Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest Binge Drinking Data......

• 05-07-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I nearly collapsed in the car on the way home this evening. I heard a report that you are on a binge if you drink more than 2.5 pints :eek: WTF?

Surely someone incorrectly placed the decimal point to the left of the '5'. Like, hello? 2.5 pints is a binge? Personally I'd accept 10 pints as a binge (at a push) but 2.5 is pure nonsense.

I'd like to hear the brothers opinions on this.

This may have been posted elsewhere - but I'm interested in the BGRH response

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Clearly the test group were a bunch of French exchange students who were too mean to buy more than two pints, thereby convincing the report compilers to believe that even a half pint more than that is a binge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

2.5 pint's is mere mouthwash. 2.5 pints per hour would be what I consider closer to the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

2.5 pints per hour??? Bah ha ha ha... I'm closer to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Alright lads, Surely they mean 2.5 days

They obviously never asked any proper men when they were compiling this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

2.5 pints sounds like the exact figure it takes for an American student studying sociology over here for a year to get hammered.

Seriously though, I've never been one for binge drinking. In fact, I've never seem pints of binge on sale *anywhere*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Ah how I laughed....replace the "binge" with "minge" and you've probably for got a figure for the amount of women the pussy bitches in this survey pull each year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

They obviously never asked any proper men when they were compiling this nonsense.

Well they did ask a 70 year old - his response was something along the lines of "What :eek: Sure that means I've been bingeing all my life!" Immediatly, I thought to myself "Honorary BGRH member there":D

In fact, I've never seem pints of binge on sale *anywhere*.

Duval is a good second - around 8.5%:D

BTW, OT but - good info on beerhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Obviously it was typed up by someone who was after a few beers and did not type the report correctly. Below is how the report should have been typed...

crosstownk wrote:
    I heard a report that you are on a binge if you drink[SIZE=+2] an awful lot more[/SIZE] than 2.5 pints?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

in some countries that may be true.... just because we drink too much as irish we probably dont see it as any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

2.5 pints. FFS. The liquid that held me in my mother's womb was more than that. Surely that's an American bullshíte statistic.

scojones wrote:
    2.5 pints. FFS. The liquid that held me in my mother's womb was more than that. Surely that's an American bullshíte statistic.

It was on RTÉ Drive Time.................I think the source was Irish! If it was April Fools Day I'd see the funny side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

crosstownk wrote:
    It was on RTÉ Drive Time.................I think the source was Irish! If it was April Fools Day I'd see the funny side.

They need to use better sources. We'll show them what real binge drinking is really like. guinness.gifguinness.gifguinness.gifguinness.gif

scojones wrote:
    They need to use better sources. We'll show them what real binge drinking is really like. guinness.gifguinness.gifguinness.gifguinness.gif

I think it's the same source that George Orwell had for 1984!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats a load of bollox, 2.5 pints is only a rinse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thats ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Pffft!! Let them have their stupid statistics, I know how much I drink and it ain't changing...............eh, maybe until a doctor tells me otherwise but even then he'll have a hard time of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

gline wrote:
    in some countries that may be true.... just because we drink too much as irish we probably dont see it as any harm

Out of here you with that sort of blasphemous talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

It's not really a binge if you don't have to do at least two out of the following the day after:

1. Move out of your apartment.
    2. Make a statement to the police.
    3. Apologise to your girlfriend.
    4. Phone around bars and niteclubs for your coat / wallet.
    5. Call in sick to work.

2.5 Pints? You're having a laugh, mate.

• Advertisement

If they want to see proper binge drinking they are more than welcome to survey me tonight, tommorow afternoon, tommorow night and Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well Irish drinking habits are very different to those of the sophisticated French who have a meal between every glass of wine and ask themselves the question: "Have I had enough? Maybe we should let the kids finish the bottle".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

I just assumed that they meant if you have 2.5 pints after you've had 15 pint bottles of bulmers, 6 vodka & red bull's, 3 jagerbombers, 2 pizza slices and a bag of chips, your regarded as a binge drinker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0705/alcohol.html

*wonders how that equates to whiskey*

*pours triple measure as tame starter*

edit: that counts as 5 measures of spirits.

wow.

so a full bottle in one night is a no-no then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I read an article a few months back saying any more than 4 was binge drinking. Anybody I talked said they wouldn't bother going out for less.....and 4 was a push.

2.5 is clearly bollox. It probably hinges on how you define 'binge'. A certain amount of beer per day is good for you - they're probably calling anything above that a binge.

2.5 is clearly bollox.

That sums the whole thing up :D Nobody here will disagree with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I heard on the radio one of the people who promoted this and they admitted they only set it to 2 as, well pretty much a publicity stunt to get people to realise what how big a "problem" binge drinking is?
    I mean 2.5 pints is binge drinking? That means that every single person in this country (more or less) and any country i have ever been to are binge drinkers (those that drink anyway).

This kind of stupidity takes away from the real problem of alcoholism that affects people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, me thinks there was something lost in translation!
    Surely if they are referring to 2.5 pints then it must be 2.5 pints of Macallan in one sitting they were talking about, otherwise it doesn't make any sort of logical sense :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also if you're out on the gargle constantly, how can that be called a binge?

These damn europeans. I bet even hitler never commisioned reports into binge drinking.

• Advertisement

By that reasoning I binge drinked about 5 times last night!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If that's the case every time I drink I'm binging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

hoooooold on a second. does it say how fast you have to drink the 2.5 pints?

If someone necked 2 pints of guinness in one go, straight after each other, and then picked up the 3rd one and was in the middle of necking that as well then I'd say 'hold your horses there bosco. i'm not fukcing carrying ye outta here in half an hour. you've just binged 2.5 pints, you pup'.

however, over the course of an evening 2.5 pints????? that's plain old wrong. morale of the story is: don't believe everything ye read on the interweb.

Three pints an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Who cares? It looks like I'll be binge drinking tonight. :)

smashey wrote:

How do you work that out? Surely they are all gone :confused:

• Advertisement

petes wrote:
    How do you work that out? Surely they are all gone :confused:

Afraid not. Due to a lot of driving, I had to save them for the weekend.

W00t.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smashey wrote:
    You should have posted that in here first brother smashey. This is something the brotherhood could easily help a shop sell out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

anyone want to go into buisness producing a 9% beer called "BINGE" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

weemcd wrote:

We could make an alcopop drink for the ladies called MINGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

rediguana wrote:
    It's not really a binge if you don't have to do at least two out of the following the day after:

1. Move out of your apartment.
    2. Make a statement to the police.
    3. Apologise to your girlfriend.
    4. Phone around bars and niteclubs for your coat / wallet.
    5. Call in sick to work.

2.5 Pints? You're having a laugh, mate.

why would you ever have to do that?

• Advertisement

You should have posted that in here first brother smashey. This is something the brotherhood could easily help a shop sell out of.

Get yourself over to Enniskillen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

weemcd wrote:

That's a bit lite. Is your target market wimmens?

This is my favourite beer:

993.jpg

Grolsch

Ever try Delirium Tremens. Its 10%. You wouldn't be able to survive a binge on it.:D

Advertisement