Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee for shop which to get in

• 06-07-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Have a small cafe and wondering whats the most popular coffee to sell, we used to have lavatsa and that was well liked by all but now we are chaging from lavatsa as there were problems with there machines, looks like we maybe getting bewleys and suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Bewleys is ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

SeaSide wrote:
    Bewleys is ****e

Agree 100%. I hate when you are somewhere new and you go to the local coffee shop and then you see the Bewleys sign. My heart just sinks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

SeaSide wrote:
    Bewleys is ****e

Actually that isn't the whole story.

Bewleys revolting filter brew that stands there for hours and gets poured into big cups off a tap is indeed complete s***e.

Bewleys roasted beans are excellent. Decent quality beans, good blends and always freshly roasted. Just don't make the mistake of actually drinking it in Bewleys since they never seem to clean their espresso machines and it always tastes vile.

Nonetheless I use Bewleys espresso blend on my market stall (it's the only way I can reliably get a fresh roast every week) and am regularly told it's the best coffee people can get anywhere.

So don't be too hasty to write off Bewleys. It all depends on what you're buying and how you plan to use it.

By the way, I don't display Bewleys sign 'cos I have the same heart-sinking reaction when I see that sign in a coffee house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm not sure what you mean about getting rid of Lavazza due to problems
    with their machines - am guessing that the supplier of your equipment
    was also supplying you with beans and you're looking to find a single
    source to look after both your hardware and supply beans. Pity as
    Lavazza would be one of my mass-produced favourites, maybe see if
    you can get different hardware and Lavazza elsewhere.

These guys might be worth a shot as an alternative:
    http://www.javarepublic.com/iopen24/
    (I believe the founders are ex-Bewleys and whilst I haven't used them
    in about 6 months I found their beans fresher than Bewleys and better).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Two cafes down the road from me......one serves Bewleys and the other Java Republic, the Java republic coffee is consistently better. Although this does not take barista skills into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I'm not a coffee drinker but I used to make the stuff. I suggest trying out coffee from several places (at least more than once for each place) and find out which coffee each place uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Illy is very nice i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

How about stocking FairTrade only?

After wataching the eye opener film black gold I'll never drink anything but again.
    http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

egan007 wrote:
    How about stocking FairTrade only?

After wataching the eye opener film black gold I'll never drink anything but again.
    http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

I was just going to suggest FairTrade.

I and friends increasingly look for FairTrade everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

karen3212 wrote:
    I was just going to suggest FairTrade.

I and friends increasingly look for FairTrade everything.

I'm quite sure a lot of people will roll their eyes at the idea of fair trade because it's becoming a 'lifestyle'

I don't buy into any lifestyles but I do agree in fair pay for fair work.

• Advertisement

One of the reasons why I buy from Bewleys is that most of their blends are Fair Trade.
    I found their beans fresher than Bewleys and better
    That's interesting. I've seen packs of Java Republic beans roasted over a year ago for sale around Dublin. Not sure what you get if you order online, but if you go into Bewleys on Grafton Street and buy over the counter, the beans will usually have been roasted either that day or the day before. Can't get fresher than that unless you're roasting it yourself.

Java Republic make a big deal on their web site about the importance of ethical trading. However they do not clearly state what their actual policy is. When I emailed them to enquire I didn't get a reply so I remain to be convinced that their beans are in fact ethically sourced.
    egan007 wrote:
    I'm quite sure a lot of people will roll their eyes at the idea of fair trade because it's becoming a 'lifestyle'

I'm sure your right - but I don't suppose it matters whether it's a lifestyle fad or a serious political statement to the coffee growers, as long as they get paid reasonably. Personally I do these things for my own reasons, don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

A mate of mine has a cafe - he uses Ristretto coffee roasters for his cafe and is very pleased with the coffee and service.

Actually it was my mate who introduced me to Ristretto - that is where I bought my Rancilio Silvia from.

www.ristrettocoffee.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

+1 for Bewley's beans. They are top notch. I worked there for 3 years and the filter brew stuff (which actually doesn't taste like coffee IMO) isn't a ptach on the beans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I purchased some fresh dark roast Bewleys beans recently and really enjoyed the espresso I made. I would go on a tasting spree before reaching a decision myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

zuutroy wrote:
    +1 for Bewley's beans. They are top notch. I worked there for 3 years and the filter brew stuff (which actually doesn't taste like coffee IMO) isn't a ptach on the beans.

It is a big question for Bewleys management that they allow their brand to be so damaged. And they are going to get their market further decimated by the new entrants

When I worked in town I actually found that the coffee I could get in McCafe was better than I could get in Bewleys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not surprised...Its a while since I worked there, but it was always the lunatics running the asylum in there. Management didn't seem to care what happened or how anything was done. Very little proper training because the staff turnover was so high.

jimmytwo wrote:
    A mate of mine has a cafe - he uses Ristretto coffee roasters for his cafe and is very pleased with the coffee and service.

Actually it was my mate who introduced me to Ristretto - that is where I bought my Rancilio Silvia from.

www.ristrettocoffee.com

I order once a month from these guys and am a fan of their beans.
    I'd be a loyal customer to any coffee shop near me if they stocked
    their coffee and were able to make a decent espresso.
    (It doesn't matter how good the coffee or the equipment is if the
    staff aren't trained properly, it's not like dumping some scalding water
    and a couple of tea bags into a pot).

I order once a month from these guys and am a fan of their beans.
    I'd be a loyal customer to any coffee shop near me if they stocked
    their coffee and were able to make a decent espresso.
    (It doesn't matter how good the coffee or the equipment is if the
    staff aren't trained properly, it's not like dumping some scalding water
    and a couple of tea bags into a pot).

Yea me too - I have tried a lot of other beans from other sources (some also very good), but for some reason I keep going back to Ristretto's Espresso Blend.

This coffee lark is too addictive!!

Where's your cafe neon_glows - am always on the lookout for a good quality cafe...

jimmytwo wrote:
    Yea me too - I have tried a lot of other beans from other sources (some also very good), but for some reason I keep going back to Ristretto's Espresso Blend.

I've had that one too, it's really top class. Amazing spicy aftertaste.

Not had it for a good while though - could be time to order up some more.

• Advertisement

jimmytwo wrote:

This coffee lark is too addictive!!

Just sign up for a Ristretto monthly espresso subscription/delivery ;)

Just sign up for a Ristretto monthly espresso subscription/delivery ;)

not listening to the voices, not listening to the voices :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

missmatty wrote:
    Illy is very nice i think.

I second this! Though I actually prefer Lavazza (I like my Italian coffee in general :p ). Couldn't you just sort out your machine problem and stick with Lavazza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

jimmytwo wrote:

www.ristrettocoffee.com

Though this looks interesting too... I should probably expand my coffee horizons at some stage :) Can you buy the coffee in shops or just online? I haven't noticed it here...

Though this looks interesting too... I should probably expand my coffee horizons at some stage :) Can you buy the coffee in shops or just online? I haven't noticed it here...

I usually order online - I've never seen it in the shops (although there maybe somewhere sells it)

Though I actually prefer Lavazza (I like my Italian coffee in general :p ). Couldn't you just sort out your machine problem and stick with Lavazza?

If I where to buy a 'supermarket' coffee, Lavazza would be my choice also

Advertisement