Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen Xsara's, whats the view on them?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

I have my eye on a Citroen Xsara - 1999 1.4 VT, priced at 2k, 75k on clock and 2 owners prior. This will be my first car. Insurance seems reasonable @ 1.3k (TPF&T) and Road Tax is 292eur.

What about selling on? Once I pass my test I think I'd be going for something a bit more flash.

Whats the view on Xsara's, 2k for a 1999 seems cheap. Is it a case of you pay for what you get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Xsara is not a bad car, very comfortable and the 1.4 is quite lively, you could do worse.

The Xsara is a very unloved car though, they were sold cheap (Citroen always had some form of special deal on for them) and most of them were "consumed" rather than cared for. Finding a good one could be difficult.

2k for a 99 is cheap ...but not really for a Xsara. They have gone out of fashion big time and you will have some difficulty selling it on in a year or so, especially if you put some more dings and scratches into it while practising.

On the other hand, 2k is not a lot for a car and if the Xsara that you have your eye on is in reasonable condition, you're getting quite a lot of car for your money.

Worth looking into at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

They have gone out of fashion big time and you will have some difficulty selling it on in a year or so, especially if you put some more dings and scratches into it while practising.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont say that i just bought a 01 diesel for 4400 :rolleyes:

Anyhow i thought it was a great deal and nice car to drive and only cost me 800 to upgrade from my 99 yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I imagine a diesel would be easier to sell than the petrol when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Well OP I have a Xsara 1.4 vt... Passed down from my aunt when she got a new Civic. It had 150k on it so I wasn't sure what to expect.
    Have it about three or four months now and it's going great.

Seems decent on petrol and it can hold its own on the road.
    A guy stopped me in tesco carpark a month ago and said he used to work on them and that they were a great car. he then offered me a set of wheels which i politely refused.

Anyway I reckon it's hard to go wrong for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Just an update:

This is the car I was talking about:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=732933

I wouldnt buy it if you gave it to me for free. I knew it was too good to be true. I brought a friend with me just to have a look.

- The body work was full of small scrapes and the bumpers looked if they had a few run ins.

- The milage on the car is 87k and not 75k as advertised.

- The car wasnt valeted and was messy inside.

- Radio didnt work.

- The engine looked in poor nick, coolant was dirty and underneath the sump was leaking oil / seal was broke.

- A mild burning smell could be found when I drove it.

- It wasnt serviced and the salesman has the cheek to say that I would have to pay for it :rolleyes: No service history either.

TBH the salesman had a poor attidute as well. Dont know how it passed the NCT TBH.

How in ever, I'm looking at another xsara on saturday, this time a little more wiser

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=740172

Should I waste my time? Are these chaps reputable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, i'd forget the backstreet dealers. Find the best car you can privately, with FSH, and then have a mechanic look it over prior to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid when you are looking at cars in this price range at a dealership it is usually the rubbish parked at the back of the forecourt they took as a part exchange and usually offer them as "sold as seen" without any warranty.

In this case there is no advantage in buying from a dealer over a private sale, you will probably get better value from a private seller to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I've a 98 1.9 turbo diesel with 130k miles, no serious problems to report. There are a couple of minor niggles, but in general it's a fine car; the old PSA diesels seem to have a better reputation than the petrols.

Advertisement