Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1ltr car?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Well lads, thinkin bout gettin me first car, not lookin to spend alot, maybe bout 6grand in total includin insurance.

What'd be the best 1ltr car to go for ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Finch- wrote:
    Well lads, thinkin bout gettin me first car, not lookin to spend alot, maybe bout 6grand in total includin insurance.

What'd be the best 1ltr car to go for ?

Cheers
    i don't think you should, or need, to limit yourself to a 1ltr car. When i got my first car, my insurance on it was 2200, and that was for a 1.5ltr car. A friend got a quote for about the same on a 1.2ltr car.

If you really want to get a 1ltr first - i'd try and spend as little of the 6k as possible (while not buying a death trap) and save the money for getting a bigger car a bit down the line.

Maybe look at a couple of Polos or Micras.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A Corsa would be a good option too, I had an old one (12 years old when I sold it) and it ran brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris will be about the most reliable and will lose the least when you sell it on. downside is that they are quite expensive to buy in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As Tauren said, consider spending less. For €2k or even less, you can get yourself a decent Micra that will cost you very little to drive for a year or two
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Yaris will be about the most reliable and will lose the least when you sell it on. downside is that they are quite expensive to buy in the first place.

If OP does decide to spend his whole budget, the Yaris might be a good choice

You can buy a 00 or 01 Yaris now and sell it for the same amount next year. We're finding that they haven't really dropped in value since last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've got to say Yaris too. Great little car. Or the car in my sig! Pluga plug pluga.

nice car Ned78, should sell quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Finch-

Ah yeh I know the 1trs are slow, but ill only be mainly drivin around the town like and dont want to be spendin too much on petrol.

Wouldnt go for a micra tbh lol :p Polo's are not bad but pricey i find, like all volks. Was leanin towards a corsa, anthin I should watch out for with them? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would also look at the 1.25 litre Ford Fiesta, cracking little car. You should be able to pick up a 01/02 old shape on your budget.

Insurance companies generally class the Fiesta, Polo, Yaris, Corsa all in the same catagory so ring around for a few quotes before settling on one car.

P.S. Watch out for head gasket failure on the Corsa as afaik it is quite a common problem on the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engined Corsa. A 1.2 litre Corsa might be a safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ned78 wrote:
    I've got to say Yaris too. Great little car. Or the car in my sig! Pluga plug pluga.

Ned, you'll have dozens of nuns knocking at your door for that Starlet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Seat Ibiza are a good option, not sporty but not plain looking either like a Micra or Fiesta, all VW parts too so very reliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yaris

bazz26 wrote:
    Ned, you'll have dozens of nuns knocking at your door for that Starlet. :D

Mmmm, virgins. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

/spits out water :eek:

Ned, you're sick :D

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

bazz26 wrote:
    I would also look at the 1.25 litre Ford Fiesta, cracking little car. You should be able to pick up a 01/02 old shape on your budget.

Insurance companies generally class the Fiesta, Polo, Yaris, Corsa all in the same catagory so ring around for a few quotes before settling on one car.

The 1.25 litre Fiesta is indeed a nice car but it insurance companies do not class it alongside the 1 litre cars mentioned.
    It seems to cost around 20% more to insure compared to say a 1 litre Polo or Ibiza.
    Then there's another hundred quid for tax.

Not so cheap eh.

The Ibiza/Polo with the 998cc engine is a gem imo.
    Test drove a lot of small cars last year before getting my 98 Ibiza for 2K, very happy with it.

998cc = dirt cheap tax.

A buddy of mine has a 96 1.2 Corsa and it's a nasty little slug of a car compared to the 1 litre Ibiza/Polo.

Advertisement