Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20k to spend?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

If you had 20k to spend on a car whether it be old or new what would you buy?

I was heading more towards going in the jeep direction but just cannot make up my mind on what to buy, help me please...

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Skoda Octavia, Huge boot, blah blah

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You either need a jeep or you don't, are you driving around in rough terrain/towing stuff, or would it be a Chelsea Tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

just like the comfort and chunkyness for a jeep, more of a chelsea tractor!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jeeps aren't that comfortable, less legroom than a large saloon, and more body roll and less power. Unless you like the lofty driving position.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

^^^ What he said, also more expensive to maintain (tyres, parts, servicing etc.).

If you like the comfort/chunkyness of a jeep, what about a large saloon? Audi A6, Merc E Class, 5 series, Lexus, Skoda Superb (no giggling down the back), etc. etc..

Those would be nicer to drive (being cars), confortable, quick (depending on engine), more reasonable to maintain, most have diesel options if that floats your boat and are not "un-chunky". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

What about the new Nissan Almera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

You'll get a much nicer 2 or 3 year old car for the same price as a new almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

2004 - 5 Subaru Legacy, I just bought a 2.5 estate. Its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ...as you're neither here nor there in your decision making, I'd suggest a neither here nor there car

The likes of Nissan X-trail, Hyunday Santa Fe, Honda CRV or whatever other semi skimmed, low fat, de-caffeinated, unleaded "off-roaders" there are to be found within your budget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

@ OP - depends on what your needs are.. Do you have a family, or do you need space to lug around a lot of gear for work or activities? If yes, then rule out small 2 door coupes.
    Are you gonna be covering much mileage? Or towing a trailer occasionally? If so, consider diesel.

Think of what you need the car to do,or in what circumstances it will be used most regularly. Your search doesnt really narrow down til you set out some criteria.

Personally, id go for a late 70s 911.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

ok, €20k to spend, but you haven't told us what your critera are, so here is my own personal choice :p .

2000 -2001 Lotus Elise S2, well at least its not boring!!!:D :cool:

I personally can not understand the mentality of spending that much money buying something ordinary and boring just to get a phucking 07 number plate :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

i'm in a similiar quandry at the moment, currently looking for something that looks good (3 door or coupe), nothing over 2L , will hold value, 20K budget

currently on the list is a 2002 318CI , 06 Focus 1.6 , or 06 new model Civic

any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

woodseb wrote:
    i'm in a similiar quandry at the moment, currently looking for something that looks good (3 door or coupe), nothing over 2L , will hold value, 20K budget

currently on the list is a 2002 318CI , 06 Focus 1.6 , or 06 new model Civic

any other suggestions?
    #

Woodseb (I'll prob get banned for this). I've a car for sale on Adverts.ie. just under 20k - looks very good - 2003 1.8 celica vvtli coupe

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

thanks for the suggestion, won't be buying for another few months anyway but it could be a goer, what's the boot like in a celica, would you get a few sets of golf clubs in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

Yeah the boot is actually huge - bit stupid in my opinion. They should have made it a bit smaller and had more leg room for people in the back seats (not that people buying a coupe intend to regulary have people in the back)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What about this?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=686138

Has a huge boot ;) and isn't at all over priced :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I too would go for the Evo 7, but from the price I'd say that's on UK plates still - the VRT would take it above the OP's budget. That may also happen with the E30 M3, which isn't even listed on the VRT website as it must fall into the 'Tombola' section of whatever way OMSP is calculated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Yea might well be, just grabbing something nice in the general range. I was actually thinking an r34 gtr but no chance it seems more like 40k. I actually think if i was spending 20k on a car id get an r32 skyline track car converted back to a road car. Something around 400bhp, that would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

siralfalot wrote:

I personally can not understand the mentality of spending that much money buying something ordinary and boring just to get a phucking 07 number plate :rolleyes: :p

Agreed! Id buy an a top notch E30 M3. An Elise would be very nice also. Definetly not an Almera or Corrolla. Yawn.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=561503&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20BMW%20M3%2C%20Year%3A%201988%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=726237&CFTOKEN=42595730

Or perhaps if I wanted to be more of a sensible sandwich, this would do fine:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=700510

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=734161

semi jeep / estate & its a subaru, I've a 2001 Turbo S model & find it comfy

But if your a high mileage driver, it wouldn't be a senseable buy..

Advertisement