Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FIAT 500 launched today

Options
  • 05-07-2007 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly 50 years after the launch of the original FIAT 500. Fantastic design. I want one :D

Will it be a huge commercial success?

fiat_500_launch.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Depends on how well it compares to the Aygos of this world.

Otherwise I think its definetly more "new MINI" than "new Beetle" so should do fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looks very bmw-mini at the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was so excited about this, I was gonna order a diesel one for about the city, as the wifes car - but guess what - she hates the look of it !

I always said she has no taste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Crazy as it sounds, I like this. I hope it's reliable, as it has the potential to be a clever little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I think I see the replacement to my Mam's Panda. I'm not a fan of FIATs but after nearly 4 years of absolute trouble free driving, I will definitely be pushing my Mam to buy this as it looks the biz, although I still reserve judgement until I see the Irish spec car on steel wheels and plastic mouldings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

peasant wrote:
    Otherwise I think its definetly more "new MINI" than "new Beetle" so should do fairly well.

+1

However its gonna be c.E20k, which is mucho money, tho cheaper than the MINI.

Gets my thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ned78 wrote:
    Crazy as it sounds, I like this. I hope it's reliable, as it has the potential to be a clever little car.

I agree. It's very retro in a modern sort of way, if you know what I mean. Hopefully the Fiat factor won't put people off buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel

tc20 wrote:
    its gonna be c.E20k, which is mucho money

Source? That sounds way too much even for Ireland. The cheapest Panda in Ireland is €12k. The cheapest Toyota Yaris is €16k. I'd expect the entry 500 to be priced like the latter
    ned78 wrote:
    Crazy as it sounds, I like this

The motoring press will have us believe the 500 and the MINI are competitors. I can't see it myself really. The FIAT should be an entry level cheap car, as was the original 500

Unless FIAT comes up with some crazy Abarth version, I'd think the 500 and the MINI will peacefully co-exist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

unkel wrote:
    Source? That sounds way too much even for Ireland. The cheapest Panda in Ireland is €12k. The cheapest Toyota Yaris is €16k. I'd expect the entry 500 to be priced like the latter

The motoring press will have us believe the 500 and the MINI are competitors. I can't see it myself really. The FIAT should be an entry level cheap car, as was the original 500

Unless FIAT comes up with some crazy Abarth version, I'd think the 500 and the MINI will peacefully co-exist :D

It is going to be an upmarket chic sorta car just like the Mini.
    And yep theres an Abarth coming too, if you search the web its been spied at the ring in testing.

unkel wrote:

yesterdays Irish Times motoring supplement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2007/07/05/afx3885859.html

base price in Italy is projected to be 10,500 which is 1800 euro more than the base model Panda which has 2 more doors, essentially the same chassis design, same engine and gearbox. I couldn't justify paying 1800 euro more for essentially a more cramped version of the same car.

Sadly the new twin-cylinder engine won't be ready until 2009 which was one of the most interesting things about the car.

Hopefully the Ford KA version of the 500 will be cheaper and better specified

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:

The Panda sits in the class below the Yaris. The Panda competes with the likes of the Ford Ka whereas the Yaris competes with the likes of the Grande Punto. That is why there is such a difference in price.

I'm not sure where the 500 is going to slot into, I presume it is replacing the Seicento?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 500 is going to slot into a niche market, it'll be bought mainly for its looks, much like a MINI or Beetle, but will be more affordable. I'd say its main competition will be the new Twingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New Ford Ka which will use most of the 500's underpinings will probably be more affordable being aimed at the volume city car market. I think the most appealing thing is that the excellent 1.3 Fiat Multi-jet diesel will also be available in the new Ka.

According to a motor magazine I got in Italy, it'll be under 10,000 euro. allowing for VRT and 20k seems unlikely. Maybe the 150bhp Abarth version will be 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

10k according to today's Indo..........a Sporting/Abarth could be just the thing I need.........:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I'd nearly buy one if I needed another car! (which I'm told I don't)

tc20 wrote:
    yesterdays Irish Times motoring supplement

reread the article this morning, and it said the 500 will be priced at the upper reaches of the Panda pricelines, so it will be sub 20K. Tho i reckon the Abarth version will be around the 20K mark

Mailman wrote:
    base price in Italy is projected to be 10,500

Forbes is spot on. The 500 went on sale in Italy today and the base price is indeed €10,500 according to fiat.it
    RobAMerc wrote:
    theres an Abarth coming too, if you search the web its been spied at the ring in testing.

Indeed. 970KG / 200BHP from a turbocharged 1.6l engine and 0-100km/h in 5.8s :eek:
    I'll have one thanks :D

Here is the clip

I reckon it'll tempt a few potential MINI customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

tc20 wrote:
    +1

However its gonna be c.E20k, which is mucho money, tho cheaper than the MINI.

Gets my thumbs up
    20K???:eek: Are you serious??? what is it with these companies bringing out these retro 'people' cars and slapping a huge price tag on them???:mad:

It looks really cool. I thought they were bringing it back out to replace the Seicento. Who do Fiat think they are?? :mad:

have you missed thwe previous threads stating what the starting price is? Any top of the range model is going to be more expensive. conmpare a MINI one and a Cooper S for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

colm_mcm wrote:
    have you missed thwe previous threads stating what the starting price is? Any top of the range model is going to be more expensive. conmpare a MINI one and a Cooper S for example
    It appears I have :o E10,500 is more like it

colm_mcm wrote:
    I reckon it'll tempt a few potential MINI customers.

A few is probably right. Mind, if there is going to be such a thing as a 200BHP Abarth and if it will be for sale for €20k (I doubt it), it will offer serious value for money compared to other hot hatches such as the 207 RC (€27k), Corsa OPC (€29k), MINI Cooper S (€30k), Clio Sport (€32k), Golf GTI (€35k), Civic Type-R (€37k)

It appears I have :o E10,500 is more like it

You might want to read the thread one more time. That's the price in Italy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

maybe 20,000 for a 500 Giardineria if they decide to build it to compete with the Mini Traveller? The original lasted till I977 with suicide doors. Is this 500 built in Italy or........poland.?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Poland.

If they start at ten and a half k, sign me up :)

Perfect car for the missus (but I may borrow it on occasion).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was reading one of the motors supplimnets yesterday and they had a write up on the 500. Apparently they're offering a 5 year / 500,000 km warranty, thats right five hundred thousand km. Obvioulsy this is effectively a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty in the real world and the 500 thousand is a play in the 500 name but 5 years is impressive all the same.

Yeah I read about the extended warranty. The only source I've seen for it is the (big) press pack. It was vague about it. Reading between the lines I got the impression the extended warranty only comes with some of the financing options. From memory - like the one that whatever 500 you buy with whatever number of options ticked, you only pay off €5 a day - no deposit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Reading and article on the 500 Abrath the Auto-Express website yesterday which said that the Abrath with come in 3 versions; 135BHP, 150bhp 500s and a 200bhp 595SS, with prices expected to start at £15,500. for the Abrath range. Link to the article.

I think that pretty much prices it out of the Irish market unless this new VRT system comes into place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement