Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

08xxxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie

Options
  • 06-07-2007 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Stupid question ... sending mails to 08xxxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie is always free, even when roaming ... right?

I don't wanna forward whole loads of mail to it while I'm on hols only to find out I've been charged :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

ciaranfo wrote:
    Stupid question ... sending mails to 08xxxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie is always free, even when roaming ... right?

I don't wanna forward whole loads of mail to it while I'm on hols only to find out I've been charged :D

Sending to @sms.mymeteor.ie is free, @mms.mymeteor.ie will incur roaming GPRS charging when you receive the MMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

flodis79 wrote:
    Sending to @sms.mymeteor.ie is free, @mms.mymeteor.ie will incur roaming GPRS charging when you receive the MMS.

Meteor charge to recieve MMS while roaming?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Meteor charge to recieve MMS while roaming?

Basically yes. You don't pay per se for receiving the MMS but you pay for the data transferred. All networks charge for incoming data in roaming.

But MMS are never considered GPRS, even though they use the GPRS system. They're just counted as recieving a MMS - they don't show up on your bill or account history as GPRS?

Are you telling me that if someone spams me a load of MMS messages I'll be charged for each one?

ciaranfo wrote:
    But MMS are never considered GPRS, even though they use the GPRS system. They're just counted as recieving a MMS - they don't show up on your bill or account history as GPRS?

Are you telling me that if someone spams me a load of MMS messages I'll be charged for each one?

Your are never billed for the GPRS traffic of MMS's sent and received when you are in coverage of your network. When in roaming you have to pay those fees, since the visited network won't cover you for this.

If somebody is spamming you alot of MMS's abroad - then, yes, you will be charged for each one.

It works out the same way as the Windows Live Messenger o2 has free data traffic in Ireland, but abroad you have to pay for the data.

• Advertisement

I thought MMS was just MMS and there was no GPRS charges involved regardless of it using GPRS. I don't see your Live MSN comparison .. but I do see where you're coming from. I'll email Meteor and confirm.

Anyways .. does @mms.mymeteor.ie work for you? I'm using it just like I use @sms.mymeteor.ie but I'm not getting anything on my phone?

++ edit ++
    May be my phone settings, gonna recheck them in a while. I would have assumed I'd get one of those "go to our website and download your MMS, your phone isn't setup" messages that VOdafone and O2 send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

look in any mms settings menu and there's an option to select receive in home network only, ie you wont receive and wont be charged for mms while roaming. this is the default setting. i actually never received a picture message while abroad, just a text with a link where i could view on the operator website.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I thought MMS was just MMS and there was no GPRS charges involved regardless of it using GPRS. I don't see your Live MSN comparison ..

In Ireland the Live Messenger is free on imode at the moment, thus the data traffic incurred by this application is free. Likewise, MMS incur data downloads, which are free when within the country of the network. When you roam you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

flodis79 wrote:
    In Ireland the Live Messenger is free on imode at the moment, thus the data traffic incurred by this application is free. Likewise, MMS incur data downloads, which are free when within the country of the network. When you roam you have to pay.
    It's not a fair like-for-like comparison though. They run through different APNs. On O2, Vodafone (and I assume 3) it's free to receive (download) and mms while at home and abroad.

This is just a Meteor thing then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

does anyone know if this still works?

last i checked it still worked, but i got a new phone today and can't seem to receive any sms from my email. i've tried 085xxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie as well as 35385xxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie and so far no messages.

when trying @mms.mymeteor.ie, there's an instant email reply saying the message wasn't sent ("sender not allowed"). but simply nothing happens when i use @sms.

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Zombie thread. :D

And in reply to your question, no, 08xxxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie hasn't worked for a few years.

08xxxxxxxx@mms.mymeteor.ie should still work no problem though. Subject becomes the body and media attachments should come through also.

The emails need to be <300k iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

yep, zombie dates noted. just reading some more current comments. looks like sending from gmail and several other online email providers isn't kosher. thanks for the input.

Advertisement