Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript, worth it?

Options
  • 05-07-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

At the moment I'm learning javascript but have lost my flare for it. I wan't to learn to program (not just for web based applications) and was told Javascript was easy (which it is) and was a good stepping stone to the bigger and more versatile ones (Java, C, C++ etc) however I can't see any use for it other than validating forms and drop down menus.

I've read many an online tutorial and all seem to use the same examples giving me the impression it is one restricted language, so my question is, is it worth it?

Don't get me wrong, I've a firm grip on it however I feel if I spend any more time on the subject it will be time wasted. Can anyone give me uses of Javascript they use on a regular bases (apart from form validation and Drop down menus)?

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Nope.

Learn C, *thats* the basis of Javascript. Javascript is only used in a web based environment. However, if you want to see the full whack of js capability, check out AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML). Downside: you will need to learn a server-side programming Language like PHP/JSP or ASP.

Start with C though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Do a search for some links for AJAX and jQuery and you'll see just how powerful it actually is nowadays.

Example: The search facility on www.happyfacesday.ie is based on JavaScript/jQuery and as a result is neater and more search-engine responsive....and that's just a tiny fraction of what modern JavaScript can do; you can have context-sensitive drop-downs (where one select box depends on what's selected in another), drag-and-drop, animated photo galleries, shopping carts, interactive slideshows, and thousands more things.....

And because it's native web code, instead of Flash, it's much more responsive to search engine queries if done right!

The only reason I wouldn't 100% recommend it in your case is because you're saying "not just for web based applications", although the fact is that there is no cross-browser programming language that will do both for you.

JavaScript will, however, allow you to pick up the basics of programming (code syntax, variables, data types, functions, objects, events, methods and classes) and while the idiosyncracies and typographical conventions of the different languages vary, the approach and concepts are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Thanks for the quick replies.

Is C similar to C++? And in relation to having to learn a server side language thats next on my list to do. I already have a basic understanding of PHP/mySQL, must say javascript helped with that.

Liam,
    I was under the assumption that you needed PHP or a similar language for shopping carts, was I wrong?

Also you're defintly right about picking up syntax and it being useful for learning other languages.

Another question, Is Python easy and do you need anything special to run it? I've been reading up a bit about it and it seems versatile enough and easy enough. Another stepping stone language?

(another)Also,
    Are their any major differences between languages? I know their are differences in speed and syntax but in regards to power and capabilities are there much difference?

Thanks again,
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as a famous lecturer in a major college says,

"C++ is basically C plus a little extra". :rolleyes: guess the lecturer.

C++ is widely used, and C is used widely too but it's used more for code that has to run fast.

I see, I think I'll take a look at python though. I may pick up C++ as my sister is studying it in uni (along with java) and she could always help.

On a random note,
    Is mySQL pronounced 'my sequel' or 'my S.Q.L. (how its spelt)' and is C++ pronounced 'C plus' or 'C plus plus(I presume its this one)'?

Also is C the same as C#, if not how do you pronounce C# ('C sharp'?)?

Thanks,
    S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Seachmall wrote:
    On a random note,
    Is mySQL pronounced 'my sequel' or 'my S.Q.L. (how its spelt)' and is C++ pronounced 'C plus' or 'C plus plus(I presume its this one)'?

Also is C the same as C#, if not how do you pronounce C# ('C sharp'?)?

Thanks,
    S.

MySQL = My - S.Q.L. - pronounced how it's spelt except for the "My" :)
    C++ = C Plus Plus
    C# = C - Sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Someone once said: "In C it's fairly easy to "shoot yourself in the foot", whereas in C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you usually blow your whole leg off."

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Seachmall wrote:
    Liam,
    I was under the assumption that you needed PHP or a similar language for shopping carts, was I wrong?

Depends on the cart.

Firstly, most online stores take their details and prices from databases, so even before the page is displayed the PHP has kicked in (and may even have done so before that, if there was a user search).

But the actual functionality of how the cart itself operates and stores data depends on its implementation. It's probably better to store the details in a database, but it could also be stored in cookies.

What I was getting at was the potential for stuff like this:

http://interface.eyecon.ro/demos/cart.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Welcome to the world of programming. As with all aspects of the subject, there will be many conflicting views on javascripts and it's uses. The language (based on ECMAScript and developed independently by both Netscape (who developed javascript) and Microsoft (who developped JScript, the two languages being very similar but having differing DOM models) was designed to help increase the ease of use for the client while preventing malicious misuse (so it was restricted in it's access to the client machine, i.e. no read-write facility, no access to the File System etc).

When I first was learning HTML and scripting I did not have access to a web-server and so used javascript to write those parts of my page that were very repetitive (menus, page layout etc). It is even possible to create an entire website using just 2 files (a html page to present the data and a js file containing the data and presentation functions) - this was of course before CSS was widely used and made layout much easier and less repetive.

Now I use javascript to increase the ease of use for the client. It performs data checks on forms, I still use it to create menus (though a lot of the functional parts of my js code can be now done in CSS) and of course ASP pages can be written in javascript (though I personally prefer VBscript for this).

As you said this doesn't seem like much but have a think about the benefits of learning javascript.

1. You don't need a compiler.
    2. You don't need a webserver.
    3. It teaches the basics of programming, conditional statements, loops, variables, objects, classes and error checking.
    4. You can use what you have learnt to quickly pick up C++, Java, C#, Vbscript, Vb, Vb.net, PHP, ASP and numerous other programming languages. (much like someone who has learnt french can reasonably quickly pick up spanish or italian)
    5. It's free !! :)

Hope that was some help.
    -RD

I think I'll keep with the Javascript for now, as a stepping stone. Thanks.

Anyone any info on python? reccomended?

Thanks,
    S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement