Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest Roadworks ever! Strandhill Road

Options
  • 05-07-2007 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there

I'm new here!

Can anyone tell me if they ever seen roadworks last as long as what is going on between the 1st and 2nd Sea Road junctions on the Stranhill Road?

At this stage it is comical the capers of these contractors/workmen!

I would appreciate your views!

JayKay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I presume you mean long as in they've been at it for a long time?

Basically they are trying to widen the road.
    Problem is they have to shave up to 25% off the majority of people's front gardens. At least 10 houses are affected from what I can see.

Another problem is the power/phone lines there. They have to be re-located also.

That said they are taking a long time to do it!
    Just playing devils advocate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Longest ever roadworks I've ever seen are between Keadue and Mountallen on Drumshanbo road. Were "active" for at least 7-8 years and still are not complete. It's only about a mile of the road and there's still a bottleneck with traffic lights where it wasn't widened and has subsided. It's about 20 yards long. The lights have been there for over a year.:confused:

il gatto wrote:
    Longest ever roadworks I've ever seen are between Keadue and Mountallen on Drumshanbo road. Were "active" for at least 7-8 years and still are not complete. It's only about a mile of the road and there's still a bottleneck with traffic lights where it wasn't widened and has subsided. It's about 20 yards long. The lights have been there for over a year.:confused:
    :eek:
    Over a year! WTF!
    Did the workers win a lotto syndicate or something?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You think thats bad. try the Mountain Top/Illistrin just out of Letterkenny. I think its about 5 or 6 years since it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

muffler wrote:
    You think thats bad. try the Mountain Top/Illistrin just out of Letterkenny. I think its about 5 or 6 years since it started.

They couldn't still be at that, its being a long time since I was in LK but remember the works up there used to drive out that road a bit.

The strandhil road is a big job remember going out there good Friday and it did seem to be alot of work but saying that if they wanted to get it done quicker they def could throw a few more people at it.

Did they put compulsary purchase orders on part of peoples front gardens? They do seem to be getting nice walls from it.

• Advertisement

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Did they put compulsary purchase orders on part of peoples front gardens? They do seem to be getting nice walls from it.

I'd say both!
    No doubt that someone has a tree right in their path also!;)

It used to be the council were obliged to replace a stone wall with a stone wall, but recent planning guidelines have made stone compulsory on walls, so no matter what the walls were made of, they have to replace with stone. As it's beyond the borough boundry, county council are responsible.
    It is getting to be a pain at this stage. I've been late for a few things recently because the lights take forever to change when they're on.

Don't go that way!
    Head out past St. Mary's and turn right for Sligo Dairies. Much quicker.
    I work in Strandhill and I go that way every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cartroncowboy

Yeah those roadworks are there for what seems like an eternity. You wonder if they have run out of funds and are waiting for next years allocation? All in all i iwsh they would just finish the thing. Get some Polskis on the job - they show up the irish lads every time. Then again i blame the mgmt....

Yeah those roadworks are there for what seems like an eternity. You wonder if they have run out of funds and are waiting for next years allocation? All in all i iwsh they would just finish the thing. Get some Polskis on the job - they show up the irish lads every time. Then again i blame the mgmt....

From Cartron eh? Point, Heights or Estate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

heights

Gillie wrote:
    From Cartron eh? Point, Heights or Estate?
    That question generates a reply from a different user
    heights

As they say in Killybegs - theres something fishy here

muffler wrote:
    That question generates a reply from a different user

As they say in Killybegs - theres something fishy here

Holy unmoderated Forum Batman!:confused:
    WTF is going on here then. Well spotted!

Gillie wrote:
    Holy unmoderated Forum Batman!:confused:
    I wouldnt say it was unmoderated now Robin :D

Its usually a dead giveaway when one user is asked a question and another user answers - they forgot which account was logged in. The user names are almost identical too with both posting from the same IP address. Anyway he/she wont be posting under those accounts for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think there was a tree on the strandhill road that caused a lot of time delays on these road works.

There were objections etc... I think it was finally knocked last year.

muffler wrote:
    I wouldnt say it was unmoderated now Robin :D

Its usually a dead giveaway when one user is asked a question and another user answers - they forgot which account was logged in. The user names are almost identical too with both posting from the same IP address. Anyway he/she wont be posting under those accounts for a while.

The reason they jumped outta me is that i'm from Cartron, hence "where you from in cartron"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

These roadworks are STILL ongoing & my suspension gets worse by the day.

The M50 took less time to build!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

it's absolutely ridiculous! the state of that road is a complete joke.

I live on the 2nd Sea Road & it's still the quickest way into town in the morning, so I've to deal with it on a daily basis. Same scenario every day - 10 guys on site, 2/3 driving machines, 1 standing near the temporary lights (probably to make sure they are working), 2 guys sweeping, 4/5 guys standing round a trench, looking down into it. And vans parked everywhere. Just to help things along. Still, it's fun driving that stretch in the evenings at 40 miles an hour - it's like being on a free rollercoaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

is it the borough council or county council that are responsible for this?

there's even some video here of the current situation

http://www.strandhillonline.com/2008/02/06/strandhill-road-improvements-and-widening-4-years-in-progress/

• Advertisement

Once the cp orders have been completed, there's no reason a job like that should take more than a couple of months. It's a dsigrace at this stage. They seem to place the lights there at random intervals, so you never know when you're going to get stuck for ages.
    There must be some stipulations about leaving a road in that state. As you drive towards town, the left wheel must be nearly a foot lower than the right in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jaykay1628

stuck at the lights there 3 times today..... and you couldnt but notice 4 workers breast feeding their shovels! the new link from kevinsfort to the dual carriage way will be completed before this job is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

jaykay1628 wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm new here!

Can anyone tell me if they ever seen roadworks last as long as what is going on between the 1st and 2nd Sea Road junctions on the Stranhill Road?

JayKay

i have seen them, there was a bit of work going on this mornig as well, nice overtime for them, must be working to a schuelde
    muffler wrote: »

is that still going on, lived in letterkenny for bout five years, first it was the broadband laying from the hospital roundabout towards the mountain top, then the releif road from near the errigal to p*****ica care, widning beyound the mountian top, etc, out of interest, did they ever finishing widining the road between foxhills and the mountian top

sorry for off topic, just a wondering

irish-stew wrote: »
    is that still going on, lived in letterkenny for bout five years, first it was the broadband laying from the hospital roundabout towards the mountain top, then the releif road from near the errigal to p*****ica care, widning beyound the mountian top, etc, out of interest, did they ever finishing widining the road between foxhills and the mountian top

sorry for off topic, just a wondering
    Yeah its more or less finished. Climbing lanes either side of Mountain top with road realigned etc at Blacks filling station. Officially opened a couple of weeks ago but the first casualty of it all was the closing of McCafferty's pub. The owner did so voluntarily for safety reasons as he is in dispute with the council & NRA regarding lighting and footpaths (or the want off). Thats something that could be debated in the Donegal forum maybe.

So as not to be accused of double standards I am giving myself a yellow card for off topic posting ;)

EXCELLENT NEWS...

"Sligo County Council is to close to through traffic Regional Road R292 at Knappaghmore/Ballydoogan, Sligo between the junction of R292 with First Sea Road and the junction of R292 with Second Sea Road to facilitate the construction of a new road pavement on this section of the road. The period of closure is from Monday 18th February, 2008 to Fridayt 7th March inclusive or until the work is completed, whichever is the earlier. Alternative routes First Sea Road, Far Finisklin, Gibraltar and Second Sea Road. "

And I thought it couldn't get any better.

If yr confused by this, watch the video link from the 1st thread post - it's that stretch of road that'll be closed.

I live on 2nd Sea Road & only found out about the road closure when I arrived at the junction on Strandhill Road to see signs saying "Road Closed - Diversions in Place".

I mean, how difficult would it have been for the Council to put signs up a week or two ago to announce that the road would be closed from today? Or is that too much forward planning for them? Absolute disgrace.

Well, I just got off the phone from the Council.. there response to my query was .."Well, shure wasn't it in all the papers and on de website?", to which I responded;

A. I wouldn't pay to read one of the local rags and;
    B. I don't exactly put it in my diary check the Council's website on a daily basis

To which he replied "shure we'll look into putting up a sign tomorrow"

Bit ****ing late for that - I KNOW the road's closed now. BAH !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jaykay1628

have to agree with starbelgrade,,, council were not very "customer focused" with their diversions, i like starbelrade, also on the 2nd sea road also had to endured the hassle -- and also the people from Strrandhill and enviorns that will have to put up with this for the next number of weeks!!!!!

• Advertisement

Well, howdy neighbour! Worst thing is, that if you drive from 2nd Sea Road (without knowing about the roadworks as I did yesterday) & head towards the Strandhill Road, the 'diversion' sign on Strandhill Road points you towards Strandhill. Now THAT'S some diversion!

Advertisement