Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote desktop to Windows NT 4.0 machine?

• 05-07-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect remotely to a Windows NT 4.0 server. I thought if I just installed the remote desktop client I got from the Microsoft website it would do the the trick but this only lets me remote desktop out to another machine. Is there some settings or I need to change on the NT machine to be able to remote in to it? I know there is bucket loads of 3rd party software out there to do this but I'd rather just use official Microsoft programs seeing as its a work server.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The only Microsoft solution available for this is SMS Remote Control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I'm trying to connect remotely to a Windows NT 4.0 server. I thought if I just installed the remote desktop client I got from the Microsoft website it would do the the trick but this only lets me remote desktop out to another machine. Is there some settings or I need to change on the NT machine to be able to remote in to it? I know there is bucket loads of 3rd party software out there to do this but I'd rather just use official Microsoft programs seeing as its a work server.

I don't have a solution but am curious as to why you still need an NT4 machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I don't have a solution but am curious as to why you still need an NT4 machine?

Its a fairly old HP server which acts as our archive and it just happens to have NT 4.0 installed on it. Its actually holding a lot of vital data at the moment which worries me. Why its never been upgraded to something more up to date I dont know but its not up to me so theres not much to be said really :rolleyes:
    I just make the most of what I have to work with ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You will need to set up Terminal Services in order to use an RDP client to connect to the server.

I don't know if NT 4 allows TS to be installed (there was a specific TS version of NT4) for administration, but it's worth a go. Documentation is scant, probably because NT 4 is now massively out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ok in the end I just went for this little piece of software called Gencontrol. Very straight forward and does exactly what I need it to do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

either that or vnc would have done the job..

otherwise you would need to install windows nt4 server terminal services edition.

ts only became built in in w2k

i would suggest upgrading/migrating that box to 2003 asap before it falls over.

if it an archive server you should be able to do it fairly straight engough without affecting users.

and remember its not a case of "if" it will fall over, its "when" it will fall over!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NT4 Terminal server is a different product to NT4 server, with lots of gotcha's and separate licenses and was usually used with citrix rather than on it's own.

VNC is yer only man.

If you have an NT4 box then check how old the Drives are - over five years and you can expect a drive to keel over any time , if you don't have RAID with a hot spare ...

Tip. If you want to use VNC on NT 3.51 remember you can't send Ctrl-Alt-Del

Advertisement