Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog training trouble

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I.m having a few problems with my 10month old pups training. Getting on okay with most aspects of traing and she is generally very good but having problems with heer jumping on people when they come into the house and when im walking heer. Even though I say no and down she will oblige for a moment but will keep doin it evry few seconds until I eventually have to remove her.

Also sounds strange but how can I get her to stop licking me so much If I sit petting her she will lick constantly until I send her away. But I dont really want to stop petting her I only want to stop her licking me.

She is a very friendly dog and loves loads of attention but it end up with less because of this. Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Feel free to correct me on this, I may well be wrong (spend two minutes with my dog and you'll see I haven't been the best trainer in the world!) But I think to dogs any attention is good attention. So when you push your dog down and tell them to sit, they're still getting the attention they want so they'll jump up again and again. As far as I know you're suposed to fold your arms and completely ignore the dog, don't even look at them, eventually they'll calm down and then you praise them and hopefully after time they'll learn that they only get the attention they crave when they're calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

It starts from the day you got your pup. We pick them up and cuddle them and generally treat them like babie when we get them. Then when we put the down they want to get back up there! Also, the dog is trying to show you affection - get to your face. When she jumps up, catch her paws a hold them, she'll lick them to let her down and whimper a tiny bit, let her down and keep doing it until you get to the point of you "inviting" her to jump up and she won't! But everyone must do it and don't pet her or you'll be back to square 1!
    As for walking, does she pull or do you pull her? The licking is just affection on her behalf. Give her a command like say "sit" and then give her affection as praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

When the dog jumps up don't give any attention, as mentioned, or eye contact infact turn your head completely away. When the dog goes back on the floor then give the attention in the form of a treat. From there you should be able to train the dog to sit. Without saying a word hold a treat to the dogs nose and then move it up over its head, its natural reaction will be to sit. When the dog sits give the treat immediatly. When the dog has mastered this then start to give the command. ie. sit. I highly recommend the clicker training, there are books on it or some areas may run training classes, it only takes 10mins a day but has great results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

For the jumping up, you need to train a specific behaviour, usually known as "Four on the Floor" - meaning all four paws - but if I were you I'd start with training a good solid "sit".

Take a look on www.cllickertraining.com for helpful books and advice.

The basic method is this: first "charge the clicker" - get something that makes a specific noise, like a clicky biro, a whistle or an actual dog-training clicker.

Take five minutes when you're alone with your dog and she won't be distracted, and set it aside as specific training time.

Have some *small* treats - little strips of cooked liver are good, or I often use dried cat food kibbles. Click your clicker and throw the dog a treat. Click and treat. Click and treat. Click and treat. Do this until she's looking at the clicker, and knowing a treat will come.

The next rule: *never click without treating*. A click must *always* mean a treat is on the way.

(The reason for using the clicker is that it's faster than just throwing the treat without a click: you can mark a behaviour faster.)

Now, to train a "sit" - which you may have already trained? - you choose a time and non-distracting place for another five-minute training session. When the dog sees the charged clicker coming out, those eyes will brighten - treats on the way!

As the dog wanders around, wait for the bottom to head for the floor - click and treat. Wait for the next bottom-heading-for-the-floor - click and treat. And again. And again.

When the dog actually sits, click and give a jackpot of several treats, and praise. Now only click and treat for actual 'sits'. (Don't let the training session go on for more than two or three minutes - it works better that way for both you and the dog. You can come back to the behaviour on a later session.)

Once you have the dog convinced that sitting gets click-and-treats, you can add a command - a voice one: "Sit!" or a "Sit" gesture. Do this as the dog sits, and click and treat. Then, when the dog is used to associating the command and the action, click-and-treat *only* when she sits on command.

Keep it up for a few training sessions until it's solid - it's a fun game to do this - and then you have a good solid 'sit' trained. Now you have to train it in different places - a 'sit' in the kitchen is different from a 'sit' in the garden or the street or the park.

Now you have to use it when she's about to jump up: when she's thinking of jumping, say 'sit', and when she does, click and treat and praise like mad.

I trained my dog - a bossy mostly-collie-and-a-bit-of-lab - to sit whenever a child comes to pet her, and it is so reassuring to children, and gets her so much praise!

As for the mouthiness, that's because she's still a baby. It'll wear off. You should have one big petting session each day, where *you call her over*, and sit down and groom her head and neck and ears for several minutes, gazing into her eyes, and she'll give you a few licks during that, but the amount of licks will wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Thanks a mill for all ur replies som very good info and tips!

Yes when walkin she pulls me but after she gets a run gets rid of excess energy isn't as bad.

Never heard of this clicker method goin to try make a go out of it. If not out of curiousity!

Would really love to have her trained better so we could take her on family outings more and trust her not to jump everywhere!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I have a beautiful dalmatian that I got from a dog rescue lady at 12 months. A family had got him probably due to the stupid 101 dalmatian film. They couldn't handle him and hence my luck.These are a dog that need careful training as they can be stubborn. I found that a water pistol kept handy was the best way of correcting bad behaviour. Clicker training worked great for sit, come, stay etc. But when he wants to start tearing up the house or pulling on his lead simply now showing him the pistol works brilliantly. He did chew a few up that I left around though.

Advertisement