Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polished porcelain black tiles

Options
  • 06-07-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all

Ya or Nay. Girlfriend is determined to get polished porcelain black tiles for the kitchen floor. tiles are 60x60cm. The cost is huge as floor space is 38sq yards. I need to weigh up the pro's and con's so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shesham

Black floor tiles shows up dirt, dust everything ... I should know we live in a house with black 12x12 cermaic tile (not polished) in the hall and kitchen and my heart is broken with it. I have to constantly sweep the floor during the day and wash often. We are building a house now and I've found a lovely 45x45 ceramic cream tile with a brown vein through it (Crema Marphil) lovely, bright and will not show up the dirt as much. Not to mention it will make the space bigger and brighter...I'm putting it from the front door right through to the kitchen. I honestly think too much black is gloomy looking, I hate my space right now and cant wait to get out of it. Is it a bright room you are putting it into?? Polished black tile may be different...end of the day it's what you like and what you are prepared to put up with for the next xxx years...good luck..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Walk away from the black, put them down for the Ma-out-law there 2 years ago, she wants them up now!!
    Sister same problem, hates them

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Forget about black tiles in a kitchen...whatever about a bathroom! We rented a house for 7 months with black kitchen floor and it was a NIGHTMARE to keep clean. We weren't in the house all day everyday and we used to sweep the floor at least three times and run the mop over the floor at least twice a day(am and pm) It showed up every footstep and it wasn't black polished either!! It drove us crazy!!! It was a great learning curve though because the black slate tiles that I had on my wish list for our new build at the time came off the list within a fortnight of us moving into the rental house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Thinking of putting cream polished porcelain tiles in our kitchen and hall. How easy are these to keep clean/maintain? Are they really slippy when wet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

polished anything on a kitchen floor is probably not a good idea due to thelack of grip.

We have 45x45 black porcelain on our floor and its grand.
    Yeah it gets dirty but its a piece of pi$$ to clean.
    Obviously if you walk about in wet shoes you are going to leave marks but its 2 seconds to clean them.

However, polished/shiny/gloss black will be impossible.
    Anything that dulls the surface will stand out and annoy you, even a smudge.

Advertisement