Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower query

Options
  • 05-07-2007 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello all,

I have a TRITON T90si electric shower which has started causing issues.

Over the past few months, it was making a really loud noise when running. i didn't take much notice as i assumed that this was normal for a electric shower.

A few days ago, it is now down to a purring noise and the water is now coming out at a low/soft flow and it is cold.

Can anyone advise me on what might be wrong and what/how i should check what component has gone belly up?

I'm thinking it may be the pump? but would that mean I have to replace it or is there anything i can do to get it working again? or is it even something simplier that i need to check?

Cheers,

Philip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like the pump. You can get parts but if its over a few years old you might be better putting in a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

If the water is coming out cold there may be an issue with the heating element too.
    If the shower is a few years old I'd replace it.
    B&Q,ABS on killeen road, and various places are selling it for 260 euro, but apparently B&Q do discount days for senior citizens saving 20% off the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 schmills

Thanks chaps, will check out which is the most cost effective - repair or replace whole unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Sounds line the pump. Could be a failure or a loose connection. I would not suggest you interfere with the electrics unless you're sure of what you're doing.

There is probably nothing wrong with the heater. There's a thermal cutoff for the heater if the flow rate drops too low.

EDIT: Dunno where you're based but the shower shop at the bottom of the Malahide Road in Dublin sells a full range of spares for the Triton showers.

Cheers FR Dougal, if i were to replace the pump, do i need to do anything with the termal cut off? or does it just reset itself automatically?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

A new one in Woodies is €261 with 10% of on thursdays for senior citizens

Many thanks for all your advice

i have another silly question, i just noticed on the woodies website, there are 2 different powers for T90si - 8.5kW or 9.5kW

what is the difference between a 8.5kW or 9.5kW ? And where on my current model would i find out which i have?

Cheers,

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the 9.5Kw will draw more current, heat the water more and cost more to run, you'll still need a decent cable to feed them,
    chances are if your shower is old that it's 9KW (i could be wrong but there was not always a choice of rating and i think that's where the 9 in T90 comes from)

Anyway schmills I see from your other post that you are going for a new shower.

Typically with the Tritons it should be a straight forward water and electric connection. Turn off the water, Isolate the electricity at the board and the remote switch, check this with a voltage meter too, and just change the showers over. Keep the connections nice and tight, and check the connections at the remote switch while you are at it, just to be safe.
    The plumbing and screw hole/ grounds should all match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

schmills wrote:
    Cheers FR Dougal, if i were to replace the pump, do i need to do anything with the termal cut off? or does it just reset itself automatically?

If you did decide to replace the pump you shouldn't have to worry about re-setting the thermal cutoff. This comes on and off sometimes during normal use.

For example, if you switch off the shower, water in the heater gets really hot. If you turn on the shower again fairly quickly the thermal switch cuts off the heater, water then runs cold for a few moments before starting to heat again.

Thanks Stoner / Dougal,

I think i will go for a whole new unit. As the pump alone will cost at least half the price of new unit.

I had a look inside the box last night and the the the wiring made me dizzy. Thats why i was wondering in another post , if a new shower gave detailed instruction about it. Seeming from the other post it is quite simple to hook up(famous last words).

Thanks again chaps!

• Advertisement

Hi,

I replaced the old unit with a new one. And you were correct, the wiring could not be easier.

The only problem i had was that i drained the water tanks before doing it and it caused a nasty airlock. it really caused me problems to clear it, but that is all forgotten now, because i am clean.

Thanks again chaps for all your help.

Cheers,

philip

Advertisement