Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody tried METRO-LITE from digiweb??

Options
  • 05-07-2007 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I am about to order this i think as its the only other option available in my area apart from 3 broadband(which is too unreliable to be taken seriously)
    was wondering if anyone has tried this lite package and hows your experience been with this company?
    i have heard some good some bad about the company so i dont really know what to believe,is this technology reliable or is it weather dependant and prone to contention issues and other b/s?
    do they block the ports for p2p?
    what do they do when u go over ur caps and how long does it take them to respond?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I know a few people with Metro, one with Metro lite, and they all have good things to say about it. Contention doesn't seem to be a problem as Digiweb strictly enforce the cap so heavy users will soon be stopped. They throttle your speeds back to dial-up equivalent if you go over the cap, and it's a rolling 30 day cap too so it doesn't get reset on the 1st of the month.

I've read a few things about their customer service being a bit poor, but that's nothing you won't get from every broadband operator in Ireland.

The technology does seem to be very reliable and I haven't heard of people having issues like IBB Breeze had for years with slow speeds and dropped connections. I don't think they block any P2P ports either so that should be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

thanks for the info,it sounds ok so far,i justed spoke to a french guy in sales and he says that if i pay for a full year up front i get a free digital phone and 1000 minutes of national calls
    but if i pay them for a year and the service gets progressively crapper then i cant say im refusing to pay on the grounds that the service is no longer usable
    i wouldnt really use the national calls anyway so i might just pay monthly after its installed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The speed on contention is nearly 100k. More than 1 channel ISDN. I got throttled for a day and only noticed on file download. You can't really tell the difference web browsing. It's effectively nearly 3 times an average dialup speed when throttled.

The only thing blocked is some Microsoft ports, that SHOULD be blocked! (135 to 137 I think). If you need them for some wierd application on some non-Windows gadget, they can even be unblocked.

I don't think calls to other Metro users are charged, but you need to check.

If more than one person is using it, I recommend the 3Mbps Metro and that you get a good WAN ethernet Router/NAT, optionally with WiFi. Argos and Komplett have them. NOT an ADSL modem or ADSL Router.

Advertisement