Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking a Combinaion Lock

Options
  • 06-07-2007 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

When myself and the missus were moving from our old apartment we didn't have anywhere for the bikes in the new apartment so as I was friendly with the caretaker he said we could leave them in the old place until we sorted somewhere out for them. So I bought two combination locks and left them there until I got a place sorted out in our new apartment.

About a month has passed and unfortunately I've forgotten the combination of one of the lock's. Is there anyway to crack the combination or is it simply the case of having to get the thingy to snip the lock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

eo980 wrote:
    Is there anyway to crack the combination or is it simply the case of having to get the thingy to snip the lock?

Hitting the lock with a hammer might be enough to open it, a hacksaw should work too. Unfortunately bolt cutters are cheap enough to buy, check your local hardware store.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What is the make of the lock eo980? I have a Master combination lock from a US high school for example, and it's easy enough to crack the combination if you forget it using a method I found online. It might be no harm to google the Manufaturers name. Failing that, get an angle grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for the info guys. Ahh it wasn't anything terribly expensive, I think it was about €12 from Argos. Just a shame as I should have remembered what it was and I'll have to get another one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hammer. Hold the comination part against the ground (using the cable on one side), and hit repeatedly with the hammer in the same place. Shouldn't take more than about 10 good smacks.

Gil

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sometimes people leave the sticker with the combination on the lock

if it's a very simple lock with three levers or rings 000 - 999 then apply tension to the lock and you move each of the three levers in turn you will feel the lock give a little on one of the number - repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woo Hooo I just remembered the combination!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It wasn't 980 was it? ;)

Advertisement