Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF is up with the NFL players?

• 05-07-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Every week there's somone being suspended for getting arrested, substance abuse etc etc..........wtf is going on?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

They think they are above the law... they arent!

Turd Watch!

Not sure if any of you read PFT but they have the above "turd watch" section which keeps an eye on all of the said arrests, so far Miami are winning! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Every week there's somone being suspended for getting arrested, substance abuse etc etc..........wtf is going on?:confused:

Well the NFL seem to not be taking any crap from the players. I think it's a good thing, some of the egos of these guys is unreal. So if they step out of line, then they learn the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Well the NFL seem to not be taking any crap from the players. I think it's a good thing, some of the egos of these guys is unreal. So if they step out of line, then they learn the hard way.

Agreed. The pro athletes in the US are a bunch of spoiled, overpaid, whining premadonnas. And i was born in the US and grew up watching the sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's getting out of hand, it's a shame. I love watching the NFL and NBA but both sports are full of real life gangsters.

I've spoken to a few friends over in the states and they say that middle and upper america don't even watch the NBA anymore due to the type of characters that are in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I've spoken to a few friends over in the states and they say that middle and upper america don't even watch the NBA anymore due to the type of characters that are in the game.
    NBA finals got its highest ratings in years, crowd attendance up throughout the league. NBA doesn't have near the same problems as the NFL, where it seems endemic.

At least the NFl is starting dish out lengthy bans now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Aye it's not nearly the same and I was merely stating from what I've been told.........from a few different sources who are a mixture of americans and Irish living there.

The fact that it got it's highest ratings in years doesn't mean that there was an increase in American viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Dodge wrote:
    NBA finals got its highest ratings in years, crowd attendance up throughout the league. NBA doesn't have near the same problems as the NFL, where it seems endemic.

At least the NFl is starting dish out lengthy bans now

Not saying that it wholly explains the number of NFL players getting into trouble compared to NBA players, but in basketball a team only has five players on court at a time and so maybe has 15 players on its game roster, compared to 53 players with an NFL team(and nearly twice that number at the start of pre-season).

So if NFL teams have over 3 times as many players, then surely the chances of a bad egg are multiplied too ?

Lengthy bans are part of the solution, but persistent offenders should face being cut by their teams. But where such offenders are cut, other teams have to tow the line and not look upon it as an opportunity to pick up cheap talent.

If the league, the teams and the players union all unite, then the current problems can be minimised, though never eliminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kenny 5 wrote:
    The fact that it got it's highest ratings in years doesn't mean that there was an increase in American viewers.
    So what does it mean then? :rolleyes: Are the poor little white americans sick of not being the best? :rolleyes:

heyjude, totally agree with your points. Good to see the Bears cut Tank Johnson recently (who most agree is one of the best young players in his position)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The fact they get treated like gods through the most of there young lifes they step in the nfl and think they can continue to get away with it. Basically think there above the law.

Hopefully the new suspensions Goodell is handing out will do a job. If they hit th top playrs hard(Vick) they everyone will realise no one is above the law no matter how talented/how much of a marketing wonder they are.

Advertisement