Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema and The Forum

• 05-07-2007 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I heard that the old cinema on Patrick Street is closed, though someone else told me it's still open. I also heard that the Forum is closing as a gig venue and moving to the site of the old cinema, and that a big restaurant is opening up in the Forum instead (this is true). Anyone confirm or deny esp. the cinema-related parts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

PetraMac wrote:
    I heard that the old cinema on Patrick Street is closed, though someone else told me it's still open. I also heard that the Forum is closing as a gig venue and moving to the site of the old cinema, and that a big restaurant is opening up in the Forum instead (this is true). Anyone confirm or deny esp. the cinema-related parts?
    I think the downstairs area of the Forum is being redeveloped into a restaurant, something that the proprietors promise will be in a new league of it's own when it opens although I can't even begin to imagine what could possibly be so special about a restaurant! Upstairs is remaining open for gigs which I'm sure will make it interesting for those who are trying to enjoy a meal downstairs.

The old cinema on Patrick St remains open, despite the amount of business that Storm Cinemas have taken away from it, however the prevailing rumour is that Bob Tweedy has either bought it/agreed to buy it with plans of turning it into a super night club for the South East although I personally think it's a far-fetched idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unless today was the cinemas last day.. its open ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Old Cinema is still open, to be honest I can't see them turning the old cinema into a night club as its too large just for some nightclub and also I can't see the forum being a resturant as its miles from the middle of town.

Would make sense to turn the old cinema into a resturant,pub & club perhaps as its certainly large enough to host all three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

i tought the were renovating the old cinema and i did hear that there was restaurant going into the downstairs section of the forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the old cinema still getting the new releases that Storm are able to source?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Bond-007 wrote:
    of course they are cineplex is owned by a large property company not just a fella on his own that is struggling to meet ends meat at the end of the week, that cinema i think will never close becoz at the end of the day its cheaper than storm and parents who are bringing there kids to see a film would prefer to pay less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

of course they are cineplex is owned by a large property company not just a fella on his own that is struggling to meet ends meat at the end of the week, that cinema i think will never close becoz at the end of the day its cheaper than storm and parents who are bringing there kids to see a film would prefer to pay less

You do realise that a lot more people go to the cinema than little kiddies yeah? Everyone who is old enough to go out on their own is paying the extra couple of euro and opting for the better cinema!

Besides, I seem to remember parents bitching on WLR about the heating/air con in the Cineplex before. I'm sure they won't be going back.

Bond-007 wrote:
    This isn't the 1930's - there aren't just 5 reels of film for the entire country :p.

One thing that I was kind of disappointed with was the size of the main screen in Storm. I was expecting a giant theater with room for tonnes of people, I think all the screens in the Cineplex are bigger than Storms largest. A lot of people still go to the cineplex when they are in town as it is more convenient but Storm is just down the road from me so unless the Cineplex has a better time slot for a film then I can't see myself going back for a long time.

This isn't the 1930's - there aren't just 5 reels of film for the entire country ;).

You should see some of the cinemas up the country so. I was told by one cinema owner that he could not get a certain film until another cinema was done with it.

merlante wrote:
    You do realise that a lot more people go to the cinema than little kiddies yeah? Everyone who is old enough to go out on their own is paying the extra couple of euro and opting for the better cinema!

Besides, I seem to remember parents bitching on WLR about the heating/air con in the Cineplex before. I'm sure they won't be going back.
    suppose u have a point there but what i,m saying is that people that don,t have a disposable income like us young folk i.e. parents would tend ta go for the cheap option

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    You should see some of the cinemas up the country so. I was told by one cinema owner that he could not get a certain film until another cinema was done with it.
    i know one of the men that works the projectors in the cineplex and he told me b4 that a reel of film is expensive i aint goin to disclose how much cos it would shock ya but ye this generally is the case with some of the cinemas

I am well aware of the cost of a film print. It is mad money considering what it is now. They are hired from a distributor and then returned at the end of the films run and then are distrubed to the country cinemas who pay alot less rental on the print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i aint goin to disclose how much cos it would shock ya

Try me.

$1500 to $2000 to make each print.

I'm assuming that's only the costs of it and doesn't include the markup? I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't less than €5000 to obtain a highly sought after film.

My Grandfather was a cinema projectionist and he used to tell me stories of how Waterford always got the reels after all the bigger cinemas and how they were literally falling apart by time they got them. He'd spend more time gluing and splicing together the film than he would actually showing it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If I recall, the Cineplex costs what - 8euro? And it rises 50c every half year. (I think)

The new cinema is.. 9euro. (Adult, at peak time).

Kids get in at 6euro, and there is some sort of family ticket available also for 20+euro.

A difference? Of a Euro for an adult. Shocking for some parents it seems, but that euro will get you into a much nicer cinema. Nicer seats, nicer atmosphere, cleaner cinema, heating & air-con that works, films that pretty much work for the whole length of the film (rarley it wont), better sound quality, bigger rooms etc.

That extra euro is money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I don't want to worry anyone but I went to see Zodiac in Storm 2 weeks ago.
    The sound came on for the ads but there was no picture. Then the film broke down and I had to go out to get someone to sort it out.
    Does anyone know how mant screens one projectionist keeps going at one time? I would have thought I would be fairly simple to plan the times to avoid this sort of happening.

Jor wrote:
    I don't want to worry anyone but I went to see Zodiac in Storm 2 weeks ago.
    The sound came on for the ads but there was no picture. Then the film broke down and I had to go out to get someone to sort it out.
    Does anyone know how mant screens one projectionist keeps going at one time? I would have thought I would be fairly simple to plan the times to avoid this sort of happening.
    there is only one projectionist working the cineplex so i,m assuming its the same in storm

Sully wrote:
    If I recall, the Cineplex costs what - 8euro? And it rises 50c every half year. (I think)

The new cinema is.. 9euro. (Adult, at peak time).

Kids get in at 6euro, and there is some sort of family ticket available also for 20+euro.

A difference? Of a Euro for an adult. Shocking for some parents it seems, but that euro will get you into a much nicer cinema. Nicer seats, nicer atmosphere, cleaner cinema, heating & air-con that works, films that pretty much work for the whole length of the film (rarley it wont), better sound quality, bigger rooms etc.

That extra euro is money well spent.
    You can't really compare the two. Storm has been open a short period of time so of course their prices are staying at €9, but in 6 months time they will probably go up too. Likewise, Storm have maybe shown a few hundred screenings since they've opened so naturally they don't have a reputation for films breaking down whereas Cineplex have shown thousands upon thousands but I would reckon that their failure rate, with time, will match that of the Cineplex.

With digital projection the failure rate will be zero in time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement