Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel With A Bit Of Power

Options
  • 05-07-2007 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Looking to buy a medium to large used diesel car. I do about 28k miles a year and want a car with reasonable power that I can buy with about 50k ish miles on the clock and run for 3-4 years before I have to scrap it. I quite like the volvo s60 d5. I have driven several and they are comfortbale and fast. Don't like 5 series but do like the x type 2.0d, but am concerned about its reliability. Any suggestions? Budget is €20-25k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

THERE you go.
    Seenashow you're going to drive it into the ground anyway, you may as well stay under budget.
    That engine is a stormer !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

This is the type of car I'd advise. Maybe the 330d if the high tax doesn't bother you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

Will I need to put a bicycle in the boot for when it breaks down.........

(The Alpha not the BMW)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Seat Toledo 1.9 TDi

110 hp ones are common, get a chip on ebay to boost that to 145hp

or 2005 Seat Leon 150 bhp Tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Peasant was nearly there. How about this one? Let me guess, about 450NM of torque?

• Advertisement

zoemax wrote:

(The Alpha not the BMW)

Ouch. For the love of God, lets not go down the Alfa's reliable/unreliable road again

Fiat's (Alfa's) diesel engines are one of the best in the business and the late 156's were quite good on reliability.

But due to its bad reputation (undeserved) you could pick yourself a real bargain for 10 k under your budget there.

As you said ...you intend to drive it to the end. Why burn 25 k when you could get away with 15 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

zoemax wrote:

(The Alpha not the BMW)

Only if you've room with your big book of cliches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zoemax wrote:

(The Alpha not the BMW)

juxtapositioned and mis-spelt in the same sentence........how unjust. Meanwhile the German myth continues.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I take the point about Alpha cliches. Fact is I never considered an Alpha diesel but the one highlighted by Peasant looks very nice. Still, would have reliability worries as I do a lot of driving and the only two people I know with Alphas have had a bad time (a 159 and a Spider) and this site seems to have mixed reviews for Alphas. That said I did pay €33k for a new Passat for the wifey so I am probably not the person to make an issue out of an Alpha's reliability.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Okay, first of all it is ALFA, with an 'F'

What reliability issues does your friend have with a 159?

Ok..forgive my spelling and grammar ...this is what comes of spending too long reading old posts in the personal issues section of boards for hours on end..it melts your brain (can you be straight and still enjoy get a b@@w@@b from another bloke?)

My mate with the 159 has had it back at the garage for 'electrical problems' a couple of times. Don't know the specifics.

As I said earlier, I never considered an Alfa diesel. I did a quick search on uk websites and found a really good selection of low miles relatively cheap prices. The vrt is also ok. Will seriously consider one, but will do some research first.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

S60 D5 is nice ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Honda Accord CTDi?...I loving them lately. May be going to the UK in the next couple of weeks to pick myself up one. Sick and tired of the small boot in the Golf and the lack of power from the 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

unkel wrote:
    Peasant was nearly there. How about this one? Let me guess, about 450NM of torque?

no, not quite that much!! be realistic eh?! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

siralfalot, what are you playing at??!!

zoemax, come back to us when you can at least pretend to know what your talking about, without the need to jump on a bandwagon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

siralfalot wrote:
    no, not quite that much!! be realistic eh?! ;):D

Pessimist! Actually it's even more than I thought ;)

Just looked it up and Celtic Tuning claim to chip an '03 20V JTD (175BHP / 385NM) to an astonishing 225BHP / 495NM :eek:

But maybe the one in the ad is the old 10V model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

ciarsd wrote:
    siralfalot, what are you playing at??!!

playing? me? eh!!? ;):p:D

yep the ad is for a 10 valve model, its near to 430nm *estimated* at the moment, although that is unproven as yet

unkel wrote:
    Pessimist! Actually it's even more than I thought ;)

Just looked it up and Celtic Tuning claim to chip an '03 20V JTD (175BHP / 385NM) to an astonishing 225BHP / 495NM :eek:

But maybe the one in the ad is the old 10V model?
    Fook, that's the same figures as the new 330cd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

2002 BMW 525d. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i got the accord 2.2cdti and its sweet. great power and lovely and smooth. that alfa 159 is pretty tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Fiat's (Alfa's) diesel engines are one of the best in the business and the late 156's were quite good on reliability.
    Second that....

Have a 159 JTDm now with 35,000 Miles an excellent machine, a hoot to drive :D

Ciarsd, as you rightly point out I don't have much knowledge of cars, apart from what I read in the Times motoring supplement and watch on repeats of TopGear, both of which by the way regularly question Alfa reliability. If I did I wouldn't have had to ask my original question. If you could point me in the direction of the Motors Pre-Posting Qualifiying Test I will be glad to sit it before I post again. Bandwagon - yes it was my intention to start a Alfa bad -BMW good discussion when I asked about diesels!

Peasant, you have got me thinking. A 140bhp diesel that looks that good for Ford Focus money:eek: I think I will be sorting out a test drive of an Alfa very soon if I can get over the reliability thing in my head. Mentioned in work that I was being turned on by an Alfa diesel (literally) and got the '..good engines but bits fall off..' response. That said though my brother in law had a brand new 645 which spent more time back in the dealers than in his garage, so even BMW have their problems. Will come back when I have decided which car to buy.

zoemax wrote:
    Peasant, you have got me thinking. A 140bhp diesel that looks that good for Ford Focus money:eek: I think I will be sorting out a test drive of an Alfa very soon if I can get over the reliability thing in my head. Mentioned in work that I was being turned on by an Alfa diesel (literally) and got the '..good engines but bits fall off..' response. That said though my brother in law had a brand new 645 which spent more time back in the dealers than in his garage, so even BMW have their problems. Will come back when I have decided which car to buy.

Even if it should break down once or twice more than the equivalent Beemer would have ...it would still have been ten grand cheaper ....you can get quite a few niggles fixed for 10k :D

Plus it's a 1.9 ...so cheaper in tax and insurance than all the 2.2 / 2.4 / 2.5 alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

zoemax wrote:
    . Mentioned in work that I was being turned on by an Alfa diesel (literally) and got the '..good engines but bits fall off..' response. That said though my brother in law had a brand new 645 which spent more time back in the dealers than in his garage, so even BMW have their problems.

BMWs absolutely have their problems - I find this "German Reliability" thing an absolute myth. The quality of some recent Mercedes has been quite poor for example.

I can only go on my own experience though. 2 years with an Alfa 156 - only had to service her - bar the headlight bulbs needing replacement every couple of months, not ONE problem. I had a Mark IV Golf for a year, and that was a piece of crap. Slow as a wet week, and needed constant servicing. My current car, a BMW 320d, has needed a new MAF and air flow switch. This is before standard servicing. However, it has 115K miles on the clock, so I suppose you have to expect things like that.

Anyway, long story short - don't buy into what the marketers say and what armchair experts think - talk to people who have owned the car and look at the likes of honestjohn.co.uk and parkers.co.uk.

Top Gear is entertaining, but my opinion is that they will make a car's review fit into their predetermined opinions and catchy / smarmy soundbites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

zoemax wrote:
    Ciarsd, as you rightly point out I don't have much knowledge of cars, apart from what I read in the Times motoring supplement and watch on repeats of TopGear, both of which by the way regularly question Alfa reliability. If I did I wouldn't have had to ask my original question. If you could point me in the direction of the Motors Pre-Posting Qualifiying Test I will be glad to sit it before I post again. Bandwagon - yes it was my intention to start a Alfa bad -BMW good discussion when I asked about diesels!

For a start scrap the Irish Times supplement on wednesdays for your source of motoring knowledge :) - this wednesday was no different with the Irish Times and Alfa reliability... this time bringing into question, as it happens, their diesel engine! It was a laughable read - confusing past issues of an old model with a modern, reliable, good performing and somewhat robust diesel engine - which I happen to have under the bonnet of my own daily driver (a GT).
    Same goes for the authors argument that these diesels are similarly suffering with past depreciation levels which is certainly untrue, particularly with the Diesel 159's/GT's.

Re bandwagon.. and to quote you
    zoemax wrote:

(The Alpha not the BMW)

all I was simply saying was, do the homework and see/experience for yourself :) otherwise you will probably miss out on a saving and a good deal! Best of luck with your search anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Are any of the people that would not want/own an Alfa as they are unreliable driving a newish Vauxhall diesel or a Saab diesel (bullet proof them Saab diesels)
    oh actually wait.........don't the Saabs (bullet proof them Saab diesels) and the Vauxhalls licence their diesel engines from Fiat and fit that same engine to their boring but reliable diesel cars ?

If you answered yes to driving one and still think Alfas are unreliable then isn't it time you woke up and realised what you have been missing.

As to the car...1.9 156 or a 2.4 if you don't mind the tax. 4 years of Alfa ownership, first 3 with petrols...nuff said....last while in a diesel. 10k so far (70k on car), nothing gone wrong bar 1 broken wire on the battery connector which could happen any car (and does). Servicing costs, about 75% of what we pay for BMW services and not a lot more than we pay for Peugeot service. Style - buckets of it, unbeatable for any sane amount of money. We have a 330d and an Alfa 156, 330d is newish but never turns heads, the Alfa regularly turns heads and collects comments, all of the right kind, and thats at 4 years old. Silly as this may sound, but even though I have owned the 156 a while i still look back at it in car parks, still love and admire the lines and still would not change it for any other box on wheels currently out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

A4 1.9tdi 130bhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Out of curiosity, waht do we call a "diesel with a bit of power" ? reason I ask is we have 3 diesels in the house, 2 regularly driven by my partner, the 3rd is MINE (hands off). She describes one as "quite nippy and fun" and the other as "a bit faster" and the third as "very fast, thats too fast". So where do we place the cutoff ?

The 3 cars are 90bhp Pug 206, 230bhp BMW330d and an 200bhp Alfa - in that order.

Personally I place it at about 150bhp minimum as anything below that is not a "bit of power" for a diesel these days (not to me anwyay). 120 and 130 bhp diesels are pretty commonplace. Maybe the original poster would like to answer too as my answer to his original question will be totally different cars based on what he calls "a bit of power".

Advertisement