honestly believe the US is going to send a high viz painted F-16 Falcon up over Iraq? I dont think so, besides all their Military Armaments were stripped from them when the team converted to the F-16 some years ago so they could have a much more powerful thrust to weight ratio for their display or "combat" turns etc as others have said, forgive me for this but i have seen Cessna's do tight turns should i call them "combat" turns too? After all Cessna do have Military versions of their Aircraft to so i suppose the ones at Airfields all over Ireland can be "ready for war" within the hour i suppose should the need arise.

I suppose what im trying to say is there is nothing positive to come from these people whatsoever, i have been to loads of Airshows with proper "war" Frontline Aircraft such as Boeing B52 Bombers ( whoops i mentioned Boeing so dont fly on a 737 people:rolleyes: ) and the likes yet where were the PC brigade? They were nowhere to be found, i suggest if you want to go to a REAL War show then you go to the Paris Airshow where Aircraft, Missiles the whole lot are sold.....or better still go to an Arms fair in China, im sure they could use some help getting all those AK's off the trucks.

Salthill is what it is, Its an Airshow, not connected to Iraq or the likes, its just a show and a damn fine one too and its free and the people of Galway and everywhere else voted with their feet in showing their support for the Airshow and the Crew who do an excellent job putting it together for us all as all you had to do was hear the crowd clap when Aircraft flew overhead that to me showed alot of respect from the people to the Organisers it was a way of saying thank you for getting the best of the best over for us to see, so now my rant is over id just like to say i hope there is one in 2008 and long may it last, and Anti War folks remember this, guns dont kill people, people kill people.

Oh and my favourite was the Eurofighter Typhoon or as some Anti War person called it the Eurofighter Tornado...... :rolleyes:

Roll on Salthill 2008, i can only wait, with over 100,000 people behind you dont let the fcukwits get you down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

you'll get no arguments here....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Cessna military machines ??
    Ireland maybe?

It's not just airshows and military machines that you find these nitwits protesting about.
    These same people will also be complaining if you start a small airfield and you and your mates were flying cessnas and pipers.
    They would claim you were all would be terrorists and were secretly training to kill their children in some class of kamikaze mission. :rolleyes:
    And worse still they will get a few co councillors and media ars** to climg on board their little bandwagon.
    These asses are bad for all types of aviation, except of course when they want to transport their precious little ones to Disney world.
    Then they complain why is so hard to fly.
    Go figure :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jaysus!!!!:(

Lot of anger in here.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jmayo wrote:
    Cessna military machines ??
    Ireland maybe?
    A-37 and others.

Victor wrote:
    A-37 and others.

What countries still have A37s in service?
    Most of the countries that used them were Central and South American.
    AFAIK the Natuional Guard in US phased them out in early 1990s?
    Are there T-37s still in service and were they only as trainers as well?

Yes, I know that Cessna designed and produced military aircraft in the past, but in the last 30 years what aircraft did Cessna design for the military?
    BTW I don't count the Cessna (Reims) 172 as a military aircaft, neither is the Caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

jmayo wrote:
    BTW I don't count the Cessna (Reims) 172 as a military aircaft, neither is the Caravan.

You dont have to thats up to Governments to decide.

Steyr wrote:
    You dont have to thats up to Governments to decide.

I don't think anybody in aviation would consider a machine that was primarily designed for touring or basic ppl training as a military machine.
    Yes it was souped up by Reims but it is still not a military aircraft.
    Are we saying that if you put a paintjob on an aricraft then it is a military aircaft?
    You have to admit the C172 is a far cry from your beloved A-10s.

I know our government would claim a microlight was a military aircraft and hence the reason the air corps have been treated as a bit of joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Seems that the Yanks want to use the Cessna Caravan as a light mobility, strike, or intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft depending on its configuration.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/07/02/215281/us-air-force-planners-want-irreguar-warfare-wing.html

Steyr wrote:
    Seems that the Yanks want to use the Cessna Caravan as a light mobility, strike, or intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft depending on its configuration.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/07/02/215281/us-air-force-planners-want-irreguar-warfare-wing.html

AFAIK Caravans have been marketed as a light transport aircraft for military purposes but not heard of them used in strike role.
    I can see them stuffing the things with surveillance equipment alright and having it flying around slowly monitoring undesirables.
    Heck sure you could cram a few surveillance cameras on a Cameron balloon and have it slowly float over a city. It would be a bit big mind you and very hard to miss sitting over your house.

Still can you really say that the Caravan is a military aircraft, it is a civilian design that has been cooped into military or intelligence use.
    Now we really are getting into semantics.

Advertisement