Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Installation

• 06-07-2007 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I installed XP Home Edition SP2 on my macbook last night... only trouble is it seems its only going to last 30 days because when I went to activate windows it says that the product key's usage has been exceeded... the disc I used was one my dad got with his new PC....

Question is.... If I buy an XP Pro Upgrade... will I be able to upgrade my unactivated Home Edition? Is it simply a case of installing the Pro cds then using the product key with that to activate the XP pro?

Appreciate your help guys,

John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I highly doubt that pc was new if its been exceeded already.. I reinstalled xp about 20 times with my old pcs and twice on my new one before it ran out so now im stuck on vista :( lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You can't use the same XP license on more than one computer at any given time , that's why the second copy isn't being activated.

Also, you've got a perfectly stable os in OS X that's already on the laptop anyways, why would you want Windows on it in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

I need to run some simultion packages for work that only run in windows... without it on my laptop Im restricted to only running these at my desk... so windows is a must have on my laptop... otherwise ill have to buy a second laptop with windows... since im upgrading my macbook hard drive to 250gb Ill have plenty of space to have to operating systems.....

So I know I cant run the Home Edition... fair enough... was just trying my luck... but can anyone answer my question... that is, if I buy an XP Pro upgrade pack.. can I upgrade the unactivated home edition before the 30 days ends and activate the pro with the product key I get? Or will I have to buy a XP Pro full install and start from scratch?

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Achilles wrote:
    You can't use the same XP license on more than one computer at any given time , that's why the second copy isn't being activated.

Also, you've got a perfectly stable os in OS X that's already on the laptop anyways, why would you want Windows on it in the first place?
    not true,

if you got the cd before with your dad's computer, its most likely a short oem licence, valid for like 100 activations,

YOu will need to purchase a new licence key for your macbook, as the licence for it is only valid for your dad's PC.

I would suggest ringing microsoft and purchasing a new licence, or if your dad isn't genuinly using that version of xp any more (not sure how oem licensing works here) you could be able to ring up microsoft and get a new key from them for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

jmck87 wrote:
    I need to run some simultion packages for work that only run in windows... without it on my laptop Im restricted to only running these at my desk... so windows is a must have on my laptop... otherwise ill have to buy a second laptop with windows... since im upgrading my macbook hard drive to 250gb Ill have plenty of space to have to operating systems.....

So I know I cant run the Home Edition... fair enough... was just trying my luck... but can anyone answer my question... that is, if I buy an XP Pro upgrade pack.. can I upgrade the unactivated home edition before the 30 days ends and activate the pro with the product key I get? Or will I have to buy a XP Pro full install and start from scratch?

Thanks again guys.
    you could alco look at virtual pc for mac, or vmware.

Virtual PC i think is free and comes installed on osx tiger but im not 100% sure.

YOu can run a virtual computer from your osx desktop and install windows on it, hey presto, two operating systems or more on one PC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

not true,

YOu will need to purchase a new licence key for your macbook, as the licence for it is only valid for your dad's PC.

If I buy a legal genuine full version of XP on the likes of Ebay, could I use the product key with it to activate my windows? Or would I have to install from the bought disc?

@matt: with virtual pc I would still have the same problem.....but thanks.

If all fails.... I will probably just buy a full XP pro installation of ebay... see them for little over €100... then delete the partition and start again.

Is it easy to undo the partition boot camp creates? In other words revert back to the way it was before I installed windows...?

Advertisement