Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Should I do with my Car ???

Options
  • 05-07-2007 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Here is the question.

(im not advertising)

I have a 2003 car. I brought it from England when I was coming back to Ireland.

Anyway. I have now :rolleyes: found out that I have to Pay VRT on the car. And it aint cheap :eek:

But what Can I do? No one is going to buy a english reg car are they? And I cant go back to england to sell it. Im stuck with it, and one of these days a cop is going to pull me over with it.

What should I do?

How would I go about selling it? What places would you recommend.

car description, etc. removed as its unnecessary for the thread!

:o
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

There are planty of British reg cars on carzone, someone will take it and pay the VRT himself. How much is the VRT btw?, and whats the value of the car (approx) if it had irish reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=695215

so 20k minus VRT price = your asking price, and u can bargain as much as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Try to sell it into the North maybe (if you get no takers here) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 l33t-krew

Ok. The VRT is 5181 euros :eek: :(

Rip of bas****:mad:

So im looking at around 10 for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

No it's more like €14k - €15k you ask on your sale, then the person buying it pays the ~€5k for VRT on top of that.

But if you're letting it off for €10k I'm sure one of us will take ti off your hands:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought you (importer) are obliged to pay the VRT immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

With a sale like this you can work it so the Purchaser does it. I assume you (OP) have the V5 documentation?
    You fill in the "Permanent Export" section of the V5. This gets sent back to Swansea. It will also work in the purchaser's favour as they are the only name on any info relating to the Irish VLC. Plus they know how much VRT was paid.
    It would be as if the Purchaser had gone over to the UK & bought the car off the OP over there. Why would you go to the bother of registering it here in OPs name & then subsequently registering it in the new owner's name?

No it's more like €14k - €15k you ask on your sale, then the person buying it pays the ~€5k for VRT on top of that.

But if you're letting it off for €10k I'm sure one of us will take ti off your hands:D

14k-15k eh?

That would be very good. This car was brought for my wife. We have 7 children so it was brought specifically for just us. Unfortunalty it hasnt worked out as such :D

Absolutly beautiful and so lovely to drive. I just threw on 4 new tyres on it. Falken FK-452 and Toyo Proxies.

Apparently this is the facelife edition when they uprate the alloys, suspension etc. :)

heh...hehhehhe..

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Only if you bring it on public roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tony Danza wrote:
    Only if you bring it on public roads.

www.revenue.ie suggests otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

www.revenue.ie suggests otherwise.
    I read that before, but I think if every car that came into the country had to be registered straight away and not just when on public roads, wouldn't it make being a car dealer an impossiblity??
    In reality though if you have an English reg car with no tax/insurance parked on your driveway, a customs officer/guard isn't going to be setting up a checkpoint at your front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 I_was_banned

Tony Danza wrote:
    I read that before, but I think if every car that came into the country had to be registered straight away and not just when on public roads, wouldn't it make being a car dealer an impossiblity??
    In reality though if you have an English reg car with no tax/insurance parked on your driveway, a customs officer/guard isn't going to be setting up a checkpoint at your front door.

Hell dude, I would never drive my car uninsured thats just wrong. Also im not a cheap bas*ard. My car has an MOT, Insurance AND tax.

Still looking to sell it. :( I dont know how to go about it :(

I am the second owner from new. I knew the first owner well and he only sold it because he had an accident at work which totally paralysed his lower half :eek:

So he needed to buy the car and the wifes anniversary was coming up ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its a nice car you should keep it. Have one myself and its hard to get a better drive for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

OP, did you only just buy the car before moving over here ? If you have owned the car 6 months while living in the UK (and can prove that) you can import it with no VRT as a personal import, you can't sell it for 12 months then though. Just in case you didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OKenora wrote:
    OP, did you only just buy the car before moving over here ? If you have owned the car 6 months while living in the UK (and can prove that) you can import it with no VRT as a personal import, you can't sell it for 12 months then though. Just in case you didn't know that.
    Must have lived abroad for at least 12 months (student does not qualify), and have owned and used the car for at least 6 months. And have sufficient documents to prove the above.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hardox

situation:i'm driving the car with lithuanian reg,came for a temporary work and the next year going back home,every time gards stop me,they claim that i have to register the car i ireland and of course pay vrt,(one time the car was seized even).
    question:if i'll register my car here and will pay the vrt,will they give me back this vrt when i will be going home?
    as i understand the vrt was made due to protection the irish car market from the imports.But in this case the car will be exported from Ireland.
    And another thing how they can appreciate the value of the car,which is the left hand drive car?
    would be very appreciative for answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No they will not give it back. You can find out how much the VRT will be by going here: https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

You may well be better off taking the car back home and then buying an irish registered banger when you get back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

hardox wrote:
    situation:i'm driving the car with lithuanian reg,came for a temporary work and the next year going back home,every time gards stop me,they claim that i have to register the car i ireland and of course pay vrt,(one time the car was seized even).
    question:if i'll register my car here and will pay the vrt,will they give me back this vrt when i will be going home?
    as i understand the vrt was made due to protection the irish car market from the imports.But in this case the car will be exported from Ireland.
    And another thing how they can appreciate the value of the car,which is the left hand drive car?
    would be very appreciative for answers.

If you owned and used the car in Lithuania for more than six months before you got here (and you can prove it !), then you don't have to pay VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tony Danza wrote:
    I read that before, but I think if every car that came into the country had to be registered straight away and not just when on public roads, wouldn't it make being a car dealer an impossiblity?? .

No, different rules apply to dealers. They can hold off and it can be VRt'd when actually bought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hardox

By the law VISITORS can drive 1 year,but in this case:can i be treated as a visitor if i work in Ireland?

Advertisement