Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a 3 BB USB Modem to a router

Options
  • 05-07-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Is it possible to connect one of those 3 BB Modems to a wireless router?

They're only twenty quid a month after the initial purchase, one eighth of what I'm paying for my 3 MB Eircom connection.

If I could hook it up to a wireless router to keep the network going in the house, that would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just a word of warning. With 3's service the speed depends on the amount of people on the cell. The more people the slower everyone's speeds get. And after a certain amount (I think it's 20 or 25) they stop people accessing it. So if you get consistently decent speeds with eircom you might want to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Torqueamada

Thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn't have made a purchase without seeing it in action first, anyway.

By the way, it's a quarter of the cost, not one eighth; I get very excitable in public fora.

Does anyone know if it's possible to integrate it into a wireless network?

Cheers n' all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Beware the traffic limit too. Go over it and they'll take you to the cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I don't know of any router that allows input via USB, only RJ-45,RJ-11.

Moving to Net/Comms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

why do you want to hook it up to a router i thought the whole point was that its totally portable throughout most of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

irlrobins wrote:
    I don't know of any router that allows input via USB, only RJ-45,RJ-11.

Moving to Net/Comms
    Some routers will take 3G PCMCIA cards - anyone got any names of them ?

USB means you have to run from a computer or other intelligent device, you could possibly use ICS ( internet connection sharing ) but it's not pretty and a router would be a much better solution if you can manage it somehow.
    Steoob wrote:
    why do you want to hook it up to a router i thought the whole point was that its totally portable throughout most of the country?
    for one routers act like a firewall

another reason is that you can share the connection to other computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Search for "3g router" on elara.ie, you'll find a couple. The Linksys one, which costs about €165 including VAT but excluding delivery, supports the Huawei PCMCIA cards that Vodafone and 3 use, e.g. Huawei E618, 620 and 630. In addition, it also supports a wide variety of 3G PCMCIA cards from other manufacturers such as Option, Novatel, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Torqueamada

Thanks for the info.

My main reason for doing this is the cost saving.

I don't really need net access on the go, but I suppose I'd use it if I had it.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Search for "3g router" on elara.ie, you'll find a couple. The Linksys one, which costs about €165 including VAT but excluding delivery, supports the Huawei PCMCIA cards that Vodafone and 3 use, e.g. Huawei E618, 620 and 630. In addition, it also supports a wide variety of 3G PCMCIA cards from other manufacturers such as Option, Novatel, etc.
    Thanks

Advertisement