Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stopped by gardai tonite car searched

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

i was parked up tonite with my friend when the guards came,yer one asked us to get of the car and she then searched it,i was under the impression that permission had to be sought to search the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to ask them on what grounds they are searching the car. AFAIK, the only legislation allowing them to search (unless they are arresting you) is if they suspect drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Gardaí have the power to search without warrant. However, I'm told they are supposed to exercise this right only under 'reasonable' circumstances and grounds for suspicion of the trade of illicit substances. There are a few gards on the boards here. Im sure one of them will explain...
    Personally, I would not be bothered. Just get out of the car, yes guard, no guard... three bags full .... let them do the check and continue then on your way.
    For your own sake... you should get their station and numbers on their shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

well i parked and seconds later the garda car which was in front of us turned around and followed us in,pulled right up and asked me to get out of the car,whilst being questioned (who am i,what am i doing here etc.)the other guard went searching in my car,i would have thought they have to ask my permission or at least tell me they are searching the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

oh yeah, they asked me to open booth,opened, GFs bra was in there,garda asks "is that yours" couldnt tell if he was being sarcastic or serious, so just said "its a friends"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They were looking for illicit importing of Bras obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

I see you're from Cork Invincible. What with current events I'd say you're not the only one being put through the ringer.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You weren't parked up on Victoria Avenue, were you? I saw the Gards giving some poor lad a right good going over 2 nights ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

garda asks "is that yours" couldnt tell if he was being sarcastic or serious,

should have said "no, it's your wife's". bet that would get a reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

should have said "no, it's your wife's". bet that would get a reaction!

Or as the current boards trend goes..... "No, it's your ma's!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Gardai may search a vehicle only where they have reasonable suspicion. Sounds like they were fairly polite anyway, you didn't do so badly. The bra was obviously a jibe, you never know how to answer that sorta question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

flanzer wrote:
    Or as the current boards trend goes..... "No, it's your ma's!!!!"
    LMAO!!! :D Where's Jake Stephens when you need him!:D

Advertisement