Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Device monitoring - Hyperic

Options
  • 05-07-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've seen the usual list of monitors with Nagios as the most popular solution. I'm not a Linux head and didn't want to have to learn it just to get a monitor going so in the quest for Windows solution came across Hyperic. So far it's looking very promising but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Nagios is lovely, specially if you have a phone and a serial cable to send text alerts over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye, it's something I'd like to look at eventually but like I said not enough time to learn Linux and then it. I thought of using a virtual appliance and was likely going down that route when Hyperic came along. Supposedly Hyperic can run Nagios plugins (haven't had a chance to look into this more) and I'm extremely happy with it so far so it seems to be a great choice for a Windows solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Creed ... does hyperic server explicitly only connect to hyperic agents? Or like nagios can you define your own services (port checks etc.) .. my main problem is I can't alter or install services on any servers to be monitored.
    Fully windows house with 500+ devices to be monitored so Hyperic would be handy if it can do the above, but otherwise I'll setup Nagios myself (problem there is nobody else can then go and configure it without a grasp of the config files and linux itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It does read SNMP so in theory you could use the SNMP services on your PCs/Servers without an agent but I haven't tried it. I'm guessing Nagios does the same unless someone has written WMI sensors (which I think are more powerful, only had a quick look at them when testing OpManager)
    My main priority with this was to get an availability monitor for our remote sites and everything else is a plus, so with that I'm happy. The Agent assisted monitoring is excellent and monitors the main resources out of the box (CPU/Ram/NIC stats etc.) and you can program your own monitors for processes etc. if it doesn't pick them up automatically. It does seem to fall down with Network Device monitoring but then that could just be my ignorance of SNMP in general. e.g. The PIX is reporting availability and NIC statistics but not CPU/Mem utilization. I'd have to get another SNMP monitor in place to see if it's Hyperic or just a limitation of the (oldish) PIX version we are using.
    I've no doubt Nagios is ultimately more powerful and versatile but if you want something with a minimal learning curve you can have Hyperic up and monitoring within 30 minutes of seeing it for the first time.

Advertisement