Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car alert

Options
  • 06-07-2007 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Just like to draw your attention to this car on carzone

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=636114

Apparently, a 6 speed 1.9TDi 130bhp 4motion Passat with 72k, or is it...

It was imported on the 5th of June last year and it's old registration was DE03 CLF (cartell.ie)

So I ran a HPI check on it.

Turns out, that on 07 June 2006, it was recorded as having 107201 on the clock. See below.
    Date recordedRecorded by
    Mileage reading
    Total
    17-Oct-2003
    Franchised Dealer

28-May-2004
    Franchised Dealer

28-May-2004
    Trade Association

12-Jan-2005
    Trade Association

07-Feb-2005
    Franchised Dealer

14-Feb-2005
    Trade Association

30-Apr-2005
    Trade Association

30-Sep-2005
    Franchised Dealer

13-Mar-2006
    Franchised Dealer

07-Jun-2006
    BVRLA

But also interestingly, this is also apparently a
    PASSAT S TDI, 5 Speed Manual Diesel
    and not a 6 speed 4motion one as advertised. So is it a clone, as well as being clocked!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

So what can be done about it? Can you contact anyone on this, like the papers?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The dealer could be in trouble over this. Are you going to report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Also says "650MILES ON 1 TANK AMAZING CAR!!!!!!!!!"

I hope he is reported !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wow. Nice work. Hope some poor sucker doesn't end up buying it. Can the real mileage be recorded on cartell.ie?

Is it my imagination or do VW and Audi diesels seem to be the most common targets for clocking? Are they especially easy to clock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

The department of consumer affairs would be very interested in this should anyone decide to report it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cartell is a waste of space. It gives no mileage validation, nor guarantee against duff info.

HPI does both and is essential for a UK sourced car.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Where do you go to get a HPI check done.
    I wouldn't say VW Audi ae easier to clock than other cars.
    It's probably the fact that more of these are being brought into the country as the demand for them is so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

I have a record of an HPI check done of my car when I bought it but it doesn't have records of the mileage. It also has "no previous owners" - which means that from April 2003 till November 2006 (when I bought it) no one had ever owned it. Bit strange????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

rubyred wrote:
    I have a record of an HPI check done of my car when I bought it but it doesn't have records of the mileage. It also has "no previous owners" - which means that from April 2003 till November 2006 (when I bought it) no one had ever owned it. Bit strange????

Yes, it had no previous owners, prior to the person that owned it when it was exported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

I went to view this car in May, it had 12,000 miles ("original mileage") at the time, plus MOT cert from last year stating that the mileage was 7,600 miles:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=551263

I was suspicious as all the history & MOT were hand written; every wheel had a different brand of tyre; there were different wheel nuts on one wheel. There was overspray on rear bumper. A week later the advert was updated, mileage went up to 40K miles... !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

testicle wrote:
    Yes, it had no previous owners, prior to the person that owned it when it was exported.

I see - so garages arent' counted as owners. So the person who orignally bought it sold it to a garage in england, who sold it to the garage in Ireland, who sold it to me. I get it. Only 1 owner in England and I'm the first owner in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Personally I wouldn't go near any car that was imported from England...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Obviously - All Irish cars are obviously 100% genuine :rolleyes:

Great spot by the OP, can't actually envisage where this place is in Swords though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

gbh wrote:

I would, and have. If the history is good, and the underneath of the car hasn't been ravaged by road salt, most UK cars are in excellent condition, and usually have a fantastic spec.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Gatster wrote:
    can't actually envisage where this place is in Swords though.

I went to test drive a cherokee in that place last year. I didn't take the testdrive in the end because when i arrived a mechanic had went out to source a new battery for it. When he arrived back in the jeep the bonnet was half open. Weird for a car i was meant to be test driving. Turns out they had fitted a new battery alright. But it was miles to big for the vehicle. IMO these people don't give a dam.

At this stage i just walked away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Any chance that it could be in KM's in that report?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Lads I would not make a clear cut between UK cars being bad & Irish ones so much better.
    In the UK it is far easier (& has been for a long time) to trace the history of a car.

I have been offered fake tax discs (€60), fake NCT (€50), car clocking services (€100), all this without even asking. In fact when the people in question offered they made out I was a fool to do it legitamately!!! And up until recently there was no way of knowing what was the real values. Even now the likes of cartell.ie will not have all the info.

In my mind once you do the research on a UK car you are actually better off with an import. Look how easy it was for the OP to discover this car's shady history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

ned78 wrote:
    I would, and have. If the history is good, and the underneath of the car hasn't been ravaged by road salt, most UK cars are in excellent condition, and usually have a fantastic spec.

agree 100%, there is a far better range to choose from.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

delly wrote:

The UK still use miles. Don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

testicle wrote:
    Just like to draw your attention to this car on carzone

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=636114

Apparently, a 6 speed 1.9TDi 130bhp 4motion Passat with 72k, or is it...

It was imported on the 5th of June last year and it's old registration was DE03 CLF (cartell.ie)

So I ran a HPI check on it.

Turns out, that on 07 June 2006, it was recorded as having 107201 on the clock. See below.

But also interestingly, this is also apparently a and not a 6 speed 4motion one as advertised. So is it a clone, as well as being clocked!?!

I think I'm gonna be sick. I bought this car 4 weeks ago, what do I do?

delly wrote:

The UK has never heard of Kilometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In my opinion if your looking at UK imports then go over there and look at the cars yourself, do your homework, background checks and HPI yourself.

I personally would not buy from these guys over here selling UK imports. Too dodgy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

TedKelly wrote:
    I think I'm gonna be sick. I bought this car 4 weeks ago, what do I do?

It was confirmed in stock today.

To th OP, how did you come across the original Uk registration?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So is anyone going to report this twat, OP well spotted, what made you check it for HPI?

yop wrote:
    So is anyone going to report this twat, OP well spotted, what made you check it for HPI?

I do it as standard for UK imports that I'm interested in.

As for where I got the original UK registration, the €25 check on cartell.ie

Surely with the reg ending with 3217, wouldn't that mean that the car was originally registered here in Ireland. I was sure that when you import a car from the UK, the numbering after the county letters is higher, a guess at above 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TedKelly wrote:
    Surely with the reg ending with 3217, wouldn't that mean that the car was originally registered here in Ireland. I was sure that when you import a car from the UK, the numbering after the county letters is higher, a guess at above 100,000.

Post a picture of it.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TedKelly wrote:

Not at all. You get the next reg in the queue. So, if the registrations are at 05KK1234 at the moment, you import a car, then you get 05KK1235.

Advertisement