Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraud Help

Options
  • 05-07-2007 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was checking my online banking a few weeks back and noticed that I owed 90 euro to my credit card which seemed odd as I had just paid it off fully. On checking through the transactions I saw that I was paying for an AOL Broadband line in England which I had not authorized. I rang AOL and Mastercard and they promised to sort this all out and withing 3 days I got the money refunded, great! This incident however taught me to keep a closer eye on my credit card statements since I have a habit of just blindly paying it off if the balance seems right.

Now yesterday once again im checking my credit card balance and it seems very off. I look through the credit card statements and I appear to have been charged 180 euro for council tax in Croydon? plus 120 euro in parking fines in Croydon? (I dont drive atm and I live in Dublin so this is obviously not me). I examined previous statements and found that I had paid this council tax charge twice previously in March and in December. I rang Mastercard and they will investigate the recent charges and issue me with a new card but wont do anything about the charges in March and December. Is there anything I can do about that? I can understand December being nearly 7 months ago but surely March isnt too far gone? Any help would be appreciated, cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can contact them and request that they do a chargeback if they aren't legitimately your charges.

Ask them for a copy voucher request so you can see what was signed for, by who. It sounds like your card may have been cloned somewhere along the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Poppers1888

Someone has obviuosly copied your card and is using it slowly. This happened with my banklink a few weeks ago they cleard out my account. Ask for your card to be cancelled and a new one issued so they card they have will be expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Cheers guys. They have verified that I didnt make these purchases, the name supplied with the transations wasnt my name so I dont know how they even verfied them in the first place. The problem is even though they know these arent my transactions they wont allow me to place a chargeback for anything before May which just doesnt seem right :( Is there anyone I can take this up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is no reason they cannot chargeback anything over that time frame. I suggest you try speaking to one of the supervisors or managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

BuffyBot wrote:
    There is no reason they cannot chargeback anything over that time frame. I suggest you try speaking to one of the supervisors or managers.

Cheers BuffyBot. They have sent out disclaimers I have to sign to allow them to investigate the charges and I feel like attaching a letter informing them that if they wont do a chargeback on all the charges and not just the recent ones then they can cancel my credit card and I'll move bank. Im just waiting on information form the consumers information centre about how/if I can pursue this money if I do take this course of action.

As much of a pain it is to move bank im shocked at the lack of verification BOI use with online credit card transactions in comparison to AIB. Regardless of how this turns out I think I will be moving bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement