Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm trying to discover Galway

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite things about the city?
    What do you not like about it rather than the traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I like the vibe, the variery of peeps, proximity to the sea, the choice of pubs/restaurants and the compactness of it all.

I don't like the litter, the public puking, and the posers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What he said ^^

I'm trying to discover Galway

'Fraid to say but somebody got there before ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

cornbb wrote:
    I like the vibe, the variery of peeps, proximity to the sea, the choice of pubs/restaurants and the compactness of it all.

What are peeps?

people

You know, I've been meaning to start a thread: What's your secret Galway gem but then everyone's gonna go there ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like the Tesco and the baby ducks. I don't like the Dunnes and the big ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I like the Claddagh and the Canal but not the Sp'arch or Eyre Square. Well i do like the Sp'arch and Eyre Square. But not as much. I like people-watching outside Neachtains. But I don't like any of the clubs.

I like sunny Sunday afternoon drinking outside Dew drop inn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

cornbb wrote:

You'll get that in most towns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

More posers per head of capital in galway.
    ?_?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I like sitting on a high stool in Murphys enjoying a quality pint of the black.
    Don't like Abra's taco fries when sober!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I like Galway's friendliness and charm, which is kinda eroding. I miss the days of simple Galway, which was half destroyed by the economic boom, I personally feel it hit Galway in a major way. As my friends and I say, Galway is a class city, I just wish there was more of it!

I hate weekends and the proliferation of muppets who come down to the Wesht to get locked and make a mess, and forget about the place. And the boggers/knacks. And the posers and muppets from (insert city area/university here). This reminds me of Taxi Driver for some reason:)

"Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets... Listen, you f**kers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the ****, the dogs, the filth, the sh*t. Here is a man who stood up. "

More posers per head of capital in galway.
    ?_?

Agree i found that a bit strange, never see any posers in Galway at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Good

Sitting outside Neachtains on a summer's day enjoying creamy pints of Guinness and watching the talent go by :D

Fishing for salmon at the weir

Live gigs every few years at Fisheries Field

The old Roisin Dubh

Not having to work til 9.30 and missing the traffic

Lack of posers (way more in Dublin and Cork)

Race week

The Bad

Traffic

Race week

The Ugly

Hen parties everywhere

Race week

You can't count the old roisin dubh! :p
    Was better all right, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I'll have to agree entirely with you there GalwayGuy99. Apart from the Roisín, I was never in the old one (for shame):)

What's happened to Roisins :eek:
    It's been a few years since I've been there?

They did it up, removed the old books, put fancy things up like albums of the year and paintings or sth. There is now an upstairs and a smoking area on the roof. Another bar upstairs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

jester77 wrote:
    What's happened to Roisins :eek:
    It's been a few years since I've been there?
    Basically, they've superpubbed it. It's much bigger, on many levels and there's a disproportionately small amount of seats. You now have to trek up eleventy flights of stairs to go for a slash.

It's also become a late bar so I inevitably end up there despite having no great desire to.

What a disaster :(
    Used to like going in there on a cold damp evening and snuggling up at the fireplace with a nice pint.
    Damn those superpubs... same crap happened to the Snug as well.
    And as for the Living Room, it sure as hell doesn't do a breakfast like the Lisheen used to :(

Edit: And I might as well mention the Front Door and Buskers while I'm ranting... Galway is losing it's character!

• Advertisement

I should have actually entitled this thread "Looking to rediscover Galway" as I have lived here for a good while and just moved back but am a very different person now. It still sounds like the same old sh*te from reading this thread. I'm going to have to stay here for a good while now though seeing as I'm just after getting a job.

So now I think the title should be changed for the third time to "How the hell do I become content in Galway and start enjoying it without forcing myself to like things I don't like"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I should have actually entitled this thread "Looking to rediscover Galway" as I have lived here for a good while and just moved back but am a very different person now. It still sounds like the same old sh*te from reading this thread. I'm going to have to stay here for a good while now though seeing as I'm just after getting a job.

So now I think the title should be changed for the third time to "How the hell do I become content in Galway and start enjoying it without forcing myself to like things I don't like"

1. Find a good local thats not a superpub, leave the superpubs for later in the night when the crowd has moved on to a nightclub

2. Find another local for when your old local is "upgraded" :eek: to a superpub

3. Buy a supply of chill pills for when you get stuck in traffic

4. On the topic of traffic, avoid Lough Atalia Rd and Headford Rd at all costs between the hours of 1 am and em, midnight

5. Enjoy the things about Galway that won't change - the prom, drinking at Spanish Arch/Claddagh, havin the craic outside on Quay St on warm summer evenings, live bands (even if the Roisin has sold its soul it still has good gigs), the walk along the river, spotting the strange characters of Galway...

Blue Note and then Róisín, best selection in Galway.
    Crowded but at least you don't see hens/stags/shirts and skirts brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote:
    You now have to trek up eleventy flights of stairs to go for a slash.

Go out the back and p1ss into the canal, works a treat for me

JohnCleary wrote:
    Go out the back and p1ss into the canal, works a treat for me

Sure you might aswell. All the water in Galway is contaminated anyway. No harm in a few of John Clearys slashes to add to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i remember how poky the roisin once was, where one night of a beers we had to walk on tables to get to our corner to the disgust of the occupiers of the tables. :D

I dislike superpubs, i'm surprised nobody mentioned the quays, from my first visit i noticed what was real and what wasnt. but one of my friends was all WOW when he seen the place upstairs as he obviously thought it was real apart from tacky pastiche., i dislike the back and upstairs of the place but the front is grand, as long as they pour the guinness properly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sure you might aswell. All the water in Galway is contaminated anyway. No harm in a few of John Clearys slashes to add to the mix.

Canal water (South of the locks) != Galway Drinking Water

(Drinking water is sourced from Terryland/Luimneagh)

Like; The choice of bars and restaurants,everything within walking or cycling distance and when the weathers good its a great place to be.

Dislike: Looks like its gonna be another 18 years before we see the hurlers get anywhere near an all Ireland going on that performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

padi89 wrote:
    Dislike: Looks like its gonna be another 18 years before we see the hurlers get anywhere near an all Ireland going on that performance.

Take heart then Paidi, that you are not from Mayo where 18 years is mere fraction to be waiting for an AI and sure didn't ye win a football AI a few years ago

I like the compactness of Galway you can walk all of the city in a couple of hours if you wanted. Also the friendliness of people (it's still there as most of the people haven't changed even if Galway has). The fact thats its essentially a big party from now till the middle of August. The crazy mix of people; crusties, students, workers, layabouts, Celtic Tigers, crusty students, boggers and townies. Knacker Dwarf

Dislike the way it's written off and forgotten about by Dubliners and the Government. Knacker Dwarf. The rain. Chuggers on Shop Street. Tesco and the likes for invading.

• Advertisement

kevmy wrote:
    Take heart then Paidi, that you are not from Mayo where 18 years is mere fraction to be waiting for an AI and sure didn't ye win a football AI a few years ago

Point taken, but a hurling all Ireland means more to me than a football one.

Advertisement