Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word of Advice

Options
  • 05-07-2007 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Don't buy bathroom suites in B&Q - They are not kitted with Irish compatible fittings and are a mare to fit. Of course they fail to mention that in the shop when selling you 2 grand worth of goods.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Almost all quality basin and bath taps are metric, regardless of where you buy them.

Buying stuff cheap ,also means you don't get advice on these things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Specifically its a jacuzzi bath and the fittings provided for waste are for a normal bath. Also the joins dont fit a part our plumber has...Unless they can get something to make it work, I dread having to call B&Q to complain

To be honest ,most of the waste fittings that come with kitchen and bathroom goods are of strange sizes.

It's really nothing got to do do with the supplier ,BUT ,a good supplier will know what to sell you and will include it in the price.

B&Q are fine ,but if you are buying goods yourself ,don't expect a tradesman to sell you the stuff.

I find B&Q very handy ,and I carry 98% of fittings with me 100% of the time.

Specifically its a jacuzzi bath and the fittings provided for waste are for a normal bath. Also the joins dont fit a part our plumber has...Unless they can get something to make it work, I dread having to call B&Q to complain

Honestly ,every plumber gets heart ache with bathrooms . I really don't see why you are experiencing any problems.

I carry various waste pipe fittings with me all the time and a couple of hundred cappilary and compression fittings . Some metric.
    Maybe your plumber is having the mick extracted from you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I had a similar situation with a bath from Homebase and the plumber did a lot of sighing and teeth sucking but he got some sort of 'adaptor' and fixed it and its fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Don't buy bathroom suites in B&Q - They are not kitted with Irish compatible fittings and are a mare to fit. Of course they fail to mention that in the shop when selling you 2 grand worth of goods.

I had same problem with pumped shower. Connecters are metric but we use imperial.
    I was unable to get adapters.

Imperial 3/4" is 21mm, uk spec is 22mm.
    Imperial 1/2" is 14mm, uk spec is 15mm.

What you have to do is get the standard UK connectors but for connecting to the irish pipes, get the imperial olives (Brass Rings) just for the irish end. I was told that these seal up fine and they worked okay for me on 3/4" to 22mm.

EDIT: Typo

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Well - Whatever happend, I got back from a short holiday (to get away from the mess) and they had sorted the taps, waste and everything....

Perhaps it was a case of making sense of it all or using some sort of adapter but its done now.

That being said, B&Q were pretty awful from a customer service/tech support perspective and for that reason, I'd be loathe to go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That being said, B&Q were pretty awful from a customer service/tech support perspective and for that reason, I'd be loathe to go back to them.
    Not really what they are there for to be honest.
    Its a bit like going to Musgraves Cash & Carry and asking for a nice recipe for chicken.
    To their credit they provide lots of free advice and leaflets/diagrams but they cant leave themselves open to you making a mess of something that they told you.

If your plumber can fit a bathroom without advice from floor staff in B&Q Id recommend a new plumber...

Advertisement