Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fully synthetic oil vs semi synthetic oil

• 05-07-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hi

am using semi synthetic oil at the moment its about 30 euro for 4 litres.
    whch i change every 3,000 miles.about every 2 months.anyone any idea
    on the oil change milage for fully synthetic oil.and an average price.

cheers..................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've been looking to use synth oil in my valkyrie as recommended by lot of people who drive them,smoother gear change and less noise is one good reason for that particular bike,and extended oil changes.Trouble is the manual says to use particular grades,SF or SG etc,but those grades seem to change fairly often in the oil world, so it's a bit confusing. I'm probably being anal about it. A few places I've checked insist that you can't get a 10w40 in synthetic, but I've seen brands on sites that include that grade,although mostly in the US. The 'quality' brands like mobile seem to be almost double the price of semi and mineral.Magnatek being nearly €60 for 4 lt in one motorfactor I checked.I read a piece on one site poo pooing the motorcycle brands versus normal car oil and the way the bike oil is a lot more expensive because the makers say that they have to add stuff because of the difference in bike/car engines, which was disproven in some tests they did comparing the brake down of viscosity. Mobile 1 won hands down over the bike brands and they don't do bike oils.I did get a synth oil, 5w40 for €36 in that place beside supervalue in palmerstown, not a named brand.Trouble is I'm not sure whether to use it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

stick with the semi. The fully synth suits high revving bikes better as that's what is really designed for. It is great oil but if you are not racing or riding hard all the time it will be no advantage. no point wasting your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

gsxr1 wrote:
    stick with the semi. The fully synth suits high revving bikes better as that's what is really designed for. It is great oil but if you are not racing or riding hard all the time it will be no advantage. no point wasting your money.

agree. stick with the semi.

Advertisement