Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go to a funeral

Options
  • 05-07-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

What if a good friend died but you didn't know their friends or family, would you go to the funeral ? doesn't seem to be any point really, what do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

MooseJam wrote:
    What if a good friend died but you didn't know their friends or family, would you go to the funeral ? doesn't seem to be any point really, what do you think ?
    If it makes you feel better, solemn location to sort out your thoughts, solidarity of other mourners, whatever, it's point enough.
    I probably wouldn't go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's unlikely that someone would be a 'good friend' and you not knowing anybody, brother, sister, girlfriend etc.

If I really didn't know any of their family/friends I would probably still go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It would be the height of disrespect not to go. Religous beliefs aside, the funeral serves to celebrate the life of the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Would go, have gone. As above, its a mark of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wow, you would have to be pretty entrenched in your views to refuse to go along. On a personal note, I would have no problem attending a non-Christian/ non-religious ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MooseJam wrote:

Probably not, if I didn't know any of the family or friends. In a situation like that it would only be a personal thing to go, and I don't really need a funeral to say good bye to someone who has died. Some people do, and I've nothing against that, but I don't. So if I wasn't going to support his friends or his family, since I don't know them, I wouldn't.

Wow, you would have to be pretty entrenched in your views to refuse to go along. On a personal note, I would have no problem attending a non-Christian/ non-religious ceremony.

That isn't what he is asking, this isn't a "are you a hypocrite if you go to a Christian funeral/wedding/christening" type thing

He is asking do people feel the need to attend a funeral for someone if they have no other reason to go except to say good bye.

I personally don't, I can say good bye anywhere. In fact I would probably go to some place with memory or meaning and say good bye to them there. As the OP says I think doing it in a church or funeral home is rather pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

faceman wrote:
    It would be the height of disrespect not to go. Religous beliefs aside, the funeral serves to celebrate the life of the deceased.
    That's the way i feel.

faceman wrote:
    It would be the height of disrespect not to go.

Not if no one at the funeral had any clue who you were. Who would you be disrespecting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wicknight wrote:
    Not if no one at the funeral had any clue who you were. Who would you be disrespecting then?

Jesus?

Cos I do that all the time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I guess part of a funeral is showing how much the person was appreciated while they were alive. Does it comfort a family to see a huge turnout, regardless of whether they know the people? Maybe. Might depend too on the age etc of the person who died.

I'm pretty sure I'd go if it was a good friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

MooseJam wrote:

Interesting point.

I think it would still be good to go. If the person suddenly arose, Lazarus like, out of the grave, he or she would be perturbed to note the absence of a good friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its nice for the family if a large crowd turn up at the funeral, its nice to know someone will be missed by many

and.......... you might get free food afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Asiaprod wrote:
    Would go, have gone. As above, its a mark of respect.

Exactly.
    and.......... you might get free food afterwards

"It's what he would have wanted."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I would go, yes - if for nothing else, then out of respect to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

MooseJam wrote:

The funeral is actually a common construct to all belief systems going back even to proto-cultures as an expression of sorrow and deliberate mourning (as is observable in many other higher mammals such as dolphins, elephants, apes and some whales).

The funeral itself is simple an extension of the singular human obsession with ritualising everything in our reality. In order for humans to cope with the loss of members of our troupe we require closure. The psycho drama of a funeral ritual provides this closure.

Its sod all use to the poor sod you are sticking in a hole but it does provide a useful compartmentalization for the mourning process.

edit
    Oh And yes I would go, and have done so on an unfortunately large number of occasions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wicknight wrote:

the deceased

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah I would. The question's a bit void - I can't think of any good friend's who either don't know some of my friends or I don't know some of theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Would and have done so in the past. It's more to show respect for the deceased and their family though.

Although I've no religious beliefs myself however, what "annoys" me more about any catholic funeral I've been to, is that 95% of the ceremony is totally unrelated to the deceased, their family or their friends. Rather it's an opportunity to praise a God and a religion which the people attending may or may not believe in.

Luckily however I haven't been too many at all so far.

Advertisement