Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
  • 05-07-2007 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Am planning on converting the attic in the house soon. I know that you are allowed to have up to three velux windows to the rear of the house without requiring PP. My house has the gable end facing the road / rear. Will it be allowable to install velux windows on the slopes to the sides of the house. It is a detached bungalow with a detached two story house to one side that has no side facing windows and another detached bungalow to the other side with some side facing windows?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Hi,

Depending on the pitch of your roof, etc you may be able to get away with roof windows above the eyeline that will let in light to the room but which won't offer a view into the neighbours (without standing on a chair), i.e. you won't be viewing your neighbours unless you make an effort :).

However you'll need one window in each bedroom that can be used as a fire escape and this can't be too high from the ground as you may need to exit through it fairly swiftly in an emergengcy - can't remember exact height but in or around 1m to the bottom of the window from the floor.

Another alternative might be to put in a windows in the gable ends if the roof isnt being supported on them ?

P.S if you are going for the "above the eyeline" option careys glass nenagh do a roof window with the handle at the bottom of the window as opposed to the top with the velux brand.

Advertisement