Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 05-07-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

How far down the road is this? how is it gona work? infrastructure, retail outlets etc etc. What kind of speeds? Applications, pda, phone, pc card, usb?

I've been pretty much beaten down by everybody in the Irish bb market and this could very well be my last hope. I'm back on dial-up at the moment as 3 ain't connecting(619) with a 5 bar hsdpa signal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Not much about it, bit here
    back to the old 088 :)

More on 4g here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There should be some news any day.

Applications:
    It's pure IP, no walled garden, so anything that works on the basic ADSL / Broadband will work. Unlike 3G/HSDPA it is not dialup into a voice network.

Watch http://www.digiweb.ie/media_infopress.asp

It doesn't need a phone number either. The 088 is for phone services which are an add-on. Like 076 on an ADSL. Tesco has 089 in Ireland.

Not one of the WikiWorld better articles. Fixed Wimax is not 4G. Mobile Wimax is 4G but is maybe 2 to 3years away from commercial deployment. I don't think 4G is going to see 100Mb/s speeds. Also if it did, it would not be per user but for a whole sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Watty you dont happen to know if rural areas will be covered and will it need line of sight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will be non line of sight to a greater degree than 3g and 2g so it may work where your coverage is marginal for o2 and voda 2G who use slightly higher FREQUENCIES for their 2g ( meteor are way higher) . Lower is always better for non line of sight .

I suspect that it will be available in the main urban areas and along interurban routes and also where digiweb metro is . Thats what every carrier does when they launch .

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Sponge Bob wrote:

I suspect that it will be available in the main urban areas and along interurban routes and also where digiweb metro is . Thats what every carrier does when they launch .

Yet another great trait of broadband. Give it to them that are all ready spoilt for choise.

• Advertisement

Comreg should have done an "Inside Out" licence years ago (the old 088 spectrum would be best)

They should pick the 10 worst covered counties and make the licencee launch in them first with 100% coverage.

Then let the licencees cherry pick the other 16 counties to reach a coverage target of 70% after 2 years counting the 10 counties .

Except no investor would back that, unless the Govenment subsidized it.

You have to be making money out of this stuff or no-one will do it. Utimately there will be good rural coverage and since the Government won't be subsidising it, the big city early adopters will be subsidizing their Rural cousins later.

What NBS? Stop sniggering at the back there.

Regarding the 450Mhz old Analogue spectrum, it was auctioned and purchased at the same time and if you look at Comreg Site you will see who has the licence for National Mobile Data on it. It's a smaller bandwidth than Digiweb's 4G, so can't support as high a speed or as many users. Slovakia and Finnish 4G networks use 450MHz.

The Digiweb spectrum was originally GSM-Tetra and is beside GSM-r (unused in Ireland) and close to some original GSM licences in 900MHz band.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM-R

If you offer juicy enough spectrum Watty then the licencees will accept the conditions, maybe the gsm-r band would be the right one for a specific 'rural' first then urban licence :D And if that works why not try another one with 10 different counties ??

Its a disgrace than we do not have full indoor 2G GSM coverage in rural areas ..even now 15 years into deployment and despite the massive profitability of GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its a disgrace than we do not have full indoor 2G GSM coverage in rural areas ..even now 15 years into deployment and despite the massive profitability of GSM.

The Luddite anti-mast lobby have done quite a bit of damage to operators plans for rural areas over the years. In some counties the Luddite anti mast lobby have even managed to get changes to the County Development plans that make getting planning for new masts very difficult.

Countering the anti mast lobby with good science based debate is something that the Gov / Comreg and the operators should have undertaken years ago.

.brendan

In Galway An Bord Pleanala have shot holes through most of the restrictions in the 2003 plan and Kerrys policies have nearly all been voided as well

That will not stop the muppets putting them in their next plans but the Bord usually listens to operators now , not cranks.:(

• Advertisement

The only danger from mast is it hitting you on head due to anti-mast protester cutting it down

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

watty wrote:
    The only danger from mast is it hitting you on head due to anti-mast protester cutting it down

Man i'd like to meet an anti-mast protester.
    They could stick the biggest transmitter on my house with feckin bells hanging from it for all id care.

Advertisement