Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Way to Sell

Options
  • 05-07-2007 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Moderators - I'm not advertising.

Just wondering what is the best way to sell a car privately? Which magazine / website etc would get the most (and quickest) results? I'm under pressure to sell and have dropped the price - but still getting no interest??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Carzone.ie with plenty pictures and a realistic price. What's the make/model of the car, and how much are you asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

colm_mcm wrote:
    What's the make/model of the car, and how much are you asking?

Celica VVTL-i 6 speed with all extras. 2003. was up for 22k - now down to 19,500. could drop to 18,500 if I have too. Thought that was reasonable?? A garage offered to buy it off me but for a good bit less. I can't take that much of a loss on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

First you have to look at the price compared to other cars like yours being sold privately. If your under pressure to sell then you have to price it a bit below the next cheapest one. Pay very little attention to dealer "asking prices".

Also make sure the car is washed and waxed when taking photos of it (i know it is hard to do at the moment), also take the photos with a nice backgroud shot rather than some dirty old building. Make the car stand out and grab a potential buyer's attention.

Try advertising it on the buy&sell, www.carzone.ie (€30 until it is sold)and stick it on www.adverts.ie (its free). Also put a sticker on the side window so when it is parked in town or in a shopping centre someone might spot it.

It can also depend though on the type of car your selling, at the end of the day a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you have a link to the advert, please post it here so that we may be able to make a few more suggestions. I'm sure the mods will not mind as long as your not pimping it.

Best of luck.

It is already on Carzone and autoads.ie, but it has my phone number etc on it so I'd rather not link it to Boards. If you want to take a look - its the only private sale black 2003 one on Carzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Also make sure the car is washed and waxed when taking photos of it (i know it is hard to do at the moment), also take the photos with a nice backgroud shot rather than some dirty old building. Make the car stand out and grab a potential buyer's attention.

Adding scantly clad wimmen folk to that pic or better still those wimmen cleaning the car will also add a significant amount of interest to the vehicle and i'd seriously consider and ad like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

rubyred wrote:
    It is already on Carzone and autoads.ie, but it has my phone number etc on it so I'd rather not link it to Boards. If you want to take a look - its the only private sale black 2003 one on Carzone.

Why did you remove the number plates - you might be putting a potential buyer off cos you can't use the cartell.ie website for an inital free check.

the internal pic is a bit dark and maybe also try to show the seats - if there leather (like you say they are) why now show it? Showing the seats also lets people guage how hard the car might be used - basically show that they aren't badly scuffed.

As Tesco say - every little helps:D

Never heard of cartell.ie before. Don't know why I removed them - just thought it was the thing to do. Would people actually pay é40 or more to do a check before they even contacted the person about the car? I've no problem giving the reg - just didn't realise it made any difference.

I changed the picture of the inside. The inside looks a bit grey in the photo (rather than black) but it's just the light from the flash.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,352 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why did you remove the number plates - you might be putting a potential buyer

Indeed. The combination of that and the statement that the car is imported from the UK would be enough to make many people think that VRT is not payed yet. Stick the plates back on and replace the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,352 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rubyred wrote:
    Would people actually pay é40 or more to do a check before they even contacted the person about the car?

No, Longshanks100 means the free check, where you enter the reg on the cartell.ie website and it tells you what make the car is

Thanks. Well until I can get new pictures up showing the plate, I've put the reg in the description. It's a bit annoying that it has a WW reg though. The garage that brought it over from england for me thought that I lived in Wicklow (my parents do) and gave me a bleedin wicklow reg. Wasn't very happy when I first saw it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Hi
    I am trying to sell a 2001 model and have it on carzone as well,with for sale stickers on the window and am having trouble selling it,Asking for 14900 think i may have to drop another few hundred to get rid of it.Doesnt seem to be much interest in Celica's at the moment,although there is a lot of jap imports about.What garage was interested in buying it off you

the jap imports are cheaper - so it is hard to sell one without dropping the price quite a bit. Can't remember cos I asked so many garages - I'll see if I can find their details again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If you want to sell a car, use CBG. I, like most others here, prefer to browse Carzone as it's a nicer site, but you asked us which is best for selling , not which looks the nicest.

As good as the Internet is, you can't beat having the car advertised in print. CBG gives you both. I got many more calls via CBG that I did via Carzone (I had mine in both).

Your car has a pretty limited market and trying to sell it quickly is not a good idea at all. Price it realistically but be prepared to wait and put up with a lot of time wasters. You might also look at advertising it via an enthusiasts group/club if one exists.

Advertisement