Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3

Options
  • 05-07-2007 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

GF home from hols and thinking about buying a 01 Audi A3 1.6, she had a 00 before she left and never had a prob! looking for one with about 60-70k on the clock.

Wsa wondering does anyone have these and seen any probs? someone said the A3 had alot of problems with there A3 1.6 and the engine is bad. I didnt think that wud be a prob cause its an Audi but just wondering has anyone heard this before??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

main problems I've come across are electrical. Audi's aren't massively reliable, just because something is overpriced doesn't mean it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot imagine there being much difference between the 00 one your g/f had before and a 01 model so you would presume the same problems if any would be common to both. I would go for a TDi though rather than the old 1.6 petrol lump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bazz26 wrote:
    I cannot imagine there being much difference between the 00 one your g/f had before and a 01 model so you would presume the same problems if any would be common to both. I would go for a TDi though rather than the old 1.6 petrol lump.

Price on TDi is massive compared to Petrol, she lives in city so she doesn't ind the petrol
    main problems I've come across are electrical. Audi's aren't massively reliable, just because something is overpriced doesn't mean it's good.

I wouldnt say they are overpriced, they are also a lovely car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BJ2007

colm_mcm wrote:

electric faults are a big problem on these. also i heard that the whole dash need to be replaced on some models that experienced problems.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Nelly wrote:
    I wouldnt say they are overpriced, they are also a lovely car!!

Essentially the A3 is the same car as a VW Golf (or a Skoda Octavia or SEAT Leon), but it costs way more second hand. The A3 is a bit of a looker, but very pricey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In my opinion, a car with an asthmatic 8 valve engine from the MK3 Golf with terrible standard equipment that's basically a VW that sells for more than a Golf or even a Passat is overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote:
    In my opinion, a car with an asthmatic 8 valve engine from the MK3 Golf with terrible standard equipment that's basically a VW that sells for more than a Golf or even a Passat is overpriced
    Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Uh oh...I've just recommended an A3 to my boss :o

He's looking for a small car dependable car. He was undecided between the Golf and BMW 1 series. I told him go with the Golf coz the 1 series looks crap unless you're a twentysomething year old jet setter. I then threw the A3 in the mix...:( Should have kept quiet seemingly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anan1 wrote:
    Agreed.

Kinda agree to an extent too (despite my username!!)
    I had a 1.6FSI (the current model) for 2 years, and despite being a very good looking car, it was very over-priced for what it was. I found myself getting bored with it very quickly... and the dash, with all its soft touch plastics, and attractive design, rattled more than any other car I've owned. The older 8v 1.6 is a total joke, yet it is the main seller in this car in Ireland.

On the plus side, it was a good trade in, held its value quite well, and I'd still have one any day before a 1-series.

Advertisement