Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car alert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

I'm at work at the moment. Ya don't believe I own this car??? I will be glad to post a pic when I get home. If you were in my position, what would you do about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

TedKelly wrote:
    I'm at work at the moment. Ya don't believe I own this car??? I will be glad to post a pic when I get home. If you were in my position, what would you do about this?
    I'd be going back to the garage armed with as much information as possible looking for a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Post a picture of it, and I'll send you the HPI check and the Cartell report. Then you need to see a solicitor.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

It's an English car with an Offaly registration and the dealer is in Dublin. I doubt this dealer imported then car.

If you bought this car i'd say you could get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

He might want to keep the car. I would want to keep the car, and get a few bob for my troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

This is getting interesting guys

Looks like we have a major Crime scene i wonder if this is an Isolated incident or a wide practice.

I would say go even a step further Refund + cost for HPI plus business lost because of the time you wasted in comming back to him and all this !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

siralfalot wrote:
    agree 100%, there is a far better range to choose from.

Absolutely I'd feel safer buying a UK car than an Irish one - too many grey areas here - there are garages in this country who employ people specifically to clock cars - even some main dealers - it's rife.

TedKelly....is it a 5speed or 6speed? 4motion or not?

testicle wrote:
    Post a picture of it, and I'll send you the HPI check and the Cartell report. Then you need to see a solicitor.

No worries and thanks for your help. I won't be home until late but will post a pic a.s.a.p. and appreciate all advice.

fletch wrote:
    TedKelly....is it a 5speed or 6speed? 4motion or not?

5 speed mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Has anyone called the garage to see if that car is there and maybe tedKelly is just winding you all up...

but if you did buy the car, print that page now before the dealer removes it. and get the hpi and cartell report. Ask the dealer what's going on and if he gives you "that's how I got it" go to consumer affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

TedKelly wrote:
    Surely with the reg ending with 3217, wouldn't that mean that the car was originally registered here in Ireland. I was sure that when you import a car from the UK, the numbering after the county letters is higher, a guess at above 100,000.
    Checking with Cartell for County Offaly in that year there are less than 3,500 car registrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Perhaps unkel or someone could sticky something at the top of the page with a title like: "When buying check if the car is a UK import; If it is HPI check it and verify the service history is present and correct. Otherwise don't buy".
    Preferably a locked thread, just containing the relevant links to hpicheck etc.

Talk about clocking UK cars has been going around this forum for probably a year, but fortunately ala HPI etc it's easier to check out a UK car than an Irish one.

It's a shame a boards member (or anyone) has been scammed, considering the above knowledge has been around so long. Maybe time to highlight it better?

Snapshot of the page on 16 May 2007 03:40:20 GMT.

Here

I also have the page saved just in case.

steve06 wrote:
    Has anyone called the garage to see if that car is there and maybe tedKelly is just winding you all up...

but if you did buy the car, print that page now before the dealer removes it. and get the hpi and cartell report. Ask the dealer what's going on and if he gives you "that's how I got it" go to consumer affairs.

A mate of mine has just taken a photo of my car on his phone, will be posting shortly. (why this would be a wind up I dunno) Anyway, printed carzone article and 1st couple of pages from this thread. Was thinking of going to dealer in the morning but not sure which way to approach it. I like the car but not sure if I want to look for some refund or total refund and look elsewhere. Will definetly go to department of consumer affairs if I'm not satisfied. Thanks for the advice.

06072007289.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

Regardless of whether or not you want a refund etc., the Garage should be punished/fined/shut down by the Dept of Consumer Affairs. God knows how many other people have bought (and will keep on buying) dodgy cars off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Well the very least you will get is your money back. Is the dealer a member of the SIMI? It would be interesting how they deal with this one, what they'll say to defend the action, etc.
    Sorry to hear you were duped.
    There is the possibilty that they were using a picture your car to advertise another car? What's the mileage say on your clocks?

Not sure how best to approach this. The dealer may not have imported the car himself so may be unaware of it being clocked. However he is still responsible for your case.
    Maybe talk to a solicitor first before talking to anyone else (preferably one that does not know the dealer in question)? At least that way you knwo the right thing to do legally. I would be looking fo rthe dealer to cover any associated fees too.
    TedKelly wrote:
    Will definetly go to department of consumer affairs if I'm not satisfied.
    I would go to consumer affairs regardless.

I work for a legal firm. There are two issues here. The first being that the car was clocked, and the second being that the car is still being advertised as being for sale when it has been sold for some time. That is false advertising and is a crime (using a pic of the car to advert another car is still false advertisment). The owner could claim damages for the car clocking and for the advertisment of his car (he owns it now) being advertised by a garage that does not own it and has no instructions from the owner to sell it. They can't use the excuse that they forgot to take the car off the website as it was cleared updated today as being still available for purchase.

• Advertisement

rubyred wrote:
    I work for a legal firm. There are two issues here. The first being that the car was clocked, and the second being that the car is still being advertised as being for sale when it has been sold for some time. That is false advertising and is a crime (using a pic of the car to advert another car is still false advertisment). The owner could claim damages for the car clocking and for the advertisment of his car (he owns it now) being advertised by a garage that does not own it and has no instructions from the owner to sell it. They can't use the excuse that they forgot to take the car off the website as it was cleared updated today as being still available for purchase.

Cheers for the advice rubyred. My head is melted over this and don't really know what to do about it. I really like the car and begining to wish I didn't stumble across this thread. It looks as though I will probably have to look for a refund because as a mate of mine has pointed out to me, what happens when I want to sell the car on. I will be then selling a clocked car. I want to go to the dealer tomorrow but will need concrete evidence to prove the car was clocked (appreciate help of HPI report from testicle). Is there any other info I need to bring with me. Obviously I feel their response is going to be that they had no idea the car was clocked but I'm nearly sure there was a garage in Longford recently had the same situation and the garage was fined (€500 not much of a fine but I'm sure business suffered). Well at least I have the rest of the day to decide and hang around on boards and decide what to do!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I would nail this guy first with consumer affairs, he is out of order as said on 2 fronts, better spilling the beans before he changes the site

Yes make your case watertight first.
    Also dont accept any arguments from him.Keep to the point.
    Feel sorry for you mate.

Just had a quick work with the senior partner here. You need to say nothing to the garage. Contact the AA to do a report on the car (give them the hpi report etc if you have it - if not they'll look it up). Write to the garage with a COPY ONLY of the report and state that if you don't get a full refund together with compensation within seven days you will have your Solicitors issue proceedings against them. once they pay you, you will have to give back the car and have the hassle of buying a new one, but at least you will be able to sell it on at a later date. You will have to pay for the report but will get it back off the garage. I bet you anything they will pay up to keep it all quiet. AFTER you get your money... ring a local radio station and make a big song and dance (just for extra revenge).

In relation to the fact that your car is still advertised as being for sale. Do a separate letter (but send in with the other one - defo not before or they would know that you are on to them) saying that they should remove it from the website within 24 hours. It clearly shows your registration plate and is illegal.

It doesn't matter whether or not they knew the car was clocked - they should have checked it before they sold it.

Yes make your case watertight first.
    Also dont accept any arguments from him.Keep to the point.
    Feel sorry for you mate.

Good points but at the minute all I have is a print off from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

well the garage advertising the car isn't a crime because it's only an invitation to treat... but apart from all that, no matter how much you like the car, bring it in and bring the paperwork. The garage won't want this to get out as he'll be removed from all the car sites, the papers will slate him and he'll get fined.

You'll get a full refund for the car, and just take your business elsewhere. No doubt he'll claim he didn't know, and maybe he didn't but don't let him make you wait. Tell him tomorrow that you have the evidence, and now that he's seen it you're bringing it back on monday when the banks are open and you want a bank draft. Don't take a cheque and don't take cash, because a cheque might bounce and you could get 10 yards out of the lot and get hopped on for the cash.

maybe you should record the conversation so we can all hear it on monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

Make sure you have all the evidence straight (e.g. HPI report) and then take it to the dealer. You should get your money back straight no problem, dealers are very wary of being unmasked as a clocker these days and it is just not worth it for him if you take it to consumer affairs/solicitor/Carzone etc.

AFTER you have your money back safe in your bank account take it straight to consumer affairs and Carzone anyway, these dealers really need to be named and shamed. Take photos of the speedo before you hand it over, they will argue that the mileage in the ad was a typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

TedKelly wrote:
    Good points but at the minute all I have is a print off from this thread.

Check you PMs!

upsfan wrote:
    AFTER you have your money back safe in your bank account take it straight to consumer affairs and Carzone anyway, .

Carzone and consumer affairs yes. But once you accept the bank draft you can't go to a solicitor. When they give you the bank draft they will make you sign a documents stating that the money is full and final settlement of any claim. Once you take it, you can't pursue it any further as in compensation wise.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote:
    well the garage advertising the car isn't a crime because it's only an invitation to treat...

It's not an invitation to treat when they don't own the item in question. You can't advertise someone else's property without their consent. That would be like me advertising your house on www.myhome.ie when you had no intentions of selling it.

Advertisement