Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very nervouse beginner!

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I need your advice guys and your personal experiences please. I'm a totally new beginner to driving. My 1st lesson is tomorrow and I'm apsulutely dreading it. I've never even put the car on never mind drive. What happens on the 1st lesson and where any of you feeling panicy, actually panicking during your lessons and how did you overcome it?

Btw: I went with Irish School of motoring, anyone else went with them?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Don't sweat it, explain your concerns to the instructor and I'm sure he/she will take you to a big car park where you can learn the basics.

Try and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Its probably only natural to feel nervous... but really there is very little to be concerned over.

If you are going through ISM you will be in a car with dual controls - which means the instructor has a clutch and brake on his/her side which they can use to override your actions/slow the car down or whatever is required if you find yourself in a dodgy position. (obviously they won't have a second steering).

The chances of them needing to use this are slim enough - they will have seen hundreds of inexperienced drivers and will know what you can and can't handle on your first lesson.

If you are learing from a family member, well obviously they don't have dual controls.. but as a result, they won't push you to run before you can walk (or should that be doughnut before you can hill start).

Just remember, as a learner in most ropey situations you will find yourself in clutch + brake = your friend.

Just try to relax a little, driving should be enjoyable. Being your very first time behind the wheel I doubt the instructor will take you into busy traffic. He or she will probably take you to a big car park or quiet industrial estate where you can practice and build up confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Most instructors would be delighted to teach someone from the start as they will not have developed any bad habits.

Unfortunately, most learner drivers only visit an instructor when their test date is imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Honestly try not to worry too much. I thought I'd be a terrible driver, and was dreading my first lesson too but I came back on such a high cause I'd really enjoyed it. My instructor started me off on the (very wide) hard shoulder of a very wide road and showed me the basics. After about 15 mins he got me to pull into traffic and off I went from there, it was brilliant and a lot easier than I thought it would be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

1./ Look forward to it. Learning a life long skill like that is great to have and doing something completely new and nerve rackin happens very rarely in the whole of your life. Watching reruns of Fr Ted or Fawlty towers is never as good as the first time

2./ ISM are good. You may or may not hit the road on the first lesson. Prob will towards the end of the 1st lesson.

3./ You will be a better driver for learning the right way. Work your way thru the lessons and take the test sooner rather than later - bad habits do kick in, this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....and apply for your test now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sany28

Just want to say thanks to all who responded. I'm on my 5th lesson now (Next 1 on Friday) and guess what it's not at all as bad as I thought like you all said. I actually enjoyed it and can't wait to get my own car. I'm going to take another 5 lessons just to be more confident before I go out on my own. Btw on my 1st lesson the instructor spent about 15 mins showing where everything is and how to properly change the gears and then he told me to drive for the rest of the lesson. The only thing with this instructor is that he is grumpy and gives out if you keep making the same mistakes but I think I need that as I'm forsed to learn faster. I'll keep you posted on how I get on and I'll book my test soon as I'l have to wait ages anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thanks for the update :). It's great when people come back to a thread and let everyone know how they're getting on. Best of luck with the driving!

Advertisement