Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car alert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

sharkman wrote:
    Yeah , were you a fan ????:D ;)

Absolutely not! He tried to crack on to my mates girlfriend one night in Tamangoes and my mate had to be restrained by bouncers (most of whom he knows, luckily enough). I think he was dillusional that night thinking he was some A-List Adonis, but have heard he's like that most nights. Nothing would give be greater pleasure to see him being done for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Give him a call on his mobile. They're all listed here

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

flanzer wrote:
    Give him a call on his mobile. They're all listed here
    where is Feltrim Business Paerk?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Well, it has taken me almost a half hour to read through the therad to this post - amazing stuff! Imagine Ted spotting his car like this! That's what gives credit to online communities like this.

Go Ted! (update due today from him!)

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

Seanie M wrote:

Go Ted! (update due today from him!)

Seanie.

No word from them today either, next step will have to be taken over the next couple of days because obviously they are not taking this seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thats bad form, go in with a friend and tell them what you want done about this. What do you want, do you know? Work out what you want to do, keep the car or refund, but go in knowing clearly what you want beforehand and make sure you get it.

And then make a complaint against them in the proper manner even after resolving the situation. Scumbags.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring the salesman tomorrow Ted and tell him their lack of respsonse is only making things worse, for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I fear this thread is going to help the garage in question, if they google their name, they know know what you know. I would suggest deleting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

colm_mcm wrote:
    I fear this thread is going to help the garage in question, if they google their name, they know know what you know. I would suggest deleting it.

I was thinking about that but I'm not sure that it makes any difference. I mean I can't see how this thread benefits them at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It doesn't. The facts cannot be disputed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Get a solicitor involved. At the very least they should be required to pay to cost of hiring a solicitor if they a not prepared to deal with it amicably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ted.

Get down to the dealers as soon as you are free from work.
    Demand to see the main man.
    Say you are not leaving until you speak to him. Carry all the necessary documentation (copies).
    Push for a full refund.
    If I was in your position I think I'd have parked the car in the entrance and refused to move until I got my 14k back.

He's duped you (either knowingly or otherwise) and won't have a problem doing it someone else.

I recently went shopping for a new motor (used) a few weeks back and the experience just drove me away and bought a car down the private route. I'm much happier I did. I was so sick of listening to their bull**** and pathetic offers on my car as a trade.

get your money back!

(this thread makes me angry). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

I reckon consumer affairs is your best bet - takes away the confrontation for you. They should love a dead cert of a case like this, then they can take over your case for you. Chances of them(the garage) listening to you (and seems so far to be the case) - zero.

(Get that Dermot Jewell guy onto it! -used to do consumer affairs thing on 98FM!!!)

On the Consumer affairs website

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Guides_To_Consumer_Law/Buying_a_Car/

down the bottom is a special number to ring if you suspect a car has been clocked - 1890 432 432

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhkfqlcwauey/rss2/

Brief but interesting article on this issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

so you can sell a clocked car

make 5 gard on it and if you get caught you only have to pay 500 !

Thats hardly fair !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I personally at this stage would have the clocked car parked across the doors off the building with a big poster stuck on the inside of the windscreen declaring the fact that the car was clocked and the garage don't have the balls to call me back.

I would then proceed to play some loud music and attract as much attention as possible, I would then get my friend who juggles fire and ask him to do some forecourt side entertainment (he is a bit of a comic as well) .. thus encouraging more people down and the see if those FM104 Beetles would like to do a bit of the odd-one out quiz down there (Idon't even know if they do that) .. but in general a nice big hoolie should garner their attention and maybe, just maybe the garage may then start listening !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

has TedKelly tried the mobile number yet? I don't think he's persuing this as much as he should be.... I'd be hassling them constantly. And I'd repot him to Consumer Affairs, Wherever he advertises, the Gardai, SIMI and more

I agree. Ted it's time to put some serious heat on these chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe the threat of a phone call to Joe Duffy's Live Line show might get the ball rolling?

At the end of the day Ted it is up to you to persue them on this matter, the longer you leave it go the more chance someone has to cover their tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I wouldn't bother trying to contact them at all anymore. you went to them gave them the chance to sort it out and they never returned the call. Maybe they're trying to clean up the mess on other cars before they get caught with those ones. I'd be straight on to my solicitor at this stage and get them to send out a nice letter to the garage scare the crap out of them, and of course informing them that you not only want your money, but also legal costs and some form of compensation to go with it for the hassle. Then I'd be getting on to consumer affairs and SIMI if this place is registered with them.

just realised, i live around the corner from this place, i wondered why i recognised the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I think this is the best advice that's been given...

'Just had a quick work with the senior partner here. You need to say nothing to the garage. Contact the AA to do a report on the car (give them the hpi report etc if you have it - if not they'll look it up). Write to the garage with a COPY ONLY of the report and state that if you don't get a full refund together with compensation within seven days you will have your Solicitors issue proceedings against them. once they pay you, you will have to give back the car and have the hassle of buying a new one, but at least you will be able to sell it on at a later date. You will have to pay for the report but will get it back off the garage. I bet you anything they will pay up to keep it all quiet. AFTER you get your money... ring a local radio station and make a big song and dance (just for extra revenge).

In relation to the fact that your car is still advertised as being for sale. Do a separate letter (but send in with the other one - defo not before or they would know that you are on to them) saying that they should remove it from the website within 24 hours. It clearly shows your registration plate and is illegal.

It doesn't matter whether or not they knew the car was clocked - they should have checked it before they sold it.'

You probably nervous about talking to them ( and why wouldn't you be, it's not a situation you're used to ) whereas they have experience with dealing with the public. So don't talk to them, keep all communications to letters. That way you can think about what you want to say. Definitely get in touch with as many organisations as you can, AA, Consumers, Solictors etc.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

P.S. I see that their website has the car as 'recently sold', updated on Saturday 7th July. So by getting in touch with them they are already getting things sorted on their side. Don't know if this will effect the issue regarding advertising your car for sale after you'd bought it, considering you have several people here ( myself included ) who can say that it was reported as 'In Stock Today' last week...

J.

Act now Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I would be urgently and agressively trying to resolve this at this stage if I were you Ted. You've been reasonable till now, and they have not responded. You are now entitled to be p1ssed.

For all you know, they are trying to cover their tracks in the background.

Also, what happens if they go out of business tomorrow ? You're bunched then.

Deal with it now before it's too late. Delay any further and it may just be ...

Loads of good advice here already. You know what to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

jasonb wrote:
    P.S. I see that their website has the car as 'recently sold', updated on Saturday 7th July. So by getting in touch with them they are already getting things sorted on their side. Don't know if this will effect the issue regarding advertising your car for sale after you'd bought it, considering you have several people here ( myself included ) who can say that it was reported as 'In Stock Today' last week...

J.
    would carzone not be able to verify when that add was changed. The would have records would they not? so they may say "recently sold" on the site (7/7/07) but if the car was sold 3 - 4 weeks ago then they should have had ample time to remove the add so the false advertising bit might still be valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

I'm not sure why you guys are all so concerned about this "left the car advertised on the site after he sold it" stuff- surely the pressing issue here is Ted getting his money back because the f'ing car was clocked?

I'd focus on that and not derail with stuff about "advertising my car," you are only going to give the dealer something else to argue about to dodge the central issue that you want your money back BECAUSE THE CAR WAS CLOCKED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

agreed, and I'd g straight to consumer affairs about it and not to a solicitor first... A solicitors letter doesn't mean a damn thing because the garage will open under a new name and it'll take about 2.5 years to get it to court and all that time you'll be stuck with a clocked car... Also check your receipt and see who signed it, and what car spec was written on it!

Try the garage again and go to consumer affairs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ted, I'm sure you've probably had enough with advice at this stage, but I'd strongly recommend you do not contact this company informally at this stage - either by phone or by calling in.

You need to keep a record of any dealings with them now, and the only way to do that is by communicating with them in writing. I suggest you get straight on to the Consumers Association (http://www.consumerassociation.ie/) - they really are helpful and will speak in plain English about how best you should proceed.

Seriously, I think any advice to ring them or call in is not good advice - no offence to anyone who suggested such - I know we're all on the one side here against dealers selling clocked cars.

Best of luck, you'll get sorted, just might take some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I just think Carzone have assisted this dealer in some way and other dealers who do similar things...i'm sure they would argue that they take no responsibilty for what people post on the site. However among all the other wrongs, this is clearly a case of False and Misleading Advertising. Surely Carzone have to put in place measures to ensure it doesn't happen again such as asking for proof of genuine mileage and in this case a copy of a HPI cert before publishing the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 playchicken

Hi Ted,
    I'm a journalist with a national newspaper. Get in touch. This story should be told.

Advertisement