Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATM Shortage outside Sligo Town

• 06-07-2007 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I recently came back to Ireland after a year in the UK. There weren't many ATMs in the area before I went and I thought SURELY there would be a couple more when I came back but no! :rolleyes:

I live near Geevagh and the nearest ATM to me is either Boyle - 15 miles away, Ballymote - 12 miles away or Collooney - 12 miles away. There used to be one at Castlebaldwin Petrol Station - 5 miles away - but it's been broken since before Christmas according to my brother and when I asked about it, the girl behind the till said it was broken and that it was going. When I asked whether it was going to be replaced she just shrugged and I took it as a no.

Despite having big housing developments Ballygawley doesn't have one, Riverstown doesn't have one and Geevagh barely has a shop let alone an ATM! :rolleyes:

I also can't understand why there is no ATM at the Carraroe Retail Park. I tried to get cashback in HomeBase with my Laser card the other day and they don't do it. The woman at the till was very sympathetic and said that those in charge of the Retail Park had no intention of putting an ATM on the site. The nearest one is at House and Garden.

Anyone else find this annoying or is it just me?! :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I absolutely agree with you. Outside of bigger urban centres its difficult to get an ATM machine. And when you do most of the time you cant get your balance reading so you are in a twilight zone. Most of them charge you for the pleasure of withdrawing money. All these hidden charges mount up....
    Is it lack of competition within the banks or something? Perhaps its just we as consumers are very passive. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

genie wrote:
    I also can't understand why there is no ATM at the Carraroe Retail Park. I tried to get cashback in HomeBase with my Laser card the other day and they don't do it. The woman at the till was very sympathetic and said that those in charge of the Retail Park had no intention of putting an ATM on the site. The nearest one is at House and Garden.

Anyone else find this annoying or is it just me?! :D

i worked up in th retail park for a year, and every day we had customers asking why there wasnt one. that and we didnt give cash back either. it doesnt make business sense not to have one up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The banks don't want ppl queuing in banks anymore.

Besides why bother when you can throw one into a shop!

By the way. It is up to the shop to fill those atm's and in a lot of cases it is a lot of hassle for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Gillie wrote:
    The banks don't want ppl queuing in banks anymore.

Besides why bother when you can throw one into a shop!

By the way. It is up to the shop to fill those atm's and in a lot of cases it is a lot of hassle for them.

not half as much hastle as you get from customers complaining when it is not working.

Usually you will find ATM in a lot of the petrol stations, it helps with the payment methods.

Or worse! You go in to purchase and get some cash and the ATM is out of order. So you pay with Laser but the shop doesn't do cashback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Up to a few years ago, it was even worse. It's still not ideal though. In shop ATM's don't let you see how much is in your account (Ulster Bank maybe?) they are out of order frequently and obviously unavailable when the shop closes.
    It's a strange phenomenon. Banks spent years encouraging people to keep their money with them, and then to have their wages paid directly into them, and then not provide reasonable access to it.
    A few years back, there was no ATM in Leitrim between Manorhamilton and Ballinamore unless you detored to Sligo, Carrick or Boyle. I was caught short on many a Sunday evening when a couple of pints turned into a skinfull.
    The way people manage their money these days, ATMs are not a luxury, more a necessity.
    To my knowledge, Ballyfarnon, Keadue, Castlebaldwin, Ballinafad, Riverstown and Coolaney have no ATM. They're not all in Sligo, but the same region. That's a broad sweep of locations with no access to cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

there's a lack of them in the town of sligo aswell!!!!there's feck all and only one in the college that is either always out fo order or only has fiftys and there's not alot of students who will be takin fiftys out all the time!!!!

flynnser19 wrote:
    there's a lack of them in the town of sligo aswell!!!!there's feck all and only one in the college that is either always out fo order or only has fiftys and there's not alot of students who will be takin fiftys out all the time!!!!

When I was in college it was pounds!
    Jesus you could get pissed on a 20 pound note back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

i kno its impossible to get pissed on twenty euro nearly!!altho ya gotta love hock wine in tesco only 3 euro or somethin or that rose wine we used to buy in lidl for a couple of euro yum!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Keep her between the hedges now. ;)

I think there's a wee bit of deviance from the topic of ATM's (or the lack of)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Just bumping up this thread to add that there is now an ATM at Healy's in Ballyfarnon (the place with the petrol pumps!). I know that it is in Co Roscommon but only just! :D

Advertisement