Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car based vans

Options
  • 06-07-2007 7:05am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The boss is due to fork out one for me and i've been keeping an eye out for suggestions. Most recent addition to my list is the new opel astra sport hatch van.
    • Opel Astra Sport Hatch Van
    • Renault Megavan (boss seems to like this)
    • Ford Focus (loads of them around - must be good?)
    • Toyota Corrolla (as above)
    • Toyota Aurus (One on from corrolla seemingly)
    Anyone have any opinions, good, bad, or indifferent from personal experience on these or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I have an old model Megavan, what can I say about it other than it's been pretty reliable so far, not exactly a dream to drive or gonna set the world alight but for what it is, it's fine. I think the Focus van looks well, or as well as a van can look and the Focus is a highly recommended car from what I can tell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If Skoda did an Octavia van it'd be a sure fire winner;)

Huge boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've driven the Auris van, there's two trim specs available, Terra (base) and Strata (base plus 16" alloys and front fogs).
    There is only one engine option available, the 90bhp 1.4 D-4D.
    Air conditioning is not available, even as an option.

If Skoda did an Octavia van it'd be a sure fire winner;)

Huge boot.

Skoda do a Fabia van in Eastern Europe, which is basically a Fabia estate with the windows blacked out and no rear seats.
    am_34v_519_2664.fabia

In the Netherlands, Tyoota do a van version of the Corolla Verso
    verso_van_tcm27-549903.jpg
    verso_van2_tcm27-549906.jpg
    verso_van4_tcm27-549904.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Whats to stop me from buying a BMW 320d Estate in England or the north. Converting it to a van like what they do to the X5. Then paying VRT of 50 euro and using it as a van here.

It would look much better that any of the other options. eg almera, megavan or corolla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

My Brother just bought a Golf that was converted into a Van. It's a pretty sweet car, sorry Van.

Noelie wrote:
    My Brother just bought a Golf that was converted into a Van. It's a pretty sweet car, sorry Van.

When was it converted to a van?

I need a van but don't want to get rid of my BMW. This would be a cool compromise. All the luxury with the practicality of a van.

Importing from the UK would also cut my costs if i could get away with paying only 50 euro VRT.

might be tricky to sell it on again though.

colm_mcm wrote:
    might be tricky to sell it on again though.

Good point i suppose. The same could of being said when the X5's were converted to vans. It's not BMW that supply the X5 in van form.

there'll always be a market for 4X4 commercials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have a Golf van TD(red)I. Very nice. Reliable, feels strong, safe.

From a VRT point of view does anyone see any problems?

I'd try and get the boss to get a Golf, I think they have A/C standard, and even the base 1.9 TDI will have a good bit of power. They are a bit pricey though, but that or an Auris will definately cost the company less than a Renault Megavan when depreciation and repairs are considered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

VW Caddy tdi, Great Van to drive. handles like a golf goes like a bullet!
    Has to be the tdi model!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ianbrennan2000

i have focus van 06 model
    great to drive and was one of the cheapest(with alloys,black paint and fog lights) so looks well too
    I get about 850-900km per tank €50
    I have done 76000km so far with no problems at all
    would definitely recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW Caddy tdi, Great Van to drive. handles like a golf goes like a bullet!
    Has to be the tdi model!

Agreed. However, the caddy is a van - full stop. It's not a car derived van as per the OP's OP.

Of the OP's list, I'd go with either Toyota. You need a van, so it follows that reliability is important as the van is to be used augment profit. So you need it on the road rather than in a garage. A Toyota will see to that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks for all the help guys, I may even look into the caddy van actually! So far the toyota auris is kinda pricey, as is the astra. Got ok prices on focus and megavan (very similar). Think the caddy price will be similar..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If he's looking at the Caddy should he not also look at the Seat Inca?

Boss'd be be buying new, don't see any new incas on the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

New Caddy is based on the Golf Platform whereas the previous model (and the Inca) was based on the Polo platform. Both god awful vans by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Really? All the reviews I've been able to find were favourable. Could you show me some of the bad stuff? I genuinely would like to see what people are saying about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

MarkR wrote:
    Boss'd be be buying new, don't see any new incas on the sites.
    Inca discontinued 2003. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MarkR wrote:
    Really? All the reviews I've been able to find were favourable. Could you show me some of the bad stuff? I genuinely would like to see what people are saying about this!

I've heard nothing but good things about the current (new) Caddy van, it's the older one that was prone to breaking, and as it was the same van as the Inca with a different badge on the front, that wasn't much cop either.

Haven't driven a Caddy, but if you are used to a car then you'd be better off in a Golf or Focus Van.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vans like the VW Caddy, Seat Inca and Opel Combi are generally vans that have existing car underpinings but were designed specifically to be vans. This means that things such as creature comforts and drivability are a compromised in favour of space and practicality. If your in the market for one of these then you have lots of options. Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Boxer, Renault Kango, Ford Connect, etc.

Car based vans such as the Corolla, Focus and Golf are all basically cars with the rear seats removed and rear windows blanked out. They still have most of the creature comforts and drivability of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I'd still go for the TDI caddy, Had one on lease for 3weeks and done 8,000 kms, and it didn't miss a beat, drove the boll@x out of it and it was great, even better with a load, you would have to be on the outside to see it was a van.
    Goes like a bullet! and comfy too!

Test drive one before you buy anything!

Under 15,000 grand new before VAT 000s cheaper than the golf and much better IMO

Advertisement