Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anandtech piss off MS and hardware vendors (probably)

Options
  • 05-07-2007 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3029&p=7

In which Anandtech burns the DX10 hype to the ground and then salts the earth for good measure. Actually, they're more polite than that, but the numbers don't lie. High end parts like the 8800 and 2900 overperform in dx9, but dx10 brings them to their knees, to no good purpose since most of what developers will actually be using in dx10 can be done in dx9 codepaths. MS won't be happy with this latest round of "why bother with vista" press and NV and AMD will be equally unhappy that their dx10 parts are being run down.

Interesting times ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't think its simply a hardware problem, I think that we will have to endure the usual transition for developers to familiarise themselves with DX10.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

The thing about DX10 is it is actually easier on resources than DX9, but that's only if you don't add the the additional eye candy it's capable of i.e. essentialy write DX9 quality graphics in DX10. G80 and R600 are in reality just DX9 cards with a DX10 sticker on the box, R650/G90 is where DX10 will be at, so prepare to upgrade if you want to play Crysis and UT2007 in DX10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Making any sort of judgment so soon is just silly everyone said DX9 sucked when that came out as games that didn't use it right ran slower than DX8 games.

The same thing is just repeating itself it will take time for drivers/engines/developers to mature so the best can be gotten out of it. Expecting everything to be smooth as silk overnight is highly unrealistic.

DX10 is just an API that opens up more possibilities for developers it is not slower than DX9 as an API it just means developers can do a lot more thats all, some choose to push eye candy as a means of selling it to end users which is the usual way.

None of those games are DX10 games from the ground up, Lost Planet and Call of Juarez (Dx10 version) are Xbox 360 games so the engines are heavily optimized for Direct3D 9 and the Xenos GPU in the Xbox 360 which is roughly a DX9.5 class GPU, DX10 support was bolted onto Company of Heroes with weak IQ benefits which only slowed performance as there was more work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I agree it’s too early to decide yet, however I think the point about the mainstream GPU’s such as the 8600 and the 2600 limiting the development of titles for the next few years makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Remember when the first dx9 cards came out (5800) they were great dx8 performers, but when it came to dx9 they were a steaming pile of ****e. Its always the same with a first generation of card. And driver issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement