Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Hare Hunting/coursing?

• 06-07-2007 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Does anybody know, for sure, the laws, concerning private hare coursing, with the farmers consent and in season, in this country, with lurchers?

Thanks,

Keelan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

from what i read the other day you must have the lurcher muzzled if you are coursing. as far as i know now hunting with animals is still legal, but you must have the landowners permission to be on the land or he can prosecute, even if you have no firearms. i was reading about this recently because i have recently bought a ferret and wanted to see where my legal standing was to hunt with animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Thanks Stevoman.
    I hunt with ferrets threw the winter months and have no problems, as long as you ask permission.
    Most farmers plagued with rabbits, are too willing to give permission to hunt them with a ferret and i have rang my local wildlife ranger on the matter, he told me, no problem what so ever, he said i can net, shoot trap them ect.

When it comes to hunting with lurchers and the hare, its a different matter, but so far, from what i can gather, if they are pletifull and are in season and cousing some problems to the farmer, a written permission can be got from the farmer and hunting them is perfectly leagle. Closed in park coursing, that is seen in Clonmell, is different, the greyhounds have to wear muzzles.

Anyone else thats has anymore info on this matter and knows what they are talking about, your facts will be welcomed, thanks,

keelan.

sorry i must have read it wrong. of course it was an article on the banbloodsports website in which i came across it!!!!! i was just wondering as you said you do a lot of ferreting and i have done quite a lot in my time with my friends two ferrets, but there is one question i am finding it hard to get an answer for off people as my friend bought his pair when they were two years old. my ferret is ten weeks old and i was wondering do you know what is the best age to start him working?

I start mine off bit by bit at 4 months old (16 weeks).
    Just the small borrows at first, say 2-3 holers and slowly build it up.
    Good luck with your 10 week old kit.:)

Keelan.

thanks, i'l send him in with an older one and see how he works. at least nowi know when i can start him. thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

can only course as part of a coursing club under licence
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

are hares protected during year? They have a season for shooting and only with a shotgun as they are classed as game ? from october to february I think ? However nobody I know, including me, shoots them at all. Is coursing with lamps legal ? Lot of that around my place by Travellers !!! without landowners permission too !!!!!!!!!

illegal to use a lamp to take game and or birds but okay for vermin.
    yeah there is a season for hares

BryanL wrote:
    can only course as part of a coursing club under licence
    Bryan

I take it your in a coursing club Bryan?
    Can you please show me where it says you can only kill hares in a club under licence and where it says its ileagle to take them under permission with lurchers?
    I have hunted the hare, for the past 18 years, usuing lurchers under permission from farmers and never had a problem.

Keelan.

P.M. sent

• Advertisement
Advertisement