Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange buzzing from behind dash

Options
  • 06-07-2007 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

My uncle has a 01 C-Class Merc and recently there has been a strange buzzing from somewhere behind the dash/under the bonnet. It only happens when you are going at about 25mph+ and dissapears when the steering wheel is turned to the left.As you accelerate, the pitch of the buzz also goes up. He has asked a few mechanics but they don't seem to have a clue. Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could be everthing and anything mechanical or electrical.
    Another suspect would be something caught/stuck/loose somewhere that vibrates in the airflow as you drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clueless Mercedes mechanics, Shurley not? :)

If it dissapears when turning left and pitch increases with speed then its proberly something linked to the wheel hub/bearing area. So its not behind the dash. It could be something as obvious as a slight rubbing contact. Does the car have dust sheilds behind the brake calipers, could be the ABS wire or brake wear sensor wire rubbing?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

DJ Hafez wrote:
    My uncle has a 01 C-Class Merc and recently there has been a strange buzzing from somewhere behind the dash/under the bonnet. It only happens when you are going at about 25mph+ and dissapears when the steering wheel is turned to the left.As you accelerate, the pitch of the buzz also goes up. He has asked a few mechanics but they don't seem to have a clue. Anyone have any idea?
    There could be a leaf (or perhaps bee in your case ;) ) stuck in it. Happened to me before (though not with a Merc) and I was sooo embarrassed to realise it was a flippin leaf :o

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Well he has taken apart alot of random pieces to look for it and nothing. Ill say about te brake wire seonsor/abs wire though. Not sure if he would have checked that.

More suggestions appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

DJ Hafez wrote:

More suggestions appreciated :D

sounds like he has a bee in his bonnet;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

woodseb wrote:
    sounds like he has a bee in his bonnet;)
    You should be banned for that :rolleyes: :D

Advertisement